JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, according to the ever reliable, only cares about us government, under 18 U.S.C § 921, a "firearm" is defined as:

(3) The term "firearm" means (A) any weapon (including a starter
gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to
expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or
receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm
silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include
an antique firearm.

So, technically, unless the government redefines the term 'firearm', a BB gun, pellet gun, etc., is not a 'firearm'. Of course they can redefine the terms any time they want, and they can reinterpret the terms to fit their agendas.

That said, I agree with @AndyinEverson, they need to be treated with the same care and respect as regular firearms, but I disagree with any government trying to regulate them as such.

"These 'air-powered' guns are not yesterday's Daisy Riders. They look identical to popular handguns, have immense firepower, and too often are involved in criminal activity or tragic events." o_Oo_Oo_O

My air gun expels projectiles faster than my 45 but there is no "firepower" to speak of. As for the second part: "tragic events"? Proof or it didn't happen.

Except putting regulation on airguns would affect bb guns, pellet guns, airsoft guns, paintball guns, and NERF GUNS. A lot of people and businesses would be furious.

I think it should depend on a how lethal a BB gun is? My experience is it might do damage to an eye or cause some painful welts but it sure as hell isn't going to maim or kill someone like a bullet would, seems to make sense that there is no way you can compare a BB gun to a firearm.

when i was a kid (6) my dad and grandpa said here is a 22. it is to be taken as seriously as your BB gun.......

same rules apply although, in my opinion a BB gun is not a firearm.

Well there was a ruling by either the Fed gov through the ATF, or certain States via their own agencies, way back in the 80s-90s that said a paintball marker is not an airgun because it propels projectiles at less than 300 feet per seconds at the muzzle.... so as to not run afoul of the whole greater than .50 caliber= destructive device due to its clear anti-personnel usage...

EDIT" not sure if the ruling specified airgun as I understand it, or specified 'firearms'... but as I understood it, if it were propelling the balls at speeds greater than 300 fps or some arbitrary level, it would be restricted to adults 18 or older for purchase, or over 16 to purchase, not sure which right now, but no paperwork however... same as most airguns I believe.

"These 'air-powered' guns are not yesterday's Daisy Riders. They look identical to popular handguns, have immense firepower, and too often are involved in criminal activity or tragic events." o_Oo_Oo_O

My air gun expels projectiles faster than my 45 but there is no "firepower" to speak of. As for the second part: "tragic events"? Proof or it didn't happen.

The tragic events bit is cops killing kids with BB guns.

I think it should depend on a how lethal a BB gun is? My experience is it might do damage to an eye or cause some painful welts but it sure as hell isn't going to maim or kill someone like a bullet would, seems to make sense that there is no way you can compare a BB gun to a firearm.

I disagree, not only have people been killed by bb guns but they don't just "damage" eyes the make them blind... which in my opinion is considered substantial risk of causing, death or serious bodily harm or injury. If anyone points any bb gun at me they will be met with appropriate force, and I don't carry bb guns.

BB gun used to kill homeless man in Tacoma

BB gun used to kill homeless man in Tacoma

I think the "tragic events" they are talking about is the "potential voters" who are getting shot trying to hold up liquor stores with toy guns

Last Edited:
IMG_1159.JPG

It depends on the laws I guess. I know in Hungary every BB gun stronger stronger than 7.5 Joule is "firearm" by the law.
I think Michigan had something similar a few years ago and they just changed the laws.

(3) The term "firearm" means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to
expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or
receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm
silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include
an antique firearm.
Can someone explain the bold part too me? I'm not sure I understand.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top