JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am loading Barnes TTSX 225g for my Sako A3 338 win mag using IMR 7828. I sure could use some load data using IMR 7828. The Barnes website does not have this data. Do you consider this bullet / caliber combination usable for elk hunting? Thoughts?

Might not be much help but I did check my Barnes book vol. 4 when I got home and could only find that they used imr 7828 using 250gr bullet. You could always start at that starting load and work your way up and watch for pressure signs to see were max would be.

As far as the bullet goes I haven't shot an animal with one yet I mainly shoot them out of 257 Weatherby. from what I read about them is the bullet likes speed to open up when hitting an animal and too slow and they don't mushroom as much but I was researching that bullet in 25 cal.

20220908_164234.jpg

I am loading Barnes TTSX 225g for my Sako A3 338 win mag using IMR 7828. I sure could use some load data using IMR 7828. The Barnes website does not have this data. Do you consider this bullet / caliber combination usable for elk hunting? Thoughts?
IMRs load data web page shows this powder used with a 225g jacketed bullet at start:72g/2605fps max: 77g/2777fps.
Start at 72g and work up and you will be fine with the TTSX. And I would consider this bullet caliber way more than enough for elk hunting.

IMRs load data web page shows this powder used with a 225g jacketed bullet at start:72g/2605fps max: 77g/2777fps.
Start at 72g and work up and you will be fine with the TTSX. And I would consider this bullet caliber way more than enough for elk hunting.

Thanks for the info

Good bullet for elk.
I think 7828 may be a tad slow for a non-overbore cartridge like the 338 WM.
I typically use 4350 or RL22.
Good luck on your hunt.
Do you think 7828 would work better in a 300 weatherby. Maybe I will use that to push 200g accubonds?

Do you think 7828 would work better in a 300 weatherby. Maybe I will use that to push 200g accubonds?
Yes

That bullet simply kills and I can't think of a better combination for getting the job done. I don't know about the powder.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top