JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it's just a casual burglar racking may scare him away.. but if it's s determined enemy/stalker you have just given away your position and the fact that you are armed and set him on guard. You have also deprived yourself of one more shell in the gun by keeping the chamber empty or ejecting a live shell. The first thing an intruder will hear in my home is BOOM

Pumps.. Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.. if you are a big fan of guns like the Ruger 10/22 the 870 safety is the same

Auto.. FN SLP all the way, baby

My bedside shotty, Mossberg 500 w-18 inch barrel:

My new FN SLP MK 1 for the Planet of the Apes uprising/Zombie Apocalypse. It has a custom padded muzzle cover strapped on:

I have a stock 870 express HD. I've taken a couple of shotgun classes and am impressed with the skills of good shotgun operators. But I feel like I am missing something. I really cannot imagine clearing or moving through my house with a long gun. How do you more experienced folks see using your shotgun in a HD situation, other than defending a safe room?

Take a look at my Mossberg..

I am a HUGE shotgun fan and they are the most versatile close range weapons system around.. basically a scaled down grapeshot load from the old cannon days Grapeshot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia With the potential here in 2012 to reach out as far as 175 yards with the right shotgun and slug combo

Further, I have yet to read of a man who took a close range full buckshot load and was able to continue true combative actions.. run away to fall down and die? Check. Fall down and die on the spot? Check

A weapon that has the power to kill a grizzly bear is plenty for bad bipeds

Someone mentioned alternating slugs and buck.. best be aware that the point of impact can vary greatly and that can cause you to miss your target and possibly hit what is behind them. I highly recommend the book by David Blinder entitled some of the answer urban shotgun which covers this issue and many more of great importance. I got mine at a gun show and don't know where to get one now, he put out a series for popular weapons and I bought them for my reference library

As many others here have said, it depends on what feels good to you. I count a 12ga pump as an essential item. I've NEVER had a problem with one. (Except when one of my shooters on the range decided to load his magazine with the brass end of the round first, THAT was fun to fix).

I grew up bird hunting with the Remington 870. Served with the 500. To me they're both about the same. Although now I prefer the 500. But that's mainly because scores of drills have tweaked my muscle memory with that particular weapon. I like the controls better now.

After I left the service I went and bought a shorty Mossberg 500 JIC version. Love it. Took off the stock pistol grip and replaced it with a Butler Creek Folder so I have the option if I so choose. Added a side saddle to the receiver and that's it.

Works great for me. The only other thing I would add (and probably will real shortly) is a flashlight.

In addition to your mods (Choate folder) I also added a tritium front bead and the steel heat shield to mine, along with a cheapie Inova LED light for close range ID. If I was starting out anew on a budget the tritium bead and Tac Star Sidesaddle shell holder would be my first mods

In addition to your mods (Choate folder) I also added a tritium front bead and the steel heat shield to mine, along with a cheapie Inova LED light for close range ID. If I was starting out anew on a budget the tritium bead and Tac Star Sidesaddle shell holder would be my first mods

Are you comparing yours to mine? If you are, what heat shield did you use? Is yours the JIC? I've been looking at heat shields online but I'm hesitant to order one. I'm worried about it fitting. Mine has the breacher attachment on the end of the barrel. (Like I'll ever use it, came that way, it would probably suck if somebody took it to the face though).

IMG_20111231_232339.jpg
IMG_20111231_234412.jpg
IMG_20111219_175020.jpg

Mossberg 500 Persuader 18.5"
Simple. Light
Sidesaddle
Laserlite Rail mount
Fenix PD31

in the chamber -04. In the tube buck n ballx2.... then 00, slug, and another 00

Are you comparing yours to mine? If you are, what heat shield did you use? Is yours the JIC? I've been looking at heat shields online but I'm hesitant to order one. I'm worried about it fitting. Mine has the breacher attachment on the end of the barrel. (Like I'll ever use it, came that way, it would probably suck if somebody took it to the face though).

Yes. It has been so long and in a galaxy far far away I have plumb forgot the brand. let me think on it.. if you have a link with good pics I can try to ID it

It looks just like this one:

<broken link removed>

Yes. It has been so long and in a galaxy far far away I have plumb forgot the brand. let me think on it.. if you have a link with good pics I can try to ID it

It looks just like this one:

<broken link removed>

Thanks. I checked that one out. I went to the Mossberg site and they show it there but it sucks that they don't show dimensions. That's one I would consider. I would want something small without a bunch of stuff sticking up off it, looking factory. Like what comes on some of their other shotguns. I'll probably just contact them and get a factory one like that, making sure it will fit my specific model. I've looked at them all over the place on all different kinds of sites and alot of them don't show dimensions and don't say if they work with a model with the breacher barrel on it. I've seen all the Cheaper than Dirt plethora of stuff a million times over. Anyone know any really good sites with lots of Mossberg Accessories? Where do you guys go?

The only other shotgun I would consider is a model 12 winchester, just for the fact that they have no disconector, no need to reset the trigger. Pull it once, hold it down, every round after will fire as soon as the bolt locks home. But alas, good ones are getting hard to come by.
I think the 1300 is the same but I haven't tested it to be sure.

Here are some none form 4 options. this is a super magnum 870, 18.5 w/ mag ext, night sight, 618 surefire w/ led conversion, dome safety, one point line and stippled stock w/ a limb saver.
P1010143.jpg
P1010144.jpg

Another option is a 870 youth 20g, 18.5 barrel and mag ext, night sight, dome safety, speedfeed stock set. NOTE: all youth 870s have a shorter LOP 13" in this case
P1010145.jpg
P1010146.jpg

you don't need 12g, hell a .410 slug is a 41 magnum. the 20g above I've done very well with in 3 gun shots

Here is the speedfeed chicken head grip I modified to fit a mossberg, before the "raptor" grip came out
1298735326.jpg

The gutted out paracord wrap made it for a non slip grip, excellent handling shooting one handed!

I worded that a bit wrong. my point was, you can get the job done with a smaller gage, you dont have to have a 12g. Although I do run a supermag sbs and I have a buddy with a 10g sbs

I'd like to get my hands on a snub nose judge. One more weapon that runs 45lc never hurts

Not really.. the .410 slug is a far cry from a .41 magnum. Box O Truth discussed this in a test of the judge revolver

Yes but a Judge isn't a 18" barrel either.Not saying the 410 is equal to a 41mag,just that a short barrel isn't going to perform as well as a 18-20" shotgun.
Besides,the 410= 45LC in size
The 410 is more than adequate though. I have posted this many times in these threads and probably this one also.The 410 was used for deer hunting all the time back in the 60s and 70s with good success.I believe it will kill a human easily
And if you are a smaller person,it is a better choice than something you are afraid of.
I would use slugs in the 410 for sure

I am sure it can do the job but I don't want any continued argument from a housebreaker, I want him down ASAP

If I was feeling ambitious I would cut open a load of 12 pellet 00 and a .410 slug and show the difference in payload

I am sure it can do the job but I don't want any continued argument from a housebreaker, I want him down ASAP

If I was feeling ambitious I would cut open a load of 12 pellet 00 and a .410 slug and show the difference in payload

I understand.I wouldn't bother with a 410 either.I am big and strong enough to handle them,since the age of 10?
But you and I aren't 100 pounds.Well I'm 110 but anyway.(when I was 10?) Only guns I don't really like are 44mag and bigger hand guns.Shotguns and rifles don't bother me much.

When you say ,on here,that you must have a 12 ga,and some little 110# mother reads it,then she gets confused as to what to have for home defense,because she can't handle a 12ga.

What I am trying to get across is that a 410 will do the job if that's all you can handle.Probably better than any handgun a small person could handle

I'll trust 5 shots of 410 more than 10 shots of 380 or 9mm.

I do agree that a person should use thee biggest caliber or anything they can handle,for self defense.

You catch my drift?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads