JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So today I picked up a new m&p shield. I was pretty excited too. I got 100 rounds also and went home to get my range bag and some more ammo. The drive to my outdoor range was amazing I knew it was going to need fun. I did wipe all the extra oil off before shooting. I shot 175ish rounds down range having fun with 3-10 yards for targets.

This is where the fun ended I picked up my brass and cleaned up my targets. But I figured I would take the slide off to see how dirty that factory ammo was and inspect the barrel and slide. Well I couldn't get the dang slide off. Something was hanging it up. This is my new gun come on this can't be really happening? So I figured it was user error right. No I tried every trick I knew when it comes to m&p's nothing. I finally was able to make them come apart.

What I found was the spring that makes the take down lever snap back in to place was bent off the frame. So now I got a useless carry gun.

What sould I do? Email smith & Wesson? Or find a gunsmith? If I could get the part I know I could replace it myself without any hesitation. But has anyone had this issue with there m&p? It was all factory ammo no hot loads. Just blows my mind it would do that after firing my gun.

IMG_20170523_201709199.jpg IMG_20170523_201729882.jpg

After you get it back from Smith, read the instruction manual. You are supposed to reach down there with a tool and move it out of the way.
(I don't remember exactly what to do, I would have to get my manual out, too)
I'm thinkin the OP missed this step and caused the damage. My apologies if I'm incorrect.

After you get it back from Smith, read the instruction manual. You are supposed to reach down there with a tool and move it out of the way.
I'm thinkin the OP missed this step and caused the damage. My apologies if I'm incorrect.

I was wondering about that too, but I got the impression he is familiar with M&P's already? But yeah, I wondered the same thing.

Hmm, no offense intended but I prefer not to have to reach down there with a tool when field stripping a firearm.

One more gun for the do not buy list.

Hmm, no offense intended but I prefer not to have to reach down there with a tool when field stripping a firearm.

None taken. It's the only thing I don't care for with this little pistol. I spose if I tore it down more often I would be better versed in this part. As it is, it just keeps running!

One more gun for the do not buy list.

It's odd to me that they have it when others don't, but they are great guns nonetheless. My carry piece is an M&P and I love it.

The part I am talking about isnt the yellow sear deactivation lever inside the magazine well its on the take down lever. I believe its the take down retaining wire. After 6 and a half minutes on the phone with Smith and Wesson they emailed me a fedex return label and said to ship it to them. So I hope it gets fixed pretty quickly.

Why its a pain to send back we all have been there, you do not know what else might be wrong a failure usually means something didn't work right. I had a Taurus act weird sent it back and they replace it because of a manufacture defect.
Think of it like a car, if you bought a new car and the brakes failed and ruined the pads, is it really just the pads ??
Probably not . Good luck keep us posted what you do and resolve.

And keep in mind this is a complex machine that when you consider its cost vs value is dirt cheap. No machine is infallible, parts brake and things are not assembled perfect. That does not make it a bad pistol or S&W a bad company. Considering you can get a new Sheild for $250 currently it is an amazing firearm at that price point.

Everything should work correctly, if it doesn't the manufacturer should correct it in a timely manner. It's good to have some perspective though, it is still a machine and it was assembled by human beings both of which are prone to mistakes

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews