JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I read through this posting, and didn't see anyone suggesting to not use a shotgun but use an AR-15. Why not? Maybe I missed it? If so I apologize, but lately I've recommending this a lot more than shotguns.

Considering an AR-15 is easier to use, better capacity, less recoil, and more accurate than a shotgun. With frangible or hollow points it has about the same over penetration issues.

Burt, if one is in that situation with innocents near, they should consider steel duplex 3 inch magnum birdshot and kneeling and aiming at their face/throat to avoid bad angles thru your wall. A little cool headed advance planning can win the battle. As you might imagine I have long since war gamed my situation

You know, the low/high angle strategy has entered into my mind many times as a way to avoid hitting innocents beyond the bad guy. Not just in home defense. Point well taken. Unfortunately, it isn't something that can be practiced well at a range (over berm), but yes I get it. Laying down flat and shooting around corners is something I've practiced a lot also.

I read through this posting, and didn't see anyone suggesting to not use a shotgun but use an AR-15. Why not? Maybe I missed it? If so I apologize, but lately I've recommending this a lot more than shotguns.

Considering an AR-15 is easier to use, better capacity, less recoil, and more accurate than a shotgun. With frangible or hollow points it has about the same over penetration issues.

I mentioned a suppressed AR-15 or pistol for hearing protection just a few posts earlier - scroll up, dude :)

A lot of people would still prefer a shotgun. It is easier to incapacitate the target due to the power and spread of the shot, it is rock-reliable with no cleaning, it can serve other functions (door-breaching, hunting), it is very cheap, intimidating, and it is not that hard on the body in 20ga, with a Knoxx Spec Ops stock and a recoil pad on it.

To me the biggest argument in favor of AR-15 is the ability to suppress it. Kids going deaf after a shotgun blast indoors would be a sad story.