JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have built 2 guns for hunting and have specifically set them up for this round. In other words the scopes have Kenton Ballistic dials installed and this ammo shots sub MOA from both guns. Between resighting in and practicing with the dials at set ranges I am now down to 28 rounds. Now NO one has this ammo on there shelf or online. ......WTF!!!!!!I spoke with Barnes Tech and they said it would be 2 months before they run another batch and suggested reloading with IMR 4350 at 68grns. I told him I have but can't reach the speed the turrets are calibrated for without showing signs of TOO much pressure around the 65 grn mark. Now I know everyone is just going to say switch ammo or speed isn't everything ......YOUR RIGHT! ...its just that I don't want to go through the whole process of shooting, chronoing and developing this close to hunting season. Not to mention I would have to pop for another set of ballistic turrets. SO.....the big question.....DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME OF THIS AMMO THEY CAN PART WITH ?????...... I would like to at least get another 20 rounds .:) please

Between resighting in and practicing with the dials at set ranges I am now down to 28 rounds...

without showing signs of TOO much pressure around the 65 grn mark.

28 rounds isn't enough for hunting???

What does "signs of too much pressure" mean? Unless you chrono the velocity from the bottom and watch it verses book data; you have no clue what pressures are. VERY precisely calibrated copper crushers, are universally known to not accurately report pressures above around 45,000 psi, that's why the industry moved to strain guage systems. So the average schmoe staring at his primers and brass, which are off an unknown alloy and tensile strength; isn't magically a better reporter of Pressure.

While I understand your frustration about the scope dials, the instant you bought them, you painted yourself into a corner. The only factory that uses canister grade powder, is Nosler. So assuming that the ammo you bought previously will be identical to new production, not a safe bet. Will it be close? Certainly, but don't count on exact.

28 rounds isn't enough for hunting???

What does "signs of too much pressure" mean? Unless you chrono the velocity from the bottom and watch it verses book data; you have no clue what pressures are. VERY precisely calibrated copper crushers, are universally known to not accurately report pressures above around 45,000 psi, that's why the industry moved to strain guage systems. So the average schmoe staring at his primers and brass, which are off an unknown alloy and tensile strength; isn't magically a better reporter of Pressure.

While I understand your frustration about the scope dials, the instant you bought them, you painted yourself into a corner. The only factory that uses canister grade powder, is Nosler. So assuming that the ammo you bought previously will be identical to new production, not a safe bet. Will it be close? Certainly, but don't count on exact.
I get what your saying about knowing pressures. Yes, I do not have the equipment to measure CUP but use the primer as a indicator when working up loads with a chrono. If I see dramatic changes in the primers, cases length changes as I work up loads between the different loads I start to take that into account that I am pushing it. If you know of a better way that an average schmoe can accurate measure CUP and not invest a fortune into the equipment, I am all ears.
And yes before I go hunting I take both guns and shoot multiple shots at 200-600 yards adjusting the turrets to make sure they are working and I am making a good clean kill shot. This allows me to have solid confidence in the performance of the equipment and my capability to shoot that far.

What are you hunting with 48 rounds of 300 wsm? Magnum cartridge give you too much flinch ?lol jk
I use a gunsmith out of salem who has made my gun recoil in the realm of a 243 with his comp's he put on the barrels. I can shoot this thing all day long. Yes I have internal ear canal plugs that allow normal conversation voices to be used but block out the bang. Kevin has done all my work and is great to work with.

You missed the point. CUP is an inaccurate and meaningless measurement for any modern rifle. A long time ago, something like 20 years now SAAMI did a test. They sent a set of very carefully calibrated crushers to the bulk of the majors and had then fire the Same reference loads, the "results" varied by 20,000psi. So much like the original Lead Crushers(LUP), they needed replaced when operating pressures rose. Then the world figured out that CUP isn't accurate and moved to strain systems. At best measuring brass and primers is a poor guess. Velocity is the only way to reasonably approximate Pressure, short of measuring it.

RSI sells a VERY accurate system called the "Pressure Trace II". The whole system costs a little less than a rifle, and the strain gauges themselves(outside the ones in the kit) are cheap. Putting one on all your rifles will cost less than a night at the bar. Find them here:
https://www.shootingsoftware.com/products.htm

Then you can actually see what is happening in YOUR rifle, such as this.
Screenshot_2014-12-26-20-33-14_zpskz7cqnti.png

You missed the point. CUP is an inaccurate and meaningless measurement for any modern rifle. A long time ago, something like 20 years now SAAMI did a test. They sent a set of very carefully calibrated crushers to the bulk of the majors and had then fire the Same reference loads, the "results" varied by 20,000psi. So much like the original Lead Crushers(LUP), they needed replaced when operating pressures rose. Then the world figured out that CUP isn't accurate and moved to strain systems. At best measuring brass and primers is a poor guess. Velocity is the only way to reasonably approximate Pressure, short of measuring it.

RSI sells a VERY accurate system called the "Pressure Trace II". The whole system costs a little less than a rifle, and the strain gauges themselves(outside the ones in the kit) are cheap. Putting one on all your rifles will cost less than a night at the bar. Find them here:
https://www.shootingsoftware.com/products.htm

Then you can actually see what is happening in YOUR rifle, such as this.
View attachment 259599

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads