JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check you stock screw tension, make sure it is proper according to the H.S. Precision instructions. I have had Remington's that shoot amazing, then go all to heck when the action is removed from the stock and the proper torque isn't used when re-assembling. The torque specs should be a good guideline but not a hard rule. Some stocks/actions like being very tight, and some not so much.

Also the magazine box could be binding like someone else mentioned earlier. This will create a bind on the action and throw shots in the same hole in two different groups almost back and forth.... one shot in this group next shot in that group then back to the first group....

Especially with newer 700s.....
You just had to go there didn't you:(
Also the magazine box could be binding like someone else mentioned earlier
So what would be the plan if it was binding? dremmel off some of the box?
So Gunwerks? channel on you tube was showing his bedding job with one of these stocks and he just put the goo around the recoil dampner. Said you usually don't need to do the rest on the HS precision stocks.
Then one guy milled out a bunch of the aluminum bedding to make room for bedding material. :eek:
Hey said,there is no way to have it perfect when the barrel manufacturer can't make them the exact same every time.
Which I understand,but want to believe the first guy

I'm here thinking about all y'all's responses and watching you tube vids listening to some and clicking to the next vid fast on others (when doing a video,don't say um all the time)
And it dawned on me.There are wear marks on the receiver cause the action is in fact moving in the stock. Otherwise there wouldn't be wear marks .no?
So i'm gunna try bedding the recoil lug first and if that doesn't help.I'll do the rest. I'm not going to grind out the aluminum block quite yet
And,I took off the scope and base. The blue locktite must have been old cause it didn't seem to hold very good. I thought I cleaned the holes pretty good so I'm guessing it's lived out it's life.
When I get a deal on a nice scope,I'll get this thing all fixed up and tight

Remove the box mag all together, and shoot it!

+1 on this!

Remove the magazine box and re-torque the action screws properly.

Fire a couple of groups and see what happens... this is free and less time consuming than bedding the action when it might not need it.

And it dawned on me.There are wear marks on the receiver cause the action is in fact moving in the stock. Otherwise there wouldn't be wear marks .no?
So i'm gunna try bedding the recoil lug first and if that doesn't help.I'll do the rest. I'm not going to grind out the aluminum block quite yet

Well their yah go! We have movement!

If you look where the recoil lug seats you will notice there is extra room around it for bedding.
When you actually bed the lug, I put two layers of blue painters tape on the back side of the lug. (towards the back). I've bedded 100 plus rifles in the last few years and have had great luck with it.
I also use childrens modeling clay to fill in the gas bleed holes and any other holes you don't want bedding to get into.

PM inbound, youtube can get you into trouble glass bedding!

Well I found another gun smith that seems to be OK mentally.lol The one guy just doesn't seem all there and the rifle builder is a little too arrogant for me and I wouldn't trust him to do a good job
Anyway,I decided that I'm not a rifle bedder/stock maker and I'll take it to this guy to finish the 17 and to bed the recoil lug on the 7mm. And check the magazine
I'll stick to whittlin' cups and knife handles and trying to be a sawyer/logger,lol:rolleyes:
But thank y'all for the help and encouragement
Velzy,if I was 400 miles closer,I'd drop it off with you

I'm gonna throw this out there cause I have seen it more then once on a Factory Rem 700.
Headspace, having looked at all the responses it tell me maybe there is something not right there at the space. Maybe I am wrong but its starting to sound like it might be internal chamber barrel related.
Rem's big 7 is belted, so it doesn't headspace on the shoulder. Shooting nothing but factory ammo, it's unlikely it's a headspace issue.

Check you stock screw tension, make sure it is proper according to the H.S. Precision instructions. I have had Remington's that shoot amazing, then go all to heck when the action is removed from the stock and the proper torque isn't used when re-assembling. The torque specs should be a good guideline but not a hard rule. Some stocks/actions like being very tight, and some not so much.

Also the magazine box could be binding like someone else mentioned earlier. This will create a bind on the action and throw shots in the same hole in two different groups almost back and forth.... one shot in this group next shot in that group then back to the first group....
^^This^^
The only rifle I ever had that would shoot decent groups, but move the POI around between groups, was sensitive to the tension/tightness of the stock screw.
Oddly enough, the problem showed up when the screw was too tight. I noticed once I started paying attention to how tight I kept the stock screw on all my guns, most of them became more consistent.

Lesson learned. Don't over tighten that screw.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top