JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Both my wife and I are very process oriented and analytical about most things we do. We have been approaching the decision about obtaining our CHL's in the same manner. I have decided to get my Oregon CHL. She is undecided but has an open mind and is doing her own research and wants to join me in this process if for no other reason then to know what implications I face as a CHL holder.

We are looking for suggestions on the following:
- Recommended CHL class in the Corvallis/Eugene and surrounding area with an emphasis on the law regarding self defense.
- Woman focused live fire pistol training. Ideally will offer beginning, intermediate, advanced, self defense courses under a single roof. Teaching/training is not a skill I poses and my wife would be better served receiving instruction from a professional.
- Pistol training for me. I feel I am already proficient but would like to tear everything down and start with a basic course and learn everything again via professional instruction working my way up to advanced classes.
- Recommended reading.
- Recommended videos.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Obtaining a CHL is important to "exempt" yourself from many gun laws. Example in Portland
if you have a loaded magazine it is considered a loaded gun. Even if you have no gun. CHL
holders are exempt. Transporting a firearm can be a problem without CHL.;)

There's a brand new chapter of The Well-Armed Woman in Salem. Check their website. Also, you can search NRA instructors and classes on the NRA website.

Here's a list of NRA instructors with some names in your area... Instructors - Oregon Firearms Federation

You and your wife may find many of the more than 120 articles in Kathy Jackson's blog - corneredcat.com - to be educational and helpful in moving you toward your CHL goal and beyond. Kathy is from Seattle but has been to many PNW locations as an instructor.

Last Edited:
About Oregon Security Training - Be Safe Out There!

I went thru this guys course for work related and it also pertains to getting your CHL in oregon. Good informative class. 2 days in class going over rules/laws etc and practical handling training dry. Then 3rd day is range qualification. Money well spent.

if you want to DM me a email I can send you the course material. Unfortunately I cannot upload PDF's here.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top