JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A1DED90E-6DA8-452C-B246-7A27F49C00B6.jpeg I bought the identical gun from J&G for 249.00 a few months ago. Have shot a few hundred rounds through it.....very nice pistol that shows very little use functions flawlessly. The bright part of the photo is glare, the finish only shows some holster wear on the very end of the barrel.

Argonaut spent $249 for his 92, while I spent $425 for mine! The difference is where the mag release is located! Argonaut's is a European cop gun. For a plinker I'd be fine with the heel of the hand release, with a $176 price break!
BTW, These older pistols are made in Italy, I prefer that myself.

Argonaut spent $249 for his 92, while I spent $425 for mine! The difference is where the mag release is located! Argonaut's is a European cop gun. For a plinker I'd be fine with the heel of the hand release, with a $176 price break!
BTW, These older pistols are made in Italy, I prefer that myself.
The other difference Is the sights......mine has tiny little sights that my old eyes struggle with. I guess, young guys figure that with 16 rounds it doesn't make a lot of difference.......I am not a Berretta guy but the fit, finish and trigger is excellent.

Jeeze!!! That's a big no foolin' Argonaut! Looking at your photo makes me wonder why they even bothered! o_O <- This is the vision requirement for a right handed shooter with Argonaut's Beretta!

What no 96 love??? Am I the only one?? Drop in a 9mm barrel and you're good to go for 9mm too!

303723-83ff4b872608f66295b522f1e6064319.jpg

Okay, maybe not the budget Beretta, but still, you gotta love it :p

So if one wanted a Beretta 92 style pistol as a plinker and didn't wanna spend a lot for it, which of the following would be the better option?

Surplus Beretta 92S. The upside is it's a real Beretta for around $300. Downsides are not ALL 92 mags are compatible with this model because of the different mag catch placement (though many mags are made for both the S model and the more common types), plus these are all used police trade-ins rather than new.

Turkish-made Girsan Beretta-clone imported currently by Chiappa. These tend to be priced in the low to mid $400's, they have a good reputation for quality and supposedly are compatible with Beretta mags but I'm not sure if any other parts interchange. Downside is they are Turkish and I am hesitant to support that government and arms industry.

No Tauruses.

Thoughts, opinions?
I bought a 92S from Classic Firearms.
Very good condition.
The heel mag release is not a concern for me.

Current Beretta stamped mags have the legacy slot for the heel release guns.
Military M9 mags (Checkmate) and MecGar mags do not have the legacy slot.

The sights are small "carry sights" so that's drawback for some.
The front sight can't be drifted out.

That PSA deal is as good as it gets for a modern 92FS.
I think I might throw down some Cabelas Bucks for a 92A1.

wm_10721933.jpg

Beware of cheaply made mags that look like 92S originals....they are total junk.
I sent 3 back to J&G and they torture you before accepting a return.
So be advised.

Chiappa gets enough bad reviews that I would run the other way on that.

If you have 92 fever real bad then it has to be a Wilson "Brig Tac"
The perfect 92 for the Bucket List.
beretta-brigadier-tactical-1-jpg.jpg

Last Edited:
I bought a 92S from Classic Firearms.
Very good condition.
The heel mag release is not a concern for me.

Current Beretta stamped mags have the legacy slot for the heel release guns.
Military M9 mags (Checkmate) and MecGar mags do not have the legacy slot.

The sights are small "carry sights" so that's drawback for some.
The front sight can't be drifted out.

That PSA deal is as good as it gets for a modern 92FS.
I think I might throw down some Cabelas Bucks for a 92A1.

View attachment 397676

Beware of cheaply made mags that look like 92S originals....they are total junk.
I sent 3 back to J&G and they torture you before accepting a return.
So be advised.

Chiappa gets enough bad reviews that I would run the other way on that.

If you have 92 fever real bad then it has to be a Wilson "Brig Tac"
The perfect 92 for the Bucket List.
View attachment 397677

Well I've made my choice... ordered a 92S and paid a little extra for the hand-select.

I do know of Chiappa's poor reputation, in fact I actually had one their .22lr 1911 replicas and I've seen airsoft guns that seemed to have better materials and build quality. Oddly enough it was remarkably reliable, especially for a .22 semi-auto. Their 9mm M9 clone isn't actually made by them though, they're only the importer.

Well I've made my choice... ordered a 92S and paid a little extra for the hand-select.

I do know of Chiappa's poor reputation, in fact I actually had one their .22lr 1911 replicas and I've seen airsoft guns that seemed to have better materials and build quality. Oddly enough it was remarkably reliable, especially for a .22 semi-auto. Their 9mm M9 clone isn't actually made by them though, they're only the importer.
Beretta 92FS Magazine 9mm 15Rds Unpackaged
The legacy slot is on the other side.
Shown is the slot for the American style mag release.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top