JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For all my fellow rimfire race gunners out there that may have not seen or heard about the new Mantis Mk4, then check out the link below. It's been making the rounds at most of the local rimfire steel challenge/speed steel matches. My pre order is already in and you should get your's in too! :D

$1000?? Is it made out of gold lol? Ouch! Why not just buy a rimfire rifle (or two) for that price? I genuinely don't see a need for it, but maybe others do.

For all my fellow rimfire race gunners out there that may have not seen or heard about the new Mantis Mk4, then check out the link below. It's been making the rounds at most of the local rimfire steel challenge/speed steel matches. My pre order is already in and you should get your's in too! :D

It really hard to tell what that is from their photos. It's just a bunch of close ups. Is the front tube a giant silencer? If so that's pretty cool and I would love to see real sound levels with it. Giant volume and 22 generally means ridiculously quiet. Those guys need to hire a photographer or learn how to take pics. For speed steel I would just use whatever config gun you like with a binary trigger (unless binary not allowed). Double taps sound like one shot they are so fast. Do they sell just the long suppressor by itself?

Last Edited:

I think if they were to emphasize the modularity and swapping between the customers pistol and their rifle conversion upper it might appear more attractive, otherwise it comes off as a conversion kit with a pretty limited application for speedsteel matches. Note, the Mantis only comes with a 5.5" long barrel inside all that other cosmetic stuff to make it handle like a rifle. For $500... im not certain why not just buy a dedicated speedsteel rifle?

It is a good idea.

Might have a fatal flaw though. If it is not permanently attached, it is an SBR. If the front is just a hand guard and it uses the Rugers barrel inside, that doesn't become the barrel. If the sleeve is to be counted towards barrel length, it must be permanently attached to the barrel. Otherwise it's just considered a part not a barrel. The barrel is still sub 16" and therefore still just put a stock on a handgun.

I see where you all are going though. Taking a reliable rimfire action and adapting it to become a lightweight rifle for speed steel / steel challenge.

It is a good idea.

Might have a fatal flaw though. If it is not permanently attached, it is an SBR. If the front is just a hand guard and it uses the Rugers barrel inside, that doesn't become the barrel. If the sleeve is to be counted towards barrel length, it must be permanently attached to the barrel. Otherwise it's just considered a part not a barrel. The barrel is still sub 16" and therefore still just put a stock on a handgun.

I see where you all are going though. Taking a reliable rimfire action and adapting it to become a lightweight rifle for speed steel / steel challenge.
Says the sleeve is pinned and welded.

Says the sleeve is pinned and welded.
Good. I missed that part. That would be a big oversight!

I dig it. I know those that compete at this level are always looking for reliability when it comes to 22lr and the Mark Series has that and a huge aftermarket support system for going fast.

It is a stock Ruger receiver and bolt (upgraded with VQ firing pin and extractor) with a 5.5" barrel with a pin and welded sleeve and a carbon fiber tube. I usually shoot both a rimfire pistol and a rimfire rifle when I shoot speed steel matches. (A Ruger Mk4 and a S&W 15-22). The Mantis will make it easier with regards to load-out as I only need to bring one set of mags and and the manual of arms stays the same as well as the trigger..

It's obviously it's not going to be for everyone. Yes, you could use a $500 rifle and call it a day, but I'd rather customize my guns to my liking. The price is going to be subjective. Some folks will drop several thousands on a Staccato for USPSA and not think twice. To them it's worth it. For me on the other hand, no way. With the Mantis though, I think the juice is with the squeeze, others may not and that's ok. I also like the fact that I'm supporting a local business. :)

Last Edited:
It really hard to tell what that is from their photos. It's just a bunch of close ups. Is the front tube a giant silencer? If so that's pretty cool and I would love to see real sound levels with it. Giant volume and 22 generally means ridiculously quiet. Those guys need to hire a photographer or learn how to take pics. For speed steel I would just use whatever config gun you like with a binary trigger (unless binary not allowed). Double taps sound like one shot they are so fast. Do they sell just the long suppressor by itself?
Binary trigger or similar, are not allowed (you can have a binary type trigger, but you have to utilize it as a normal trigger).

