JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because Colt revolvers are so feared and deadly accurate, that when a bad guy sees one he runs away and if he doesn't, it only takes one shot to dispatch him.
You then have plenty of time to reload that one empty shell casing.

Like Wayno says, the M28 is great. I have had mine for over 30 years and never a complaint. I had put a Wolfe spring kit in a long time ago and made a good gun better. The 686 is good, the Rugers are good, the Colts are good if you can afford them. MSRP for a new blued S&W M27 is well over a grand, but they are fine too.

I recently picked up a Ruger SP 100 3 inch, Wiley Clapp edition, matte black. I loooooooooove it. I love it so much I ordered one for my father. He doesn't "like" firearms as much as I do, but he lives down around Josephine county where it's sort of like the wild west these days. I trust that 6 well placed .357 JHP will persuade the scum to reevaluate their life choices if only for a brief few seconds.

I recently put a set of the newly available ATI grips on my Taurus 605, a 357 snubbie, they really help control the gun. regular 38s are a pleasure, 38+P not too bad, hot 357 about 20 to 25 rounds was all I wanted to do.

I am considering a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal Magnum. I already have 357s and a 44 for walking in the woods

image.jpg

Looking at the 357 cartridge what is the best revolver to get the most out of the cartridge?

Again, I will respond to a question with a question .... How do you define "best"? Best for hunting? Best for concealed carry? Best for home defense or defense in the woods? Best for quality and dependability? Best for versatility? Best for the number of rounds in the cylinder? Best for value? Please define your requirements.

I have a Smith 7-shot 686Plus 4-inch that I use for home and woods defense, which I believe is the best all-around configuration. I have a 5-round Ruger SP101 snubby that I can use for general home defense and concealed carry. I have a couple of 4.5-inch Ruger Vaquero single action guns that I use for cowboy shooting, but that can also be just fine in the woods or for home defense. I am not a hunter, so the maximum barrel length I would ever consider is 6 inches, but that platform is awkward to carry and draw from a holster quickly.

If I want maximum velocity out of a 357 cartridge, I use my Marlin 1894c lever rifle in 357. No revolver will approach the Marlin for bullet velocity. With Buffalo Bore "heavy" 180 grain 357 rounds, the terminal ballistics approaches a 30-30.

If I had to choose just one revolver, I would go with the Smith 686Plus 4-inch. Paired with my Marlin.

Oh to need a little timer to see the difference in how fast you shoot
Must have been slow on the ruger,he looked at the timer and said lets go look at the target.
But .78 seconds for 5 shots on the S&W to .98? on the Python.
That's ridiculous

If you're going to carry it around all day, a K frame Smith, 3-4" barrel sends those rounds yonder in perfect fashion. An equivalent in weight but more durable gun is the Ruger Six guns.
A GP-100 (Ruger) will last generations.. unless you're a tarded machine. lol
I have a stainless S&W 66-2 in .357 with a 4" barrel. I was actually looking for a 686 when I bought it, but the price was right. I've never regretted it. The DA trigger is crisp and butter smooth. Great pistol all around.

Again, I will respond to a question with a question .... How do you define "best"? Best for hunting? Best for concealed carry? Best for home defense or defense in the woods? Best for quality and dependability? Best for versatility? Best for the number of rounds in the cylinder? Best for value? Please define your requirements.

I have a Smith 7-shot 686Plus 4-inch that I use for home and woods defense, which I believe is the best all-around configuration. I have a 5-round Ruger SP101 snubby that I can use for general home defense and concealed carry. I have a couple of 4.5-inch Ruger Vaquero single action guns that I use for cowboy shooting, but that can also be just fine in the woods or for home defense. I am not a hunter, so the maximum barrel length I would ever consider is 6 inches, but that platform is awkward to carry and draw from a holster quickly.

If I want maximum velocity out of a 357 cartridge, I use my Marlin 1894c lever rifle in 357. No revolver will approach the Marlin for bullet velocity. With Buffalo Bore "heavy" 180 grain 357 rounds, the terminal ballistics approaches a 30-30.

If I had to choose just one revolver, I would go with the Smith 686Plus 4-inch. Paired with my Marlin.
One reason I like my S&W 66-2 is that my antique Remington No.1 rolling block rifle is also chambered for .357 Mag (the restoration is a whole other story). If I carry them together I have both pistol and rifle ammo on my belt.
with the Remington's 28" barrel the muzzle velocity is 1800 fps, which, as you say, puts it pretty close to a .30-30 round.

Zeke, I recently came into a 66 no dash and I really like it. I actually sold my only grail gun for the dough. Although not as stout as some of the others, it's a sweet revolver.

However, my favorite all around .357 is a stainless 4" Ruger Security Six. It handles heavy loads and I like the combination of its stoutness and it's not overly bulky. It doesn't have the pedigree of a Colt or a Smith, but it's a fine gun. (Although I think the 6" barrel SS is better looking.)

Zeke, I recently came into a 66 no dash and I really like it. I actually sold my only grail gun for the dough. Although not as stout as some of the others, it's a sweet revolver.

However, my favorite all around .357 is a stainless 4" Ruger Security Six. It handles heavy loads and I like the combination of its stoutness and it's not overly bulky. It doesn't have the pedigree of a Colt or a Smith, but it's a fine gun. (Although I think the 6" barrel SS is better looking.)
Like I said, I was looking for a 686, but when I picked up that 66 it just felt so right in my hand that I couldn't walk out without it. It didn't hurt that it's a high polished stainless with really nice walnut grips.

Well I had several considerations in getting a new revolver, I have three 357's, 4" Blackhawk, 6" GP100, and a snubbie Taurus 605 and I like all three, I have two 38's a LCR and a nice 637 J Frame and they are shrouded or bobbed and both +P capable, the Taurus 605 has a exposed hammer all the snubbies a five shooters. I wanted some power, but a six shooter so I just found and bought a LCR in 327 Federal Mag. I have ammo for it and some more coming. Winter coat pocket carry

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top