Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Backpacking

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gjohnson, May 20, 2009.

1. gjohnson

gjohnson Lake Oswego Member

Anyone know of some good spots to go backpacking overnight in oregon (Mt hood area)?

2. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

There are tons of spots. What kind of hiking are we talking about? Flat and easy or straight up?

This site has some good info but really only hits on the well know hikes.

http://www.nwhiker.com/mthoodNF.html

3. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

That is a good site --- like Ken said, we need some more details to recommend a good hike... distances you willing to hike, terrain, this time of year or later in the season, etc. Keep in mind that a lot of trails are still snow covered right now....

4. gjohnson

Well this will be my first time backpacking in oregon, My friend and I were born and raised in Alaska so we are not new to the outdoors. I figure we should start out the summer easy on relatively flat, but still "out there" enough that we can setup a cmap for a night and not be bothered.

5. gjohnson

Distance, ~5 each way so ~10 miles total preferably with a place to setup camp at the end then hike back the next day. Terrain for the beginning of the summer flat maybe do some mountain hikes later in the summer... Thanks for the resource i will look into it :)

6. gjohnson

7. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

I've done that one in the winter on snow shoes and it is fun. Great views. If you have a chance you should park your car up the road in Government Camp and walk or hitch to the trailhead. The parking is right on the highway and looks like a great spot to get broken into at night.

You should also look into some of the hikes that come up out of the gorge. I like the Eagle Creek to Watum lake but it might be a little more that you are looking for right now.

Keep in mind that any stream on the mountain is going to be cold and fast right now so plan your crossings early.

8. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

Herman creek trail is uphill starting in the Gorge and passes several waterfalls....just remember....up hill but not bad......:thumbup:

9. gjohnson

Good advice. :thumbup:

10. gjohnson

11. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park and back is a good hike. About 5 miles each way... very pretty when the wildflowers are in bloom...

12. Muddman

Muddman Aloha Member

Nothing against the Mt Hood area, but another area that deserves a look at is the Santiam Pass area I was there last year on 4x4 ATV's and could have spent days there and would have only seem a portion of it.
    http://www.hoodoo.com/santiam_pass.htm

13. gjohnson

I used to drive the Santiam Pass 2 times a week to Bend, OR beautiful drive. Great Idea, I will look around that area as well.

14. Mainsail

Mainsail Puget Sound Active Member

The Summit of Mt Colonel Bob in the Brother’s Wilderness:

b8e1156f-6eb1-4c2c-b8f6-c5e55226b23e.jpg

Lake 3995 in the Wonder Mountain Wilderness; eight hour hike mostly off-trail and up steep terrain:

868f8cc4-90ac-46f7-adea-6327ea5d6494.jpg

Watson Lakes, about a six hour hike but on a well established trail:

6be877f7-a4e6-45b0-82f5-1e4f3ae370f8.jpg