JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'd like to get me a super high capacity mag for my AR. I imagine that the Beta C is the best, but I'd really rather not shell out $270 for one. That also rules out the 150 round one for $400. So I'm looking at the SGM and KCI knock offs of the Beta C, or the MWG single drum 90 rounder. They each go for $120-$140. Has anyone used any of those? I can find very few reviews for the SGM or the KCI, and I see some for the MWG, but it hangs down lower, and it seems like the offset drum would cause the whole rifle to sit awkwardly. Looks like the MWG and KCI are both capable of being stored loaded, which is a requirement for me. I also like the clear backs on the Beta C and MWG. Beta C sells the clear back separately, so I was wondering if that would fit the KCI or SGM.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct896.aspx
http://whatacountry.com/ar15-100rd-dual-drum-magazine-kci---cal-5-56-223.aspx
http://www.mwgco.com/ar-15_accessories/product/SBI-90PD-CC.html

Any opinions or facts for me?

never used any of them but the KCI one can be had for $120 At <broken link removed>
like it or not hi cap mags are sailing off the shelves due to AZ shooting. Spoke with one of their reps that used to work for a friend's shop - he tells me that they went from about 1,200 -1,500 glock 17 mags on the shelf to 500 units on backorder today.

Ahh, I've been waiting for the quad stacks to hit the market. I thought Magpul owned the design? Unforunately, that 100 rounder hangs WAY too far if you ask me. And the price of that 60 rounder sort of negates it's very purpose.

Beta is not reliable as what they say. So are other brands.

To me, 100rd is really useless, unless you are pretty much standing in one spot. Heavy and I don't know how you grip the rile, but it gets in the way.

But each their own.:s0155:

No, not moving to AZ anytime soon, unless they secede with Texas, haha. I've just always wanted to have 100 rounds at my disposal without having to reload. My SHTF scenario would start off in an urban environment, so the faster I can unload, the better. MWG seems to get the most favorable reviews, so I think I'll try that one first. For the price of the Beta C, I sure see lots of iffy reviews. You'd think a molded piece of plastic and a couple of springs would cost a few bucks less. And yes, I do have a pile of 30 rounders as well.

PMAG's are great! The only Mag I use in my AR's!

There are no high capacity pmags yet though. I heard some rumors of 40rd and possibly quad stack 60rd ones, but I haven't ever seen any real evidence. Right now, I think the surefire 60rd quad stack ones are your best bet (or the 100rd ones... though those are kinda long and unwieldy lookin). A bit pricey, but very reliable. They will be sold in stores in March 2011.

There are no high capacity pmags yet though. I heard some rumors of 40rd and possibly quad stack 60rd ones, but I haven't ever seen any real evidence. Right now, I think the surefire 60rd quad stack ones are your best bet (or the 100rd ones... though those are kinda long and unwieldy lookin). A bit pricey, but very reliable. They will be sold in stores in March 2011.
Magpul did patent a polymer quad stack 60 round magazine.

So.. Out of curiosity, when using pmags, does your bolt stay back after the last round is shot?

I use pmags almost 100% of the time too. I had issues with the bolt not always locking back with the old gen 1 pmags (about one in 50 mag changes), but with the current gen pmags I have never had an issue. I am even running a BAD lever now too. I'd buy a 60rd hi-cap pmag if they came out.

Ditch the old pmags if you've got any for the new ones. They are identifiable by their deeper waffling, blank area where a window would be even on the non-windowed version, and lack of a place to clip the feed lips protector on the bottom.
Gen 1 pmag:

Current pmag:

MWG seems to get the most favorable reviews, so I think I'll try that one first.

Even though they appear to be cheaply made, I must say that the MWG's performance impressed me.

I recall the day that I actually melted a GI gas tube with a few of those things, while practicing "non-administrative magazine clearing"............. During this very short period, I did not have one mag malfunction.

If you are just into emptying mud puddles etc, the MWG seems to give the best bang for the buck. However, if you are planning a more serious encounter , ie stalling the Normandy invasion etc., it doesn't lend itself to prone position firing, compared to the lower profile Beta's.

Which ever you choose, I wouldn't recommend buying one of them used, unless you can test fire it in your weapon first. There seems to be a little confusion out there about these things.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top