JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last time I checked aurora "batman" shooter wore body armor, sandy hook shooter wore body armor, clackamas town center shooter wore body armor, so next time before you open your mouth and even hint at implying something like that take a minute and ask yourself "is this a dumbass thing to say?" Also get your facts straight bad guys do wear body armor.

google is your friend, use it. re read your original post and ask yourself "was that a dumbass question"? and then ask yourself "why didnt i include fn 5.7"?

IIRC, the NIJ test involves wrapping the ballistic garment around a clay "torso" and then shooting it. If the dent in the clay is less than 1½", it counts as a "pass!" Can you imagine how you'd feel if a 12 ga. slug left an inch-and-a-half DIVOT in your chest? But hey, the vest worked, so it's okie-dokie.

Even a pretty average handgun round striking a soft vest can cause a broken rib, punctured and/or collapsed lung, and will most certainly produce a large, ugly hematoma. Many if not most people who stop a slug are out of the fight, at least long enough for you to make the next move.

The West Hollywood bank robbers used home-made armor that was hard, and so transferred the load to a large area, preventing injury. Can you walk around like a turtle in SAPI plates? Most of us go for concealability over protection level, at least stateside.

Personally, if I were going to wear hard armor, I'd go for a K-pot first, because the ole brain bucket is my most important asset.

Last time I checked aurora "batman" shooter wore body armor, sandy hook shooter wore body armor, clackamas town center shooter wore body armor, so next time before you open your mouth and even hint at implying something like that take a minute and ask yourself "is this a dumbass thing to say?" Also get your facts straight bad guys do wear body armor.

WRONG WRONG WRONG both guys wore black load bearing vests NOT ANY SORT OF BODY ARMOR.

The CTC shooter was not wearing body armor.

WRONG WRONG WRONG both guys wore black load bearing vests NOT ANY SORT OF BODY ARMOR.

The CTC shooter was not wearing body armor.

This got awkward fast. lol. But for what it's worth, assuming a level IIIA vest, the bullet may not penetrate, however you will easily break bones, cause major bruising etc. It's the equivalent of being hit with a baseball bat, won't kill ya but it'll definitely knock the wind out of you.

Yes, some do. But get your facts straight. Neither the Aurora nor Clackamas shooters wore body armor. They wore tactical vests, which initial witnesses mistakenly called bullet resistant vests. And a bullet resistant vest is *NOT* "body armor". I have seen some reports claim that the Sandy Hook shooter wore a bullet resistant vest, including one that attributes the claim to the local police, so it does appear that he was wearing one.

But also, as others have said, the entire point of the vest is to lessen the impact of handgun rounds. If you want to know the ballistics - well, the vests stop the round - but you'll be bruised. If two shots to center mass don't take the assailant down, aim for the legs (they're bigger targets than the head,) then if THAT doesn't stop the assailant, aim for the head now that he/she's down.

I don't care if you want to call it body armor, bullet proof vest, tactical vest, urban assault vest, barrier vest, black load barring vest etc. the point is they wear gear to prevent bullets from penetrating there body. Which brings me back to my original post trying to find good information on ballistics. I have tried google but am struggling with finding information which is why I am asking for assistance, also I have no interest in the 5.7 round specifically looking for info on the calibers I have, not what you think is best.

Thanks!

I am wondering what the ballistics are for 9mm, .40, and .45 from 20 yards and closer. The scenario I am more specifically courious about is if there was a gunman within or at 20 yards what type of "damage" would be done if I shot him in his bullet proof vest?

Handgun Trajectory Table

I tried to copy and paste the table but is was hard to read, but I hope the link helps to answer part of your question

Better check your facts again my friend.
Typically the actual facts change every 30 minutes during the immediate aftermath of such events.
It's often many days before anyone but immediate first responders know any solid facts. And days later the media won't report the actual facts because they don't want to make themselves look like jackwagons.

Better check your facts again my friend.
Typically the actual facts change every 30 minutes during the immediate aftermath of such events.
It's often many days before anyone but immediate first responders know any solid facts. And days later the media won't report the actual facts because they don't want to make themselves look like jackwagons.

I don't care if you want to call it body armor, bullet proof vest, tactical vest, urban assault vest, barrier vest, black load barring vest etc. the point is they wear gear for protection and to help prevent bullets from penetrating their body. Which brings me back to my original post trying to find good information on ballistics. I have tried google but am struggling with finding information which is why I am asking for assistance, also I have no interest in the 5.7 round specifically looking for info on the calibers I have, not what you think is best.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top