JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So today I was excited to buy a new gun. Im mid 5000s in the que. Wow. 2 weeks they tell me. Isn't there a 3 day rule? If I understand it correctly. No answer either way after 3 business days. The firearm should be released to the buyer. Am I getting this right? Because in 3 days my happy bubblegum will be back in mazamas pointing this out. So I can go point my new toy at some paper

They're not going to release it to the buyer before the background check has been processed by the Oregon State Police as that would defeat the purpose of the background check, and cancelling it after 3 days when they have a backlog of 5,000 people to get through wouldn't make sense.

20210113_233650.jpg

I don't see where you're wrong, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to work the way it's worded here and in your screenshot. Maybe someone at Mazama knows. :s0092:

Have they notified you you have been delayed? If so get in line and wait. I'm currently at 3 weeks with a perfect background and a CHL in my pocket. On the 23rd of Dec I was told to expect it to take until Feb 2. I'm annoyed.

I purchased a wartime CZ27 two weeks ago at Cabela's. I spent over an hour waiting in line. The time spent filling out the paperwork took longer than the time it took to get my background check done and approved. I told the salesman that it was the shortest amount of time I have ever had it go through. He said at that time it was well north of 3,000 folks in the queue. Granted, my name is not a common one, but still, with that kind of backlog, I would have expected some delay. Not that I am complaining, mind you.

I'm not really bubbleguming. Just a topic of discussion. Possible loop hole maybe. Granted i enjoyed the days of a new gun in and out before your lunch break was over. Dollars to donuts I will have to wait and i knew that going in. But maybe, just maybe due to covid and how unexpected something like this is and was. We can enjoy our new toys sooner, before more regulations slap us around closing off new found life hacks. I will see what happens Monday. Worst case I look like an idiot. It comes natural so no sweat off my sack. Best case I'm at the range sighting it in shortly after.

That may be on the books as actually law, but I don't think the FFL's have to follow it.

Put yourself in the LGS family owned point of view, would you want to take on the liability of releasing a firearm and then find out that the OSP BGC did not pass?

The Libertarian in me realizes that any time the government is involved, it is not to the advantage of the average citizen.

I'm not really bubbleguming. Just a topic of discussion. Possible loop hole maybe. Granted i enjoyed the days of a new gun in and out before your lunch break was over. Dollars to donuts I will have to wait and i knew that going in. But maybe, just maybe due to covid and how unexpected something like this is and was. We can enjoy our new toys sooner, before more regulations slap us around closing off new found life hacks. I will see what happens Monday. Worst case I look like an idiot. It comes natural so no sweat off my sack. Best case I'm at the range sighting it in shortly after.

Nope.

In the verbiage you quoted & circled above, the key word is "may".

Not "must" or "is required to" etc etc.

So all but 1 FFL I know of WILL NOT, and the one I know of...that was during "normalcy", not thousands in the queue everyday for months.

Nope.

In the verbiage you quoted & circled above, the key word is "may".

Not "must" or "is required to" etc etc.

So all but 1 FFL I know of WILL NOT, and the one I know of...that was during "normalcy", not thousands in the queue everyday for months.
Thats true. The may word really isn't convenient. Plus you're right no business should risk it all over a technicality and i wouldn't want to be the cause of a loss. I just enjoy playing devils advocate. I also cheat on board games.

No firearms dealer in the state is going to forego 3 day rule. Best bet is to become a FFL dealer yourself so you can have you firearms shipped directly to your home. A lot more effort and money but worth every penny. Plus you can be a seller for all your friends and you get dealer prices when buying.

Did you already pay them? My experience with that store is once they have your money, you're mud.
Yeah. First timer buyer there. They had 9mm ammo and didn't gouge so respect in my book.
No firearms dealer in the state is going to forego 3 day rule. Best bet is to become a FFL dealer yourself so you can have you firearms shipped directly to your home. A lot more effort and money but worth every penny. Plus you can be a seller for all your friends and you get dealer prices when buying.
I've thought about that. I've got mixed feelings about it though. Still a maybe someday thing.

The good news is, the enlightened folks in Salem are going to eliminate any confusion about the 3 day rule by getting rid of it in our State.

The bad news is the new gang in DC is going to get rid of it as well.

With a phone call the DOJ under Biden can immediately slow down background checks to a crawl. The three day rule is an important check to make sure that slow downs are not initiated by government. If FFLs refuse to excercise the use of the three day rule then there is little reason for an anti-gun government not to initiate a slowdown.

The slowdown is coming folks and the FFLs are helping it along.

Last Edited:
The good news is, the enlightened folks in Salem are going to eliminate any confusion about the 3 day rule by getting rid of it in our State.

The bad news is the new gang in DC is going to get rid of it as well.

With a phone call the DOJ under Biden can immediately slow down background checks to a crawl. The three day rule is an important check to make sure that slow downs are not initiated by government. If FFLs refuse to excercise the use of the three day rule then there is little reason for an anti-gun government not to initiate a slowdown.

The slowdown is coming folks and the FFLs are helping it along.
This is why I love AZ. Person to person sales are still legal. People take mad advantage....we have roadside gun shops here :s0108: people with 15+ guns for sale and ammo too. All out the back of a truck:s0115:

Have they notified you you have been delayed? If so get in line and wait. I'm currently at 3 weeks with a perfect background and a CHL in my pocket. On the 23rd of Dec I was told to expect it to take until Feb 2. I'm annoyed.
Really I bought one the 19 and picked up the gun the 23 and I was in the 3-4000 range and no chl ???

Sometimes you just have to wait it out. Without a CHL its always a game of how long it will take to process your information. I have waited over two weeks; other times I've only waited a week. Just depends on how backlogged they are. What is interesting is my AR15 took 2 weeks while most handguns are about a week. Could have been the time of the year in which I bought it. I'm picking up an AK from gunbroker at my local shop hopefully tomorrow or saturday. I finally got my CHL this month so it'll be interesting to see how long it takes me! Best of luck on your wait! Best advice I can give is to not think about it then before you know it they're calling you to come pick it up. Definitely frustrating but not much more you can do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top