JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So if one wanted a Beretta 92 style pistol as a plinker and didn't wanna spend a lot for it, which of the following would be the better option?

Surplus Beretta 92S. The upside is it's a real Beretta for around $300. Downsides are not ALL 92 mags are compatible with this model because of the different mag catch placement (though many mags are made for both the S model and the more common types), plus these are all used police trade-ins rather than new.

Turkish-made Girsan Beretta-clone imported currently by Chiappa. These tend to be priced in the low to mid $400's, they have a good reputation for quality and supposedly are compatible with Beretta mags but I'm not sure if any other parts interchange. Downside is they are Turkish and I am hesitant to support that government and arms industry.

No Tauruses.

Thoughts, opinions?

lots of used 92s out there in the $400 range. I think Buds had a bunch from Italy.
Those are the guns he is referring to. I bought one a few months ago from J&G for 250.00. I am not a 9mm guy but this really is a great pistol. I bought some extra mags for it and they are the same as other Berretta 92's. Mine looks nearly unused. There is even very little holster wear. When I studied them, the consensus was they are ex-police pistols. The only problem I see (or can't) the sights are really tiny. It functions perfectly. A lot of fun for 10.00 a box. It is made in Italy.

So if one wanted a Beretta 92 style pistol as a plinker and didn't wanna spend a lot for it, which of the following would be the better option?

Surplus Beretta 92S. The upside is it's a real Beretta for around $300. Downsides are not ALL 92 mags are compatible with this model because of the different mag catch placement (though many mags are made for both the S model and the more common types), plus these are all used police trade-ins rather than new.

Turkish-made Girsan Beretta-clone imported currently by Chiappa. These tend to be priced in the low to mid $400's, they have a good reputation for quality and supposedly are compatible with Beretta mags but I'm not sure if any other parts interchange. Downside is they are Turkish and I am hesitant to support that government and arms industry.

No Tauruses.

Thoughts, opinions?

My first 92s, (not fs) 1986 vintage member of the Hartford PD. It is accurate and absolutely reliable! It's one of my favorites! I'll not sell it!
I also have a newer 92fs, pretty much brand new! It cost more, lm not sellin' that one either! :D

Maybe....But for not much more, I personally would prefer a new one over one of unknown use/abuse. If it was 1/3 or more the cost difference, it probably would not be a big deal.

lots of used 92s out there in the $400 range. I think Buds had a bunch from Italy.

I used to buy brand new Beretta 92's from a place in cali that used to sell guns to the police--They had a bunch of brand new 92D's NIB and for $385 apiece
I bet there is still a shelf full cause nobody else knew about them--Unfortunately they were all the 92D model, and it wasn't easy to sell them, even at $485

The Chiappa M9 in 9mm is NOT actually made by Chiappa, they're imported and rebranded. They're made by Girsan in Turkey and are licensed Beretta clones. Only the M9-22 (in .22lr) is actually made by Chiappa.

I bought an Italian made S model from classic a couple of months ago. It was surplus condition for sure but it's slide is silky smooth and 100% on feeding the bulk stuff. IDK I had a gift card for Sportsman's and walked out with 2 mags that work great in my heal release.

I saw a used like new in the box Italian made 92 FS going for $425 w/ two mags. Not much of a market for Beretta 92s now that the Army went SIG. Doesn't help that very few Police Departments use them anymore. Very nice pistol, but the market is all 1911s & plastic fantastic hi-cap pistols, especially Glocks.

should there not be a glut of used M9s coming onto the market soon ?

You'd think, huh. If they were cheap enough I might get another one, I'm really fond these things! Just don't issue me one if lm in the desert! I swear I'll lose it under a rock if they do! I get that.
Great family back up pistol in the PNW, though!

Maybe....But for not much more, I personally would prefer a new one over one of unknown use/abuse. If it was 1/3 or more the cost difference, it probably would not be a big deal.

That may be good economic sense, but I just wanted a plinker, and $425 seemed a good way to go, (two years ago). There's plenty of holster wear but working the action is like butter! This is my chair/front door gun, I keep the new one in the safe for the range!

My first 92s, (not fs) 1986 vintage member of the Hartford PD. It is accurate and absolutely reliable! It's one of my favorites! I'll not sell it!
I also have a newer 92fs, pretty much brand new! It cost more, lm not sellin' that one either! :D

The new one. Photos by Seared Sabra

IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0790.JPG IMG_1422.JPG
The old one.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show