JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Excellent shoot today.

Remember, though, we learned some things today...

-Do not to drive into the shooting pit or close to the shooting pit unless a clear ceasefire has been issued. Park as far back as possible, tables will be set up hear the line to load at. Cars obstruct vision of people walking around that vehicle if they are parked right at the line. They may clear the car to find a barrel in their face. +1

-If there's some crazy pissed off guy, get out of the shooting pit and let him vent. Don't confront him.How did I miss a crazy pissed off guy? Before I arrived or while in my car?

-Don't shoot the ground or a can on the ground with .223 10 feet in front of the line at an angle even 90* across the line.

-Don't put tannerite behind any rocks from the firing line, put it in front of them so the rocks fly away, not towards us. Was anyone (or thing) actually hit by flying rocks? If so I sure hope it wasn't from any of containers I personally set out there! (if so I'm sorry please let me know and we can schedule a time for you to pelt me with rocks if you like...)

...Do you have Dutch family?

I do, fathers side of the family is Dutch - came to the US during WWII. We still have some distant relatives in Holland. I can trace my lineage back to, among other interesting people, this guy: Michiel_de_Ruyter. He's famous for, among other things, sailing up the river Thames and laying waste to a British fleet... Raid_on_the_Medway

Whoops, sorry for the hijack...

Again, good times today - can't wait for next shoot!:s0155:

I had so much fun with you guys.

We will be doing this again and again, I promise!!!!

The crazy guy was at the very beginning when we all got there, but he soon left afterword.

See you guys again very soon!!!

Also, on a side note...

We all need to plan on doing a dinner once a month, kind of like a club meeting.

What say you???

:s0155:

So someone needs to explain the crazy guy situation...

People were getting almost shot at because some idiot refused the beleive that it was illegal to shoot across the road and because we were dicks for shooting where "he has been shooting for 20 years"... Somebody else can give better detail, i don't even know where to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we drove up, a gentleman and his friends were parked in a red SUV on the far side of the road, right in the middle rear of the pit.

First thing I noticed was his bench, which was set up behind the road, but I didn't notice any weapons on the table, so I assumed that he had just arrived.

Then, we all drove in and parked on or behind the road.

Yet, a van drove in the left side pit and parked there for quite a while, while the occupant set up a clay shooter.
This irritated the man with the red SUV, rightfully