JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This thread is to post pictures of firearms that would be made illegal under Oregon Ballot Initiative 42. The voting public is under the impression that this initiative will ban "scary looking assault weapons" but we need to show them that the ban also includes many of their hunting, sporting, and self defense weapons. For example, I sold this rifle last year:
upload_2018-3-23_13-43-29.jpeg

Looks just like a regular hunting rifle, but "oopsie" it's a semi automatic, has a replaceable box magazine ( I sold it with five of them), and fingers other than the trigger finger will be below the action.

And my Mini-14 I traded for an AR the year before:
upload_2018-3-23_13-47-53.jpeg
Even worse than the BAR since the hand guard cover is effectively a "barrel shroud".

Not to mention the Ruger 10/22 - stock photo not mine
upload_2018-3-23_13-52-6.png
Banned for the exact same reasons as the BAR.

Let's build a photo database of the more friendly looking rifles, pistols, and shotguns along with the reasons why the bill would ban them. We need to let the voters understand that their weapons willbe banned, not just the scary looking ones. Obviously, we don't need pictures of those.

Under these definitions, the Marlin Model 60 .22LR rifle is an assault weapon. Semi-auto rifle that can hold more than 10 rounds in its fixed magazine.
392379-21412c40e30a762ed14657cf92e1a621.png

The Benelli R1 would probably qualify as an assault weapon, too, because it has a detachable magazine and arguably the forestock partially "shrouds" the barrel "allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned."
392380-7ca8d9094d7512d082d3b63cc21ed74e.png

The rifles below have been designed to avoid other states' attempts to ban "assault weapons" but they would still be classified as "assault weapons" under this initiative. The top ones because there is more than the trigger finger under the action, the bottom because it still has a shroud, and arguably a prohibited pistol grip or thumbhole stock. And, hey, that mag sure looks like another handle.
391713-df7f831d079d1ef04ecc9f72f06cd573.jpg
391714-ab7c39c3a9ac917fb4328da354542a0f.jpg

Last Edited:
A lot will depend on how "shroud" gets interpreted, since it is not defined. On the Model 60, you could say the forend is still part of the stock, but on the R1 the forend is separated from the rear stock by the receiver. Does that make it a partial shroud?

The same problem with fingers under the receiver. I interpret that as fingers directly under the action if we draw a line from the rear of the receiver and any fingers are in front of that line. So the AR/AK with the removed pistol grip are still a problem because with the placement of the trigger at least one finger will be ahead of that line. For the first rifle in the OP, I think the rest of the fingers may be behind that line, but it has the same problem with the forend being called a shroud. But OP is interpreting as below a line parallel with the bottom of the receiver. So there is a lot of uncertainty. Hey, let's pass it so we can figure out what's in it!

This Mossberg shotgun is an assault weapon because it's a semi-auto shotgun that you can fit more than 10 mini/short shells in it. That's going to count right? And it doesn't matter if you have the extender attached or not, since having the parts to do it still counts.
Mossberg-SA-20-Shotgun-618x412.jpg

Still good to go with a Keltec KSG, though, in spite of pistol grip and 12 round fixed mag.

P10LftSide.jpg

The Grendel P10 does not have a detachable mag, but it can hold 10+1 and is semi-auto, so it's an assault weapon.

What about the venerable Mannilcher M1905? Semi-auto, yes. Holds 10 in the internal magazine. Can it also hold one in the chamber?
5703a888f11797e124974e0491f393c5.jpg

Tube fed guns are specifically exempted.

I see that now, but only for .22, though, and lever actions. Unless I'm still missing something. Although that is also only under the definition of "large capacity magazine" which does not seem to appear in any of the definitions of "assault weapon." So it's not clear that would override the definition "any semiautomatic, centerfire or rimfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition;"

Last Edited:
This Mossberg shotgun is an assault weapon because it's a semi-auto shotgun that you can fit more than 10 mini/short shells in it. That's going to count right? And it doesn't matter if you have the extender attached or not, since having the parts to do it still counts.
View attachment 442814

So this Mossberg 930 {Miculek ?} would be on the ban list because you can load it with a non-standard shell that it was never designed for ?

Also, what is the capacity of that tube...10 rd's of standard shell's, {that it was designed for} ?

This seems more than a bit in the gray area since those short shells don't even function reliably in semi's. All an attorney would have to do is point to that 2 3/4 or 3 " engraved on the barrel and point out that the prosecution used a non-factory recommended shell to get it to reach assault weapon capacity. This would go down in court. A letter from Mossberg stating that the shotgun is not designed or recommended for short shell's is all it would take.

Last Edited:
So this Mossberg 930 {Miculek ?} would be on the ban list because you can load it with a non-standard shell that it was never designed for ?

Also, what is the capacity of that tube...10 rd's of standard shell's, {that it was designed for} ?

This seems more than a bit in the gray area since those short shells don't even function reliably in semi's. All an attorney would have to do is point to that 2 3/4 or 3 " engraved on the barrel and point out that the prosecution used a non-factory recommended shell to get it to reach assault weapon capacity. This would go down in court. A letter from Mossberg stating that the shotgun is not designed or recommended for short shell's is all it would take.

Like all laws that only apply to law abiding citizens. Criminals in the act of a crime don't give a flying bubblegum.

The Hollywood bank robbers modified their guns to fire full auto.

The San Bernardino shooters modified their illegally obtained guns.

The Florida school shooter we are told used 10rd magazines in his legally obtained rifle but, used it illegally to murder children.

Apparently, laws don't work like they used to.

Thanks , they seem to sell out fast

The tough thing is that I only bought one box to see how they cycled and patterned in my KSG before buying more. I wish I'd have gone long now - I'm certain I could have sold them if they didn't work out for me.

The tough thing is that I only bought one box to see how they cycled and patterned in my KSG before buying more. I wish I'd have gone long now - I'm certain I could have sold them if they didn't work out for me.
They seem to work in a old Winchester 1300 .

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews