JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am fairly new to .22LR and was curious what would be considered a good price for ammo?

I have seen it as low as $2.19 for a 50rd box of blazer ammo @ Bimart which seams good to me. But They have since ran out and everything else is higher.

I bought a brick of 500 of CCI from Fisherman's @ $39.99 which is almost twice the cost.:mad:

IMHO, stay away from Golden Bullets, Thunderbolts or other craptastic lead nosed/spray painted rounds. CCI won't steer you wrong like Remington does. CCI and Winchester run well. Stick with copper plated rounds when you can. If lead is all "they" have, buy Blazer as they are a CCI brand.

$20-35 per 500 is ok. After that, keep looking. This isn't 1984 when 500 bricks were under $10.

Look for Mini-Mags, Stingers, Winchester SuperX, AR Tactical, M22 Tactical, Velocitors (watch chamber specs) and other higher end rounds. Yes, they cost more, but its well worth it. Golden bullets, Aguila bulk and other cheap-o rounds look like a deal until you pull the trigger.

@Flopsweat @Kruejl

So, were are people finding 22lr at $20 / 500 ?

0.04 cents per round? My guess is no where anymore.

Depending on what 22LR firearm you have and what you want to do with it. I buy the cheap stuff and I have maybe had 2-3 rounds out of 500 (or so) that I have had to toss aside. The kids and grandkids aren't picky and have a great time.

Seems that 0.06 - 0.07 cents per round is a great price anymore. Yes, more for the "better" stuff.

This past gun show at the EXPO had tons of it for 0.10+ cents per round.

Look for Mini-Mags, Stingers, Winchester SuperX, AR Tactical, M22 Tactical, Velocitors (watch chamber specs) and other higher end rounds. Yes, they cost more, but its well worth it. Golden bullets, Aguila bulk and other cheap-o rounds look like a deal until you pull the trigger.
Make sure Stingers will run in your firearm before you buy a bunch of it. I believe they are a shade longer than a normal .22lr and can cause feeding problems.

Bi-mart usually lowest price. Federal 325ct - $17, mini mags $7/100 they get the 300 packs sometimes for $20. They no longer sell Remington ammo. And then them 50ct Blazers $2.19

I had one batch of Armscorp (those are out of the Phillipeans, same folks who manufacture firearms under RockIsland) which was "sticky" it was like some "wax" had gotten on the bullets. (maybe like a varnish which had not set-up properly) Worked fine in a bolt action. My 10/22 had trouble extracting them. I was thinking it was something used in manufacturing which contaminated the box I opened.

I have run a couple of boxes (500) of Thunderbolt thru my 10/22 over the spring / summer without issue. Also some Winchester 333.

When I shoot steel, since most of the competitors run 22lr, they all say the same thing, verify what you will shoot in competition will run in your gun.

Hello
Obviously everyone has a favorite 22 lr brand they like.
But i was taken back or surprised to read remington goldens were no good by some.
Not looking to object to anothers opinion by any means but id like to read the reasons as to why or why not the remington golds.
Because thats about all i see coming in on the shelves now and then are the remington golden bulk packs of 525 ct at 30 dollars a bulk pack.
I was thinking about trying to get some of the rem golden bulk packs to pad my hunting on rabbits and other small game.
I have shot rem goldens in the past years back and had no complaints myself.
Are they worse now or same today?
Thank You
Head Shot

They tend to be dirtier then the average .22lr. Also, the better rimfire bullets rarely if ever have issues in guns. Not so much with the thunderbolts and goldens.

Point to ponder:

Price is only one aspect of .22, you also have to deal with availability.

Would you rather pay $0.10 per round and get a bunch or get them at $0.08 and buy one box at a time and use up gas and time driving back and forth?

Seems your cost questions have been adequately address so here is some other food for thought:
Cheap ammo has its place but not for most self loaders.
I have a shot out single shot antique pistol with a ten inch barrel I shoot regularly and is dead on accurate with any bullet but "good" bullets wont extract because they have more or better powder so fire form too well in the worn out chamber. The Remington gold plate are under powder just enough they easily extract 95% percent of the time. the other 5% one can hear the extra loud pop telling me their loads are not consistent and it wont be extracting in this gun easily. The only exception to the cheap bullets are the steel cased Russian 22's which are exceptionally dirty and for my guns, are grief stricken adventures. Nonetheless, if the 22 deal is impressive, I'll not walk away empty handed regardless the brand.
All in all; single shots plinking you can go cheap, but buy better for your self loaders and premium for target (unless you sort the "better" for size and weight consistency)

I chose to trade the 2 bricks of Remington gold bulletstandard for 300 rounds of Independence 5.56.

The Remingtons did not shoot well in my 10-22 at all with 1-3 misfires per 25 round magazine.

That said, the CCI mini-mags shoot the best for me.

Last Edited:
I bought some Winchester from Big 5, box of 100 about $8, a friend of mine gave me a 100 ct box of my favorite CCI MiniMag that she had purchased from BiMart fpr $7 or a little under. Also had a box for her own use (in my Ruger).

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews