JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your looking for the toughest .357 (hunting and heavy loads) try and find an old ruger redhawk in .357 they made them for a few years. other options are S&W 686 or model 27-28 if you like single action the Blackhawk or a Magnum research BFR. For a concealed carry I like S&W model 60 or Ruger sp101. Full size duty carry I like the old K frame smiths but would take a gp100 or 686

I had a S&W M-10 HB 4" that was perfect in my hand. After years I up-graded to an identical M-65 4" 357 mag. I've held a few speed six's that felt pretty good and w/a spring kit would rock and roll. I have not used any of the "8-Shooters" but imagine that the big cylinder would be a bother for CCW.
I would search and search till you find what works in your budget

I have owned and/or shot most all different makes and models. For me, the 686 4" is the best if you are shooting hunting loads and it is not your primary hunting revolver. A 6" fits the bill for a dedicated hunting 357. For woods carry as a side kick to a rifle, I like the 4" SP101. As to SA revolvers, I just don't shoot them as well.

Bottom line, if I had to pick just one, I will take the 4" 686.
Dave

This one...

39095142-3297-44db-8555-08f5237cbfda_zpsdnvfzhm2.jpg

Last Edited:
I sure do love my 4" S&W 581 for owb carry in a thumb break holster.

The .357, with all that propellant, is quite a different beast depending on barrel length. Ballisticsbytheinch.com has great test results using different barrel lengths. Also with some common guns. Cylinder spacing also affects the ballistics obviously.

It was eye opening to me to see the difference in total force coming out of a snubbie vs a longer barrel.

Last Edited:
And 4"+ is for misinformed wannabees that leave/keep dat gat in the safe. 3" is best but 4" is acceptable.. for target or "game". and ya shoot the dang thing DA. Only.

My 6" gp100 isn't a daily carry; it's a woods gun and yes, I keep it as a bump in the night gun.

My CC is a compact simi-auto 9mm.

Just two penny's from a misinformed wannabe:p.

Edit and apparently mistaken as well:D

Last Edited:
Read your regs. In Washington you CAN HUNT big game with a 4" handgun.... Just sayin'

Doh!

I would have put money on that 6" rule but your right, that's what the rules say.

(I was even glad I got the 6" when I "thought" I found out it was the minimum to hunt with...)

thanks for the fact check;)

My pleasure! I carry a legal to hunt with revolver or 10mm when deer hunting. If opportunity presents itself, I would not hesitate to take the shot. I have taken a deer with a 7 1/2" 44mag. It is a challenge and fun!

My pleasure! I carry a legal to hunt with revolver or 10mm when deer hunting. If opportunity presents itself, I would not hesitate to take the shot. I have taken a deer with a 7 1/2" 44mag. It is a challenge and fun!

What strikes me as "funny" are some of the "smaller" handgun calibers that people carry as "protection" against "2-legged animals", when some of these "2-legged animals" can weigh 275+ lbs, be messed-up on meth (or other bad dope), and not "want to be stopped", but won't use the same gun & ammo to kill a deer with. Deer are actually pretty easy to kill.

I carry a 6" barreled Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum. loaded with 6 rounds of Underwood (high-performance) XTP JHPs, and I carry it with the confidence that the bullet will stop anything that needs stopped.

39095142-3297-44db-8555-08f5237cbfda_zpsdnvfzhm2.jpg

Last Edited:
Depends on what you're looking for. If you are the flashy, money no object type, you have a Colt Python. If you're a revolver hipster, you might have a Korth (a gun so cool you haven't heard of it.) If you like an investment piece that you can still afford (for the moment) you might buy a classic S&W, and if you just want something to shoot that won't lock up, blow up, or lose value with every shot taken, you go Ruger. Then, if you don't read or believe Internet gun forums, you might have purchased a Taurus.

There are far too many sexy Smiths being posted here, so i have to add my only revolver (hope to rectify this year) to the pics listed.

GP100-1.jpg

GP100-2.jpg

GP100-1.jpg

GP100-2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class