JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like a hot toddy when I catch a cold. Whiskey, lemon juice, honey, and hot water.

I never drank this but I knew some old farmers who swore by this drink. They drank the mixture and got under a bunch of blankets and sweated it out.

Cate

WASH your hands OFTEN and properly. Don't touch your face with dirty hands. Get out of the habit of touching your face even if your hands are clean.

Wear gloves when you go shopping and if you have to touch/push a shopping cart.

If you touch money, pay in cash, ALWAYS wash your hands with soap and water as soon as you can after you pay your bill.

Use hot/warm water, plenty of soap, and rinse like crazy.

Wash your hands with REAL soap, use hot/warm water and rinse like crazy is a better method than those hand sanitizers (?!?) = chemical bottles filled with whatever including alcohol that many people use and they CALL that cleaning their hands?! Ha ha!

Take a good multi vitamin/mineral on a daily basis even if you eat properly, exercise, drink plenty of fluids year round, etc.

If you have a dog/dogs - no matter if you brush/wash/rinse them on a regular basis - always wash your hands when you are done playing with them, petting them, walking them, etc. (Do the same thing if you have any other pet.)

I have more suggestions but it would turn into a Britannica!

Cate - Handwashing Fanatic

Last Edited:
Don't just put Vicks Vapor Rub on your chest and/or back, put on a big old t shirt and cover up like crazy.

Try this, some people swear by it. They put the Vicks on their FEET and put socks on and sleep or sit up like that at home.

I do NOT like to wear socks and shoes at home and I ALWAYS wear slippers year round. Summer and winter slippers. I tried the Vicks with socks on two times and it seemed to help a bit when I slept but just having socks on without having my feet be bare under the covers kind of drove me nuts. I need my feet to be free even if I have a sheet and 2 blankets on top of them!

Extra long hot steamy showers may be better for you than putting your head near a humidifier/vaporizer with the heat on in cold climates or putting a tea pot on a wood stove.

My MT husband had family members who picked elderberries and made syrup out of it. You can buy this at a health food store - syrup or in a tincture.

You can take Kosher grape or blackberry wine, put some in a mug and fill it up with boiling water too. Drink it while it is still hot but don't burn yourself. That will coat your throat and may help with your germs better than a salt/warm water gargle.

Cate
Added more.

Last Edited:
Emergen-C
Cheapest i've seen these is at a grocery outlet. Got them in mix water packs or tablets.

And a mens one a day daily multivitamin. Just make sure its got Zinc and Magnesium those help fight off the colds from what I hear. High A/B/C helps too. Hydration absolutely helps too.

Night Quill extra strength cold and flu night time medicine. Do not take too much. Wow. This stuff drys me out and lets me sleep. Hot water hand washing. Alcohol gel hand wiping. Orange juice without the vodka.. Eight hours sleep. Keep hydrated. Watch the acetaminophen daily totals. Liver toxic.

ex RN.

Night Quill extra strength cold and flu night time medicine. Do not take too much. Wow. This stuff drys me out and lets me sleep. Hot water hand washing. Alcohol gel hand wiping. Orange juice without the vodka.. Eight hours sleep. Keep hydrated. Watch the acetaminophen daily totals. Liver toxic.

ex RN.

Took some last night. Woke up finally feeling remarkably better after nearly a week of misery. Pretty sure I had strep throat for the past three days, based on past cases I had and visual symptoms. Was going to go to the doc today and get some antibiotics, but I woke up with no throat pain, no fever, and my voice almost normal.

Mumble a lot to yourself and with your beard prominently exhibited wear a burka shod your tootsies in oversized boots and infected people (and everyone else) will magically stay away from you.

No colds for you.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top