JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Attended the excellent Albany Lions Gunshow at Linn County Fairgrounds yesterday (01-13-18) and texted my buddy in Portland to ask him what kind of mags he wants. My text didn't transmit from inside the hall, so I looked for a free WIFI signal and found one. Text sent (he's looking for Browning BDM mags).

Interestingly, I also saw a secure WIFI signal called "BATFE_Surveillance." It didn't occur to me to take a screenshot to paste here. Maybe somebody will today - if it's still there.

Anyway, it made me chuckle, sort of, because I know some folks like to name their home WIFI signals "FBI Surveillance Van" and other silly stuff to get a rise out of neighbors. Or maybe make local meth cookers paranoid? Personally, I think doing that for either reason is a shout-out to would-be hackers to compromise my boring WIFI at home, so I keep my own name there fairly generic.

So was that a legit signal or not?

Anyone could spoof an ATF WIFI signal "just for fun." But that would involve taking some kind of hardware to the show wouldn't it? At least a laptop and a cheap WIFI router.

Maybe ATF sets up at gun shows as part of their attempt to exploit the imaginary "gunshow loophole." The one that anti-gun democrat politicians intentionally lie about to con uninformed voters into thinking there actually is such a thing. In truth it doesn't matter since we're all forced to register purchases now anyway, new and used (even though libtards insist it's "not registration").

But if that were the case, I might expect ATF to name their WIFI signal something innocuous if they wanted to do stings. Orrr... maybe they want attendees to see it? Sort of like those "Smile, You're On Video" signs in convenience stores?

Not concerned for my own sake. Just curious. What do you folks think?

Last Edited:
ive seen so many funny wifi hotspot names driving around salem that include but are not limited to: "the government" "crooked hillary" "big don 2020" "fk you darla!" "i see you" "atf surveillance" "big brother" "winter is coming" "im sleeping with your sister" ...etc

Very funny!

My Christmas tree farming neighbors would not get a kick out of this one.

Screw them. Guess I'm a little bitter because of recent crime in my hood and gaining six new neighbors over the past year-not one of which can even pretend to speak English.

ive seen so many funny wifi hotspot names driving around salem that include but are not limited to: "the government" "crooked hillary" "big don 2020" "fk you darla!" "i see you" "atf surveillance" "big brother" "winter is coming" "im sleeping with your sister" ...etc
Or "Skynet Command Node" and other references to the evil AI of the Terminator universe...

One of my neighbors is named "Pretty fly for a Wifi", which I find amusing and wish I'd have thought of it.

Ray

My youngest has "Skynet" in his apartment. There are some really clever WiFi names out there. Mine is "Deep_Thought". Bonus points to anyone who gets it...;-)

Completely agree that the one you ran into was someone's attempt at humor. I have it on good authority that when agencies use a mobile hot spot for operations (they sometimes do) the name is a random string of alpha-numeric characters, and the SSID isn't broadcasted.

My youngest has "Skynet" in his apartment. There are some really clever WiFi names out there. Mine is "Deep_Thought". Bonus points to anyone who gets it...;-)

Completely agree that the one you ran into was someone's attempt at humor. I have it on good authority that when agencies use a mobile hot spot for operations (they sometimes do) the name is a random string of alpha-numeric characters, and the SSID isn't broadcasted.
deep thoughts by jack handy

One of my favorite series.............. 42

Ray

Anyway, follow the rules which are well known. Easy. Then follow the rules less well known. Then try to follow the rules not known at all. Then attempt to follow the unknown rules. Then unknowingly break the difficult to follow unknown rules? Are we establishing a common theme here? And none of it good?

Even Thomas Jefferson who was known as a rule maker sorta said that if a law was bad then it was bad and deserved ignoring. Just saying. No dog here other than what I hear from some.

Respectfully. :(

Posted copy left out words. Corrected. Humm. Forum running slow. Ads clogging up things.

Last Edited:
Kilo, kilo, kilo......now the DEA will be monitoring my communications.

Bump fire, bump fire, bump fire.......now the ATF is also involved.

Allah Akbar, Allah Akbar, Allah Akbar........now the DHS is monitoring.

Jihad, Jihad, Jihad........and the FBI is now in on it too.

Hillary, Hillary, Hillary..........and the Govt connection has been disconnected.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR