JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was watching something on youtube (gunblue490?) about how mag dumps and rapid fire can burn out a barrel quickly. Has anyone actually burned out a barrel to the point they noticed an issue with accuracy?

If so what caliber, est round count?

What gun/ammo? For example, an AR-15 with a chromed barrel shooting M193 would take quite a beating. But that's a semi-auto gun with a barrel designed for full auto. A higher pressure round in a thin, non-lined barrel might give a very different result.

I don't think most people would be able to burn out a barrel simply because of not many having MG lowers or MG's period (yes people do have these or can use these as seen on youtubes).

But for the average enthusiast just mag dumping at the range you would have to be at it for awhile to see considerable wear/damage. Handguns/Rifles. Iraqvet burns down a M&P Sport 2 (iirc) but it takes quite a few mags before there is substantial "damage" even then the gas tube fails before the barrel blows out. The handguard is melted completely off but the gun STILL operates.
M&P15 SPORT II MELTDOWN! - YouTube
He has a few of these videos to demonstrate other weapons.

Letting MG's run cyclic on belt feds takes a little time but when we were training we could see the barrels glow with our NODs more so using thermals. Some got hot enough to light cigarettes. We also had a few barrels blow because of factory defects which is more likely to occur in your time vs a full on meltdown from continuous fire.
There is also the whole economic side to this and I highly highly doubt most average to even some more extreme enthusiasts have enough money to in one or multiple sessions fire enough ammo for a particular caliber/gun enough times to blow out the barrel.

Most these online guntubers have generous donations of ammunition from vendors to allow such tests as linked above.

To guys that shoot same hole groups during competition, they swap barrels when its groups opens up the tiniest amount.

To the average Joe, mag dumps won't hurt you any.

Burnout is less of an issue than throat erosion.

99.9% of gun owners have nothing to worry about.
500 rounds of 4200fps .243 will erode a throat pretty good.

I was watching something on youtube (gunblue490?) about how mag dumps and rapid fire can burn out a barrel quickly. Has anyone actually burned out a barrel to the point they noticed an issue with accuracy?

If so what caliber, est round count?
What barrel? Not all made the same....

220 Swifts I have been told start going south around 5000's rounds when running full rpm rounds.
I've heard it was more like 2000 rounds, even when careful and not abused, but I've never owned one myself.

Throat erosion is far more severe when rapid firing. The more precise the rifle is, the faster the damage is done. I knew a gunsmith once who told me of putting together a very nice target rifle for a customer, then hearing back fairly soon. It seems that the customer had loaded 40 rounds, case-forming loads for his louden-boomer wildcat, and gave them to his son to plink with and form cases. He forgot to tell him to go slow and let it cool. The hotter the barrel gets, the faster it burns. 30 rounds rapid fire will probably do more damage to the throat than 300 rounds cool.

His son and buddy went out and blew through all 40 rounds as fast as they could. The competitive edge of that brand new barrel was gone, burned up within a few minutes.

An AK that shoots 5 moa at best, or an AR that shoots maybe 2 moa with FMJ ammo? It would take you a while to see it. But if you spent a bunch of money on an expensive, accurate barrel, it's best to avoid the mag-dumps.

I wouldn't expect a 28 Nosler to go 2000rds. PRS/ELR enthusiast usually have to rebarrel after 2000-3000, when accuracy drops off, or they're chasIng the lands so far they are reduced to single shot feeding cuz the long seating won't fit the mags any longer. It is possible to machine the breech and extend the chamber, but there is a point of diminishing return due to rifling wear and smithing costs.

The .220 Swift came out in 1935. Metallurgy was not what it is today so guns of that era showed throat erosion more than they would in today's guns.

The throat erosion claims were really overblown. You have a round going over 4,000 fps in an era that most rounds worked to break 3,000. So, of course the barrels wore out quicker ... but not to the level the "gun rag exerts" would have you believe.

In today's guns, you see what you would expect in any over bore cartridge. So if you are match shooting maybe you swap barrels at 2,000 maybe a bit more. If you are a typical varmint hunter you most likely can double or even triple that number before you really start noticing any issues.

I was watching something on youtube (gunblue490?)

That gentleman does know a great deal about firearms, no doubt. But, he is prone to exaggeration on certain issues, and to be flat out wrong on others, but he will die on the hill of his thinking. I've head what he has to say about mag dumps and it's a bit overblown.

As another example. Just last week, watching one of his videos regarding working on S&W revolvers, he makes statements such as "there is never any reason to polish the inside of a S&W revolver, there is nothing to be gained by it" and "never use anything other that the factory main spring or you will damage your gun".

Well, I don't know about you, but I know quiet a few folks who have seen benefit with a proper smooth and polish job in their Smiths. And while a non-factory main spring might result in light primer strikes I highly doubt any damage will occur in using one.

There were other statements that caused me to raise my eyebrows a bit ...

So, the point ... he can push ideas that are really not based in observable fact.

I am of the belief it takes more than we think. My hunting partner likes to shoot his Remington 700 VTR in 7mm Remington Magnum like a semi-auto. He got his barrel hot enough one session when he just couldn't zero his rifle (shooting out of frustration, hoping his rifle will just agree to put bullets where he wanted) to start melting the stock at the edges of the barrel. Still ended up taking 3 doe that year with headshots so clearly it still retains some accuracy. I would have thought it'd be a musket by now

I have an FN49 in 8mm that had a new barrel on it when I got it (a LONG time ago). Over the years there have been many times that I shot it way too fast and got the barrel smoking hot. A while back I was looking at the bore and noticed how worn the rifling looked. I have a new spare barrel and compared the two. The rifling was definitely worn.

It's no target rifle so I can't say that I've noticed any particular change in accuracy, but my "mag dumps" in this rifle over the years have certainly made their mark.

It's good to know that fears of burning out barrels are overblown, but it's also good to remember that heat seriously accelerates the process.

Let's see, hmm, an M2 on a vehicle mount. Got that one pretty toasty, can't say it affected accuracy though. Saw a vulcan system mounted on a mobile howitzer tracked body at winter maneuvers in Germany, barrels got a little glowy. It's always better when the taxpayers pay the price.

My first AR was a Colt H-Bar. After about 5K rounds it was no longer used for competition. I used it for
plinking and 30 round mag dumps. I fired thousands of that dirty steel case Russian ammo through it. Sometimes
dumping 500 rounds in one outing. :oops: If you chambered a steel case round on a hot barrel and leave it there a couple
minutes it would stick in the chamber. Had to use a cleaning rod to get the stuck fired case out.:eek: I abused the
hell out of that barrel. Use to poor cold water on the barrel to cool it down while loading more mags! Before I sold it
at a gun show I cleaned the barrel and test fired it with good ammo. To my surprise it would shoot about 1.5 inch
groups at 100 yards. This was not a chromed lined barrel.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top