JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I acquired 1 yard of Taiwan made Woodland 420D Nylon pack cloth off Ebay; and went about measuring, making pattern, and then sewn up this nifty 25L pack bag that attaches to an old Outdoors Products copy of the 1980s Coleman Peak 1 Small Frame; since MOLLE suspension attaches to this frame as if it was made for it :)
Specs; about 25 liters; 20" tall, 13" wide, 6" deep.
MOLLE and ALICE webbing on lower sides and bottom for gear
axe and gun loops on the bottom edges; can hold both (one on each side)
ITW Nexus plastic hardware, and USGI metal hardware (3-bar loops for frame attachments)
YKK #5 zipper with dual pulls; likely add paracord pulls to them.

The fabric is a bit bright in sunlight; but looks decent in shade... Not as brown dominant as the USGI ALICE butt pack, or as dark toned as the other USGI gear shown here
DSCF2387.JPG

DSCF2389.JPG
In shade; showing the exterior.
DSCF2390.JPG
Sidewise view; showing the MOLLE and ALICE webbing, Axe/gun loop and Fastex buckle for compression. Probably will shorten the loop to better fit things.

DSCF2391.JPG
quite dark shot here, but the axe is shown here double looped, with the upper compression strap being used to hold it in place.

DSCF2392.JPG
View of the suspension side, USGI MOLLE II rucksack suspension and belt. You can see the 4 black tri-bar loops being used to connect the bag at the top; with green webbing. On the bottom corners are the Ladder Lock buckles and straps for lower frame attachments.
DSCF2393.JPG
View of the bottom; 3 rows of MOLLE, 1 row of ALICE, for attaching gear with tie down straps, or MOLLE pouches, or ALICE pouches/bags/butt pack.

Looks good, man. Is there a pattern source that you use on projects like these or do you design on the fly?
I usually design on the fly, but I use old backpacks as design inspiration, the Coleman pack bags are similar to this, just has 3 pockets added.. same construction method (2 pieces of fabric). This one was a pain in the butt with the zipper mounting and the back panel attachment... the next pack bag, regardless of top.load or panel load, would be designed with 1 piece of fabric, and reinforcement where necessary

So I got a couple more yards of this fabric from Beacon Fabric, thinking it would be closer to the USGI stuff than the Taiwan stuff... when it arrived, its the exact same as the Taiwan stuff:s0054:

Oh well. Decided to go ahead and make a pair of shoulder straps loosely based on the original Outdoor Products stuff, minus the load lifters. Next project, matching belt, only without the black spacer mesh.
1/8" closed cell foam
Single layer of fabric
3mm black spacer mesh
Salvaged MOLLE shoulder strap buckles
Black tribar tabs 20200502_160133.jpg 20200502_160129.jpg 20200502_160241.jpg 20200502_160150.jpg 20200502_160138.jpg 20200502_160231.jpg 20200502_160208.jpg

Nice! I have gotten into sewing in the past few years and the Make Your Own Gear scene. If you are looking for good materials, check out the Mill End store in Milwaukie. They have everything!

Nice! I have gotten into sewing in the past few years and the Make Your Own Gear scene. If you are looking for good materials, check out the Mill End store in Milwaukie. They have everything!
I get most my fabrics from either Ebay, or a few websites like
Beacon Fabric, Rockywoods, and The Rainshed (used to be a local to me walk-in shop, but now entirely online :confused: ). Saw that Canvas Etc have some mil spec Cordura fabrics, as well as knockoff of USMC Marpat and the Korean woodland camo (a very bright green camo)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top