JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Again interesting. The only gripe I had with my Model 81 was the fixed box magazine. When I first got it I had no cases so I bought a set of Lee dies and simply reformed some Winchester .308 cases. They worked fine and I tried a few different bullet weights and medium charges. I think the heaviest was 180 grain RN and I don't remember it being difficult. Maybe your recoil spring has issues.

I've owned a lot of different guns, and I won't keep one that is unpleasant to shoot (except for the .458 as it's supposed to be uncomfortable) or one that bites my hand. I've cycled through a bunch of "legendary" pistols that bit me. Two Walter PPKS's for starters.
I wouldn't have a single gripe about my Model 81 if it was a police special with the extended box magazine!!! 😂

Beam scales can be very effective and it is all in the 'arrangement'.

For one thing a beam scale needs to be set at (or close to) eye level to be efficient.

I have mine this way with a powder trickler off to the side. With my powder measure set a few grains short of the charge I am using I throw a charge into the pan and set it in the scale. while it is 'settling' Ill seat a bullet on a previous round and set it in the load block. A short twist of the trickler knob tops off my charge and it gets 'thrown' into a case with the help of a fixed funnel mounted on the arm of my powder measure support. Eye level with a beam scale is the key.

I'm going to be up that way in July. I might sneak in there at night just to mess up his bench :s0112: . It's entirely too clean. It is a really nice bench and loading room. @Caveman Jim did an outstanding job.

I used to verify with a beam scale but it got broke in shipping. But I trust my check weights since I used to use them with both scales and they are verified. When doing 300 Savage I weigh them all also, but every 5th on handgun at most, unless it's something like 700x which meters like crap. Using a Lyman (can't remember the model? 2000?). It had mixed reviews but it was what was available at the time. It's actually a good scale I haven't had an issue with mine and it isn't oversensitive. Except when the air conditioning is on and blowing right on it. If I divert the air away it works just fine.

View attachment 880158

I really do hope that you stop by, you have my address so there are very few reasons not to stop in to say hello. If you time it right I may know someone with a boat that guarantees a lot of action on the water...:D:D:D

I always thought it was cute how many weigh each powder charge, especially for rifle.
Think about it, hardly anyone weighs every pistol charge yet on a ratio basis, it's much more important..
.1-.2gr of 5 gr (which most are comfortable with) is WAY more than .1-.2 gr of 50 gr.

Some of us just like to be as precise as we can be, call it being anal butt it twerks fer me. :p:p:p

Last Edited:
I always thought it was cute how many weigh each powder charge, especially for rifle.
Think about it, hardly anyone weighs every pistol charge yet on a ratio basis, it's much more important..
.1-.2gr of 5 gr (which most are comfortable with) is WAY more than .1-.2 gr of 50 gr.
not really tho, people arent loading their rifles within .2gr of dangerous levels they are loading them for 100x the precision and distance of pistol.

not really tho, people arent loading their rifles within .2gr of dangerous levels they are loading them for 100x the precision and distance of pistol.
The powder throw is already many times more "accurate" than a small pistol charge that no one weighs on a ratio basis. We already talked about that

The powder throw is already many times more "accurate" than a small pistol charge that no one weighs on a ratio basis. We already talked about that
Actually not quite correct. As mentioned before "However I've been using an RCBS beam scale for over 40 years and it does the job. I'll weight three consecutive charges and if they are within a kernel or so I'll throw ten charges and weigh that. Then I'll charge 50 cases and weigh the 51st. And then randomly check two or three if in the mood. It appears to work just fine. Unless you're shooting bench rest or thousand yard matches with an expensive match rifle weighing each charge is really a waste of time."

It makes no difference whether pistol or rifle I use the same process and it works pretty well until you get up into the very large charges. Then you have to check five which gives an average, which is usually pretty consistent. I reload .25ACP, now that's a challenge, but the Uniflow seems to handle those dinky charges as well as the big one if the operator does his job.

gol dang reading assignments, when I just wanna chime in whenever I get assigned reading homework. ...

I started with a cheap Frakford DS-750 and wasnt certain such a cheap tiny thing could be trusted for such an important job so I got a Lyman beam scale on sale and started comparing and could see the difference. Now I use them both because I learned if your pour slow but consistent into the digital scale it works out and is faster to use but only if you happen to trickle the exact amount the first time. Something about the way cheap digital scales work it might not register that last kernel that puts it over .1gr or sometimes it does but you gotta wait like 10 minutes for it to register.

Last Edited:
I really do hope that you stop by, you have my address so there are very few reasons not to stop in to say hello. If you time it right I may know someone with a boat that guarantees a lot of action on the water...:D:D:D
I don't want to go fishing I just want you to go fishing while I move everything around in your shop 😆. Seriously, I might take a drive up north and say hi though. Depends on how much time. I only have 7 days and gotta see family and load a trailer. I'll text you and let you know what the deal is brother.

Are you making your own or can you still find those reasonable price?
I've got 30-40 pieces of brass deprimed and tumbled clean and bullets for it. Alas, Hornady doesn't off a shell plate to work with their progressive press so I will have to buy a single stage, the dies and shell holder to reload them....
But since I rarely shoot it and have 100+ rounds of factory ammo-I'm not in any huge hurry to reload them.

I've got 30-40 pieces of brass deprimed and tumbled clean and bullets for it. Alas, Hornady doesn't off a shell plate to work with their progressive press so I will have to buy a single stage, the dies and shell holder to reload them....
But since I rarely shoot it and have 100+ rounds of factory ammo-I'm not in any huge hurry to reload them.
You might try a few of the plates or shell holders you already have. For instance my plate for .40s&w works (#19 lee) fine for my .351 oddball with the turned down rim. Custom plate was ridiculously expensive. Be careful though don't want you to get a ripped rim and a stuck case.

You don't have a friend with a single stage press? Drive up to Sandy with the components and die set and we'll knock them out.

RCBS No. 9 shell holder
6.5mm x 52 Carcano
6.5mm x 54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer
.35 Remington

Something about the way cheap digital scales work it might not register that last kernel that puts it over .1gr or sometimes it does but you gotta wait like 10 minutes for it to register.
10 minutes for it to register?

I'll have 20 or more cases charged and bullets seated in 10 minutes using a beam scale.

10 minutes for it to register?

I'll have 20 or more cases charged and bullets seated in 10 minutes using a beam scale.
not literally, figuratively "feels like" 10 minutes... sometimes when I trickle in just one kernel of powder it takes a few seconds to register on the scale, "feels like" 10 minutes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top