For $500... im not certain why not just buy a dedicated speedsteel rifle?
Hmm, good point for $300-500 you can get a 10/22 or a S&W AR22. It would be like shooting a Savage Axis in F-Class. Sure you can do it and you may even be competitive because by the grace of god you got the one who's muzzle was cut correctly and you are from the same stock as Vasily Grigoryevich Zaitsev. You also chew on your bullets for good luck.

I think the thing people are misunderstanding here is that there is a big difference in every sport when it comes to introductory gear and where things evolve as you improve and get more competitive. From my perspective this is actually cheaper on the long haul if you are into speed steel as you aren't customizing two firearms. You also have less gear to haul around the match. You know I am talking about you guys with your baby carriages outfitted with ski racks. (You know who you are. Look at me I got 2 10/22s incase one of them fails ... )

A few points to why I can see this being an advantage:
1. Action/Magazine: The Ruger Mk series (variants) makes up around 60-70% of the pistols I have seen at rimfire steel matches. They tend to be more reliable than the 10/22 and ar15-22s I have seen (my perspective, I understand that yours is 100% reliable on all ammo and that Ruger wants to buy it back because it has shot 1 million rounds perfectly). We are on the 4th generation of that action design. The magazine has been developed longer and is a simpler design with easier takedown. The same magazines go between your pistol and rifle meaning less crap to carry too.

2. Weight: The rifle is lighter than a 10/22 or a AR15-22 and looks lighter for where it matters. The barrel weight/front stock is crazy light meaning it takes much less energy to swing and you have less chance of overshooting the target. The inertia is critical. These barrels are common in steel challenge for these reasons and offered for the other guns at around $250-500. If you run a stock gun the weight at the end will slow you down it is just the physics of it.

3. Ergonomics: It uses the same trigger and lower as a Mark IV this means you only need to setup one. This should allow for ease of transition between the firearms. You know where your trigger will break. The magazines only need to be tuned to that one lower so if you are setting up a custom magazine release it is done for that group of mags. The grip is exactly the same. The action feel is the same. Consistency wins competitions and I can see having the same base action and same lower giving that. The stock looks a hell of a lot more ergonomic for bringing up from ready than any stock gun. You would likely spend another $150 on that alone.

I get the impression the OP must have had a good experience and shoots competitively enough to know what is up. This is clearly developed with a particular sport in in mind and is more specialized then any stock gun.

Last Edited:
Hmm, good point for $300-500 you can get a 10/22 or a S&W AR22. It would be like shooting a Savage Axis in F-Class. Sure you can do it and you may even be competitive because by the grace of god you got the one who's muzzle was cut correctly and you are from the same stock as Vasily Grigoryevich Zaitsev. You also chew on your bullets for good luck.

I think the thing people are misunderstanding here is that there is a big difference in every sport when it comes to introductory gear and where things evolve as you improve and get more competitive. From my perspective this is actually cheaper on the long haul if you are into speed steel as you aren't customizing two firearms. You also have less gear to haul around the match. You know I am taking about you guys with your stupid baby carriages outfitted with ski racks. (You know who you are. Look at me I got 2 10/22s incase one of them fails ... )

A few points to why I can see this being an advantage:
1. Action/Magazine: The Ruger Mk series (variants) makes up around 60-70% of the pistols I have seen at rimfire steel matches. They tend to be more reliable than the 10/22 and ar15-22s I have seen (my perspective, I understand that yours is 100% reliable on all ammo and that Ruger wants to buy it back because it has shot 1 million rounds perfectly). We are on the 4th generation of that action design. The magazine has been developed longer and is a simpler design with easier takedown. The same magazines go between your pistol and rifle meaning less crap to carry too.

2. Weight: The rifle is lighter than a 10/22 or a AR15-22 and looks lighter for where it matters. The barrel weight/front stock is crazy light meaning it takes much less energy to swing and you have less chance of overshooting the target. The inertia is critical. These barrels are common in steel challenge for these reasons and offered for the other guns at around $250-500. If you run a stock gun the weight at the end will slow you down it is just the physics of it.

3. Ergonomics: It uses the same trigger and lower as a Mark IV this means you only need to setup one. This should allow for ease of transition between the firearms. You know where your trigger will break. The magazines only need to be tuned to that one lower so if you are setting up a custom magazine release it is done for that group of mags. The grip is exactly the same. The action feel is the same. Consistency wins competitions and I can see having the same base action and same lower giving that. The stock looks a hell of a lot more ergonomic for bringing up from ready than any stock gun. You would likely spend another $150 on that alone.

I get the impression the OP must have had a good experience and shoots competitively enough to know what is up. This is clearly developed with a particular sport in in mind and is more specialized then any stock gun.
I still don't understand is the purpose due to need for 16" barrel?, integrallly suppressed?, other?

If a person wants a very fast (in terms of acquiring and hitting multiple targets) and accurate 22 pistol for multiple targets all you need is a reliable gun with good mechanical accuracy, a red dot, and stabilization.

That can be done very inexpensively and unless you are shooting over 100 yards woudl be as fast or faster and probably just as accurate. But testing head to head is always the best way to compare imo. I've seen universal pistol stabilization options (molded plastic) for as low as $70, or the one shown below is a bit more but you can put different braces or stocks (if a stock it must be stamped) on it.

F.e.

Last Edited:
I still don't understand is the purpose due to need for 16" barrel?, integrallly suppressed?, other?

If a person wants a very fast (in terms of acquiring and hitting multiple targets) and accurate 22 pistol for multiple targets all you need is a reliable gun with good mechanical accuracy, a red dot, and stabilization.

That can be done very inexpensively and unless you are shooting over 100 yards woudl be as fast or faster and probably just as accurate. But testing head to head is always the best way to compare imo. I've seen universal pistol stabilization options (molded plastic) for as low as $70, or the one shown below is a bit more but you can put different braces or stocks (if it's stamped) on it.

F.e.

Is that your creation? Have you shot it in speed steel before?

You don't want a suppressed gun for steel challenge as it doesn't register on the timers used. 16" would make sense here for legal reasons and a longer handguard for better front support.

I don't believe the ergonomics of what you showed there would be as effective for many reasons such as lack for foregrip, head to stock placement, poor repetitive lock in the cusp of your shoulder etc.

Accuracy in a vise yes I agree, but practical accuracy of you supporting the weapon and getting a repeatable grip no.

You should bring it out to a match though and prove me wrong it might be the next winning combination :)

Last Edited:
Is that your creation? Have you shot it in speed steel before?

You don't want a suppressed gun for steel challenge as it doesn't register on the timers used. 16" would make sense here for legal reasons and a longer handguard for better front support.

I don't believe the ergonomics of what you showed there would be as effective for many reasons such as lack for foregrip, head to stock placement, poor repetitive lock in the cusp of your shoulder etc.

Accuracy in a vise yes I agree, but practical accuracy of you supporting the weapon and getting a repeatable grip no.

You should bring it out to a match though and prove me wrong it might be the next winning combination :)
You can hit anything you want with it as fast as you want. Forward grip (front support) only way I could see that as possible with this setup is a barrel/suppressor mount front foregrip. I don't think it's needed personally. But if I have a barrel mount adapter in my parts bin I might try it just for fun. A lot of the other things you said seems to be speculation and does not match at all what I experience when shooting. Front grip helps with my stabilized Glock 34 but that's 9mm vs 22.

Last Edited:
You can hit anything you want with it as fast as you want. Forward grip only way I could see that as possible with this setup is a barrel/suppressor mount front foregrip. If I have a barrel mount adapter in my parts bin I might try it just for fun. A lot of the other things you said seems to be speculation.
Not from what I have seen with the most competitive shooters in the sport.

Which matches do you attend? I love to see your rig work when you get it going. I shoot at Douglas ridge quite a bit we have a monthly 22 match you should bring it out.

Just curious if you see the brace still preferable when you include the legal issues? It will probably get overturned but for now it seems less than an ideal solution given the time to sbr and the stamp.

mm, good point for $300-500 you can get a 10/22 or a S&W AR22. It would be like shooting a Savage Axis in F-Class. Sure you can do it and you may even be competitive because by the grace of god you got the one who's muzzle was cut correctly and you are from the same stock as Vasily Grigoryevich Zaitsev. You also chew on your bullets for good luck.
To clarify, im not dissin on the Mantis im just suggesting they put more emphasis on the modularity of it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews