JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^This^^
The only rifle I ever had that would shoot decent groups, but move the POI around between groups, was sensitive to the tension/tightness of the stock screw.
Oddly enough, the problem showed up when the screw was too tight. I noticed once I started paying attention to how tight I kept the stock screw on all my guns, most of them became more consistent.

Lesson learned. Don't over tighten that screw.
Which should equate to a bedding problem,correct?
"Too tight" would mean the screws are putting too much pressure in one pace and not another
If it is bedded perfect then the screws wouldn't be able to change anythingo_O

Which should equate to a bedding problem,correct?
"Too tight" would mean the screws are putting too much pressure in one pace and not another
If it is bedded perfect then the screws wouldn't be able to change anythingo_O
I would tend to agree.
The problem with that is, I don't know of anything made by a human's hands I can classify as "perfect."

Even the best 'smith, after doing the best job he can do, is going to tell you not to overtighten that screw. And that for consistent shooting, it needs to have consistent tension.
It's not unusual for match shooters to use an in/lbs specification when tightening that screw, and storing their match rifles with the tension backed off.
It's that critical.

Also look at your scope mount picatinny rail. If it shows wear too, like the bottom of your action, it's loose. I had a problem recently on a rifle, 2 bullets would touch, then drift 2-4" and two shots touch, then drift, with no apparent rhyme or reason. There at the range, while I was checking torque on the receiver screws, I pushed hard on my scope and felt the scope and rail move.
Turns out, when it warmed up, the screws would grow and the mount loosen.
Solved it by replacing the screws with SS ones I had in my toolbox, lower coefficient of expansion.
If you think you'll attempt at glass bedding it, I can send you some Silicone spray mould release. Works great, no stickee in the wrong places.

Also look at your scope mount picatinny rail.
Well I decided to take the rail off and start over. I bought a flat rail to replace the 20MOA that I had mounted.
So I start taking the screws out and they came right out!? I'm sure I put Blue locktite in there.
Then it dawned on me that the locktite had been out in the frozen shop. That's the ,probably, 7-8 year old locktitie,lol:rolleyes:
So I'll clean out the screw holes again with brake/gun cleaner before I mount the new rail.
After it gets back from the GS all bedded real nice. He called today to see where I put the new trigger,so he's already working on it:s0023:

Well I decided to take the rail off and start over. I bought a flat rail to replace the 20MOA that I had mounted.
So I start taking the screws out and they came right out!? I'm sure I put Blue locktite in there.
Then it dawned on me that the locktite had been out in the frozen shop. That's the ,probably, 7-8 year old locktitie,lol:rolleyes:
So I'll clean out the screw holes again with brake/gun cleaner before I mount the new rail.
After it gets back from the GS all bedded real nice. He called today to see where I put the new trigger,so he's already working on it:s0023:

Give a range report when you're all done and back in the saddle.
Locktite: I'm sure that made you say "WTF?" I did the same with my scope mount - I was *sure* I had torqued them down properly (prolly swiss cheese memory). I don't use locktite, though, which is probably dumb. Old habit - I've had to extract too many screws someone glued into place.

Also, try to mount your rail screws when the action, rail and screws are all at >70 deg F. That way, they will shrink when you're in ID's bitter cold and won't have as much a problem when you experience warm barrel expansion.

I don't use locktite, though, which is probably dumb.
I always use BLUE on the bases. I don't use it on anything else cause I tend to change scopes around often.
And 5 bucks is cheap insurance after all the money I spend to make it shoot right.:eek:
Speaking of temperatures,we have such a broad range of temps,I'll definitely use it now.
Heck 100s in the summer and -4 this winter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top