JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know I have another thread on best piston driven rifle but wanting to have another fun conversation on rifles as I make my way towards my choice.

With great respect, I am now asking what is/are your pick(s) for an AR or "AR Type" semi-auto rifle (any style operation) between $1,600 to $3,000. I consider that high-end in terms of price but of course that leaves out the Knight's SR-15 but that thing is Ultra-High-End in my book.

Non-Collector's Edition stuff. Just something someone who has money saved up could go and get.

Reliability, Function, Innovation, Ergonomics, Styling, Weight and (of course) Accuracy should be considered. Use? Whatever you like...I like to use mine at the range and would expect it to be ready for SHTF.

Just have fun with it...that's what we're here for. Thank you in advance!

Last Edited:
Depends on what your using it for…. But I would say off the shelf a BCM or Triarc is your best "fighting" rifle.

For AR-type: LWRC SPR
For non-AR type: AUG (my preferred 5.56)
For AK fans: Polish Beryl

LWRC is the best bang for the buck AR in the game. Their full rifles are fielded around the world, not just bits and bobs like handguards (looking at you Daniel Defense). Their customer service rocks and their QC is excellent.

Build one to your own "high end" specs and hand fit all the parts, keeping tolerance stacking to a minimum. If you build it right with the right tools, you've got a winner

Best for what? What is the philosophy of use? CQB, SPR, DMR, other? Do you prioritize weight, acciracy, ruggedness, durability. resistance to the elements? Subtle hint: You can't pick "all" and have to make hard choices.

you've got a $1500 swing in your price range.

that doesn't feel real. what's the real budget here? straight up. within $200.

and does that number include an optic. for which i would personally budget $500 for a red dot or $1500 for a magnified unit.

again, only my personal experience but there are a lot of good AR manufacturers out there. it's really hard to buy a bad rifle.

a couple areas separate s good rifle form a great rifle.
1) trigger. i like the G guys. budget a couple hundo.

2) BCG - common failure area. and something. that separates the good from the great. go premium here. i'm not gonna argue about which particular premium bcg wins. but go premium here.

i also really really really like the BCM oversize charging handles. but that's a small bill…

for your consideration…

:)

Last Edited:
you've got a $1500 swing in your price range.

that doesn't feel real. what's the real budget here? straight up. within $200.

and does that number include an optic. for which i would personally budget $500 for a red dot or $1500 for a magnified unit.

again, only my personal experience but there are a lot of good AR manufacturers out there. it's really hard to buy a bad rifle.

a couple areas separate s good rifle form a great rifle.
1) trigger. i like the G guys. budget a couple hundo.

2) BCG - common failure area. and something. that separates the good from the great. go premium here. i'm not gonna argue about which particular premium bcg wins. but go premium here.

i also really really really like the BCM overdose charging handles. but that's a small bill…

for your consideration…

:)
Thank you!

Well I am expecting to spend $2,000 but could flex to $3,000 if someone were to convince me that money was worth it (I don't think it is at that point really)...I already have an Aimpoint I can put on it.

Trigger would be nice but if it just comes with a mil-spec, I am good because I have an extra SSA-E sitting here from that Christmas sale.

Best for what? What is the philosophy of use? CQB, SPR, DMR, other? Do you prioritize weight, acciracy, ruggedness, durability. resistance to the elements? Subtle hint: You can't pick "all" and have to make hard choices.
Best for short to medium range. Kind of a "go to" rifle when you have no idea what you're going to face in a SHTF world. Looking for a pinned and welded 14.5" rifle. Have a can already to put on it.

If I were to prioritize my top 3 out of those:
  1. Reliability
  2. Accuracy
  3. Weight
...the rest are still important, I don't want one that'll rust out after a misting of rain or something like that.

Best for short to medium range. Kind of a "go to" rifle when you have no idea what you're going to face in a SHTF world. Looking for a pinned and welded 14.5" rifle. Have a can already to put on it.

If I were to prioritize my top 3 out of those:
  1. Reliability
  2. Accuracy
  3. Weight
...the rest are still important, I don't want one that'll rust out after a misting of rain or something like that.
Why 14.5? Depending on the muzzle device, you could go as low as 13.7 with a pin/weld. I'm assuming the idea is to keep it as legally short as possible? I have a standard dead air flash hider pinned to a 13.9 barrel and it come out to an 8th over 16"

Why 14.5? Depending on the muzzle device, you could go as low as 13.7 with a pin/weld. I'm assuming the idea is to keep it as legally short as possible? I have a standard dead air flash hider pinned to a 13.9 barrel and it come out to an 8th over 16"
I have YHM cans and their flash hider QD is too short to make a 13.9 get to 16. :(

What can I use isn't set in stone yet, it's just that I have the YHM coming and if I had to go to a Dead Air or similar it would be a bit of a wait.

With a budget like that. I vote far less expensive rifle and night vision. Night vision and a cheaper rifle is WAY cooler and more fun than only an expensive rifle.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top