JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Will a Benjamin/Sheridan hold its air charge for a long period of time? We're having a lot of trouble with pesky squirrels and I would like to keep it charged with air for those quick shots. Pumping takes time and the critters are usually gone by the time I get ready.

They're chewing holes in my shops sheet rock to get at the insulation for nesting and chewing holes in our seed buckets. Also eating all the seeds we put out for the birds. I get one now and then. the dog gets one now and then, as does the cat. It's been a constant fight but the squirrels are winning.

I like squirrels in their habitat, but when they get in mine, I draw the line.

Get a Benamin nitro rifle- super quiet more so than the Sheridan pump plus you can leave it cocked indefinitely with out issues since it uses a nitrogen piston as power source.

Thanks, OFADAN
Been waiting for other replies, but the air gun forum seems quiet.

I'd like to have several more air guns, but due to retirement and financial restrictions, any new purchases must come at the expense of something else....usually the sale of another gun that I hate to lose. I've given up my hunting guns in favor of "fun" guns. Mostly .22's and a .357 mag. revolver and rifle. Guns more useful to me since I gave up hunting due to age related things.

I purchased the Benjamin-Sheridan C9 back in July of 95 and chose that particular model since I had one as a kid. I also like the fact that I can chose my power and it requires nothing besides pellets to make it work. And any scope will be OK where as a "spring" gun requires a scope made for spring guns. It's a .20 cal. and packs a wallop compared to a .17 cal. It is also quite accurate.....more so than I. Five shots the size of a dime at 40' is not very hard to do, rested.

Lately, I've been researching the Benjamin-Sheridan C9 as well as some others and have learned a lot. As to my original question of how long it will hold an air charge? Apparently a long time, if the seals are good. Mine holds a light charge for what seems like, forever. A heavy charge for at least 24 hours and perhaps much longer. I haven't tried longer than that. I wish it had a charge indicator on it...a gauge to show me the state of pressure.

A custom CO2 airgun may fit the bill for you. You can get a 2300 pistol or 2400 rifle for under $100 if you wait for free shipping. Pretty solid gun and you get about 30 shots per $1.00 co2 cartridge. You can pick and choose some upgrades for a few more bucks.

I have a Benjamin Maurader which is PCP (3000 psi compressed air) and holds a charge for a long time. Extremely quiet so squirrels wouldn't hear the gun at all. about $500. Shoots .22 pellets at 1000 fps. It can take down a raccoon.

another one I have is a Hammerli 850 AirMagnum. It uses 88 gram CO2 cylinders. Very nice. Pretty quiet.

Does anyone know if its hard to change out the seals? Moving some of the wife's grandfather's estate and we came across some of the Sheridan pumps today. A couple had a tag that said low pressure on them, weren't sure if there was anyway to fix them. They look fun and would be good to terrorize some pests.

Does anyone know if its hard to change out the seals? Moving some of the wife's grandfather's estate and we came across some of the Sheridan pumps today. A couple had a tag that said low pressure on them, weren't sure if there was anyway to fix them. They look fun and would be good to terrorize some pests.

Yes they can be rebuild and tuned up.

QUOTE=STNOSU;1040721]Does anyone know if its hard to change out the seals? Moving some of the wife's grandfather's estate and we came across some of the Sheridan pumps today. A couple had a tag that said low pressure on them, weren't sure if there was anyway to fix them. They look fun and would be good to terrorize some pests.[/QUOTE]

Yes they can be repaired and even hot-rodded. Go here for a ton of information: GTA - Index - Airguns & Guns Forum[

And here: http://www.arld1.com/

Crossman owns them now and they don't offer parts or assistance on the older sheridans. I have replaced the seals on a 1990 ish silver streak. It takes a special tool. It's not possible to do w/o it. I ordered an aftermarket seal kit from pyramid air. It came with a rough parts diagram and the tool. It was a head scratcher at times but totally doeable if you are fairly handy.

Crossman owns them now and they don't offer parts or assistance on the older sheridans. I have replaced the seals on a 1990 ish silver streak. It takes a special tool. It's not possible to do w/o it. I ordered an aftermarket seal kit from pyramid air. It came with a rough parts diagram and the tool. It was a head scratcher at times but totally doeable if you are fairly handy.

You can make the tool yourself quite easily. Mostly all you need is an assortment of O-rings and a little O-ring grease. A lot of the high end older paintball guns are built out of Sheridan parts and designs. They are pretty simple to work on. I've hotrodded several early high end paintball guns. The basic mechanisms are the same as the pump pellet guns.

I generally shoot them but traps work when you are.. working.
One that only kills squirrels is a black pvc pipe trap, angled against a favored tree and the bottom end in a bucket of water.. smear peanut butter some inches down inside the top end of the pipe. It's self resetting and will kill a lot of them before having to empty.

sheridans are suppose to be stored with a couple of pumps in them ,it makes the seals last a long time if you do. for the guy that said he found some that were tagged low pressure they may have been labeled that way when put away to remind them that they had a couple of pumps in them,

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top