JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well thank you for the help, it seems like an open ended conversation. I just need to "pull the trigger" ... pony up and get one. I do like the speedfeed chicken head grip on that Mossberg!! :)

why is everyone calling it a chicken head? BARFKON? Speedfeed clearly calls it a "birds head pistol grip". I have one on my surbu. Its far to slick to get a good drip on it. I stimped the hell out of mine.

For those looking to get the smallest legal pack and maintain control. I would recommend a houge 12 LOP stock and a 18"

The "best" is what you like and what you will believe in. I have an old Mossy 500, 5rds. in the tube and a shell holder on the stock (6 rds.). I use the street cops "mix", alternating 00 buck and slugs. I figger if I can't stop the threat with that, then I better just run.

Either of those will work fine. I've had both Mossbergs and Remingtons. I like the controls on the Mossberg better, but like the way the Remington fits me, so that's what I have now. I've heard good things about the H&R Pardner Pumps, so that may be another option to consider. I think a typical 870 with extended mag holds seven rounds, so not as many as the Mossberg's nine. However, you'll want to consider how heavy the thing will become when crammed full of shells.

The extra capacity of the mossberg is because it has a 20 inch barrel vs the remingtons 18 inch barrel. The standard 18 inch mossberg 500 only holds 6 rounds and won't accept extended magazine tubes. I believe the 590 will though.

Hands down the 870 (or an 1100), the extra weight helps with recoil, and I don't plan on a field trip with it. Standard capacity is fine, not getting in any fire fights with it. I have seen these guns, personally, with a verified 10,000 rounds through them still function. The only other shotgun I would consider is a model 12 winchester, just for the fact that they have no disconector, no need to reset the trigger. Pull it once, hold it down, every round after will fire as soon as the bolt locks home. But alas, good ones are getting hard to come by.

most of the light alloy shotguns are so weighed down with junk by their owners, having a bare bones all steel shotgun is an advantage. The accessories are maybe of some tactical advantage in some situations, but, to me are just extraneous B.S. In my hallway, in my home, half awake confronting an intruder, these upgrades are nonsense. They will impress your pals at the range knowing that you are an urban ninja.

An all steel gun does have it's benefits.

#4 shot high base loads, because you can't stitch together hamburger.:s0155:

I've got a beat up old 870 with no modifications other than an 18.5" barrel and a $5 Uncle Mikes sleeve on the stock to hold extra shells. It has the standard magazine on it that holds 4 rounds, which for me is plenty. I have never seen the point in spending $$ to tacticool a shotgun. In a home defense scenario I wont be leaving the bedroom with it, in the unlikely event that I ever need to "clear my house" I will be using a handgun. And before spending $$ on a pistol grip I would suggest test firing a few 3" magnum shells with a gun that is so equipped....in addition to being downright painful it is almost impossible to shoot accurately with one. Its a shotgun, not a death ray, and you still need to aim it properly.

590 & 870 are both great HD shotguns, but the idea of scare factor when cocking a pump shotgun is way over rated.

A home defense shotgun is ideally employed from a safe room or barricaded position.

If someone has actually broken into your home, racking the slide on your shotgun to chamber a round and yelling out that you are armed and that the police have been called would definately serve as a powerful "motivator" for that person to vacate your premises immediately. The best possible outcome in such a situation is for the criminal to depart without a shot needing to be fired. Less mess, less trauma, less legal hassles for all concerned.

A person who would continue their threatening advance in the face of such a clear and audible warning would almost certainly be insane, on drugs, or both.

I prefer a pump shotgun over a semi-auto primarily for safety and reliability reasons...but the sound made by racking the slide is a pretty clear and unmistakeable "bonus". It maybe slightly overrated in real-world self defense scenarios, but it sure doesnt hurt.

and the 1300 is the only pump/auto recommended for use with the minishells.

Interesting, deen_ad, is this also true for the 1200? I ask because the shotgun on my side of the bed is a 1200 Marine Stainless with rifle sights, sling and Sidesaddle carrier. The one on her side is a black 8 shot 870 with SureFire's really nice bright forend light.

Mine is loaded with slugs, with buck in the Sidesaddle, ever since last time we had a bear in the back yard. Hers has buck with slugs on the Sidesaddle.

I'd agree that "best" is what works well for you. I happen to have the shiny Winchester and it works for me. She hauled around an 870 when she was a cop, and she's happy with that. My sidearm is a 1911. Hers is a revolver (I was going some to get her to buy into a J-frame for concealment; she favored the M66 she used to carry on duty).

Heck, maybe you're a SASS competitor and your external hammer coach gun is familiar and reliable. I say use what works reliably for you, the one in which you have confidence.

I have a friend who as a teenager heard an intruder "exit" right through their living-room window when Dad racked the action on his gauge. So it does work sometimes, even if it's not the real reason to use a 12 ga. for HD. But if I can dissuade a criminal without shedding his blood, that's the right choice for me.

I'd recommend adding a recoil-absorbing Knoxx stock, which makes practicing a whole lot more pleasant. And the pistol grip/adjustable stock combination is a great asset in tight quarters.

Me: multiple Mossys. Two people with shotguns are IMO about four times as effective as one.

I had a 20" 590 9 shot and ended up selling it because it was just too huge. All those shells in the mag make it pretty muzzle heavy. I got an 18.5" 5 shot 590A1 and the difference is night and day. I added a Hogue short LOP stock and its now an incredibly handy little shotgun. Remingtons are terrific too, but I like the controls of the Mossberg better. See if you can find a gun store with both and see which one fits you better.

I have an 870 Police sitting next to my bed. I stick to the K.I.S.S. theory. Mine has ghost ring sights, Wilson mag tube extension, and nothing else. The only real worth while accessory to a true HD shotgun is a quality light. Mossberg 500s are good shotguns, but a 590 is much better and worth the extra money, an 870P is the best shotgun in my opinion. Also, slings will just cause problems in an HD setting, they get hung up on things you never knew were there in the dark, trust me. Don't "tactifool" your gun up!

The "best" is what you like and what you will believe in. I have an old Mossy 500, 5rds. in the tube and a shell holder on the stock (6 rds.). I use the street cops "mix", alternating 00 buck and slugs. I figger if I can't stop the threat with that, then I better just run.

Like Buzz said, best is what you are comfortable with. I keep a Mossy 500 short barrel next to the bed. It is set up with a ghost ring sighted heat shield and loaded with alternating rounds of #4 and 00 and a side-saddle loaded with same. I also have a Sure-fire tactical lite mounted with a pressure switch on the slide. This IMO is very important so that that you can see what your target may be. I hate pistol grips on a 12 ga. Unless you are very good at using them you can't hit s##t. I much prefer the standard stock so you can shoulder the weapon and better aim it. If you are in an apartment/condo or your neighbors house is in close proximity, you don't want to be shooting slugs or even .00 unless you are sure of your target. Number four will definitely stop someone at close range.