JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or "Skynet Command Node" and other references to the evil AI of the Terminator universe...

:D I starting noticing this phenomenon a few years ago.
My neighborhood started transforming into "San Francisco North", at a ratio of two Californian "flippers" moving in, to one established neighbor escaping. Somewhere during the process, the home WiFi modem/router names in range of my unit started changing, from "Linksys3594" or "Comcast home" to things like "Vegans Rule", "Darwin Truth", "Meat is Murder" and "Eco-Warrior". This has now been augmented with the "In our America, yada yada yada" flag yard signs.
Seeing this crap every time I come home on the street and even when I fire up the internet in the house, I decided to exercise my 1-A rights by returning fire. My router now has a "name of the month". If you get more than three bars on your WiFi meter and see "Liberturds", "Stop Global Worming", "We are watching you" or "NW Alamo"...stop in for a cup at the house without the goofy yard sign in front.
P.S. ....you may also see "Grumpy Old Men Suck" in your meter range. :mad:

@teflon97239 So it looks like you've gotten your answer. It is pretty common for at least one the dealers who have set up their own network for the show to name their network something like BATFE...

It's just a standard, well-used, and not-that-funny joke.

Yeah, that makes sense. And I agree, not really knee slapping hilarious by itself. What I imagine might be little bit humorous is a house full of wired tweakers mapping out a road trip to round up Sudafed at 20-30 stores. "Duuude, what's your WIFI passw... Whoa! WTF is this???"

Last Edited:
My WiFi hotspots are named NSA Node1, FBI Truck2, and (my local )PDMobileUnit. I stagger the broadcast visibility of the networks so they appear random.
Those driving by or living by me either think Big Brother is deep in the area or something is going down.

Last Edited:
Neighbor gal has "naughty nurse" on her WiFi signal, makes me so horny.:D
Really?

brrrrrr.jpg

Not concerned for my own sake. Just curious. What do you folks think?

These clever bits are being set up as your WiFi router's 'SSID.'

I'll go in a different direction than everyone else here... If you really don't care about putting out a pithy SSID to entertain folks within range, just turn off 'SSID Broadcast,' then change it (since neighbors may have already lodged it.)

SSID Broadcast is akin to shouting "Here's my login, you only have to figure out my password!" If you don't even hand out the login, it's that much harder for anyone to jump your WiFi.

I've never heard it being a real issue, but broadcasting your SSID is an opportunity for inadvertent (misconfigured gear) or active DDOS attacks on your router. (Anyone with more experience in this area, please confirm/correct.)

You'll have to manually enter it into your existing devices and any new ones, rather than click on it from a pick-list, but heck, mine's just a five-random-digit SSID, easy to type, but with Broadcast turned off, I'm invisible until someone knows the secret hand-shake.

Mr B+ (so close to an A-)

anyone actually doing surveillance wouldn't announce their wifi ID. it would be hidden, encrypted and yeah... some bumble at a show won't ever know it's there.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top