JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There is an ongoing discussion on arfcom about a new Geiselle handguard being so skinny and light it was damaged when dropped by impacting the low pro gas block. This video was posted in the thread, and is worth its own discussion.

AR-15 Platform "Barrel Whip" Discussion : VuurwapenBlog : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

It shows barrel whip on a free floated AR15. It moves much more than I thought it would. Something to keep in mind when looking at super skinny handguards. Even if it clears, it may impact during firing, leading to bad groups.

Another point I have noticed on long free floated handguards, is losing 0 on my irons or back up irons due to impact or sling tension.

My ideal build now is something with a FSB or clamped/pinned folding sight like a PRI, and a free float rail with a cut out for the FSB. Another option is to stop the rail behind the FSB, just make sure you have a handstop so you don't burn your hand.

Thoughts?

Another point I have noticed on long free floated hand guards, is losing 0 on my irons or back up irons due to impact or sling tension.
Interesting point though I do not agree. Highpower shooting we use a tight sling for stability. Free
float hand guards are a must. This eliminates problems with different sling tension affecting bullet
impact.
I have no experience with Geiselle hand guards. They are exspensive. I and my shooting buddy like
the YHM free float hand guards. A good value and very solid. Many to choose from. I like a low profile
gas block with float tube passing over it. No A2 front sight interfering with optics. If your A2 front sight is
not pinned it is vulnerable to being rotated if the rifle is dropped. Making your AR a single shot rifle.:eek:
Flip up back up front sight on the end of the float tube.;) Floating the hand guard is the #1 accuracy improvement you can do to an AR. IMHO Happy shooting.:p:D

They now make many new cool build assist tools for the AR platform including a widget that precisely squares that pesky OEM top front receiver flat. Be amazed how far off it can be. The barrel gets precisely torqued up to about 40-42 corrected pounds. A tight barrel nut helps.

I can't say anything about barrel whip, but all mine have stayed on zero for years without any damage to anything.

If you're concerned about losing zero with your irons, based on the possibly of pulling tension with your sling....that can happen more with a standard FSB AR, as the sling attaches to either the bottom of the FSB, or on a side mount that attaches directly to the barrel. Either way, there's the possibility of pulling off zero.

On a float type hand guard, mount the sling closer to the receiver, less chance of putting pressure on the end of the float tube. But then, there should be enough clearance not to touch anything to the point where it would take a lot of force to get the tube to contact the barrel.

They now make many new cool build assist tools for the AR platform including a widget that precisely squares that pesky OEM top front receiver flat. Be amazed how far off it can be. The barrel gets precisely torqued up to about 40-42 corrected pounds. A tight barrel nut helps.

Yeah I have been meaning to buy one of those. Also considuring a MUR upper receiver the more I dig into this stuff, but none of that matters if the handguard can get dented or bent into touching the gas block.

If you're concerned about losing zero with your irons, based on the possibly of pulling tension with your sling....that can happen more with a standard FSB AR, as the sling attaches to either the bottom of the FSB, or on a side mount that attaches directly to the barrel. Either way, there's the possibility of pulling off zero.

The builds I am considering, have a cut out in the handguard for the FSB. Sling would be attached to the handguard. So sling tension can't affect POA. However the more I research this, it seems like excess sling tension or bipod loading can flex the upper and shift the actual POI (using a scope) :eek:

Interesting point though I do not agree. Highpower shooting we use a tight sling for stability. Free
float hand guards are a must. This eliminates problems with different sling tension affecting bullet
impact.
I have no experience with Geiselle hand guards. They are exspensive. I and my shooting buddy like
the YHM free float hand guards. A good value and very solid. Many to choose from. I like a low profile
gas block with float tube passing over it. No A2 front sight interfering with optics. If your A2 front sight is
not pinned it is vulnerable to being rotated if the rifle is dropped. Making your AR a single shot rifle.:eek:
Flip up back up front sight on the end of the float tube.;) Floating the hand guard is the #1 accuracy improvement you can do to an AR. IMHO Happy shooting.:p:D

Have You tried shooting with irons on a free float under sling tension? My atlas-s-one shifts 3 moa under sling tension.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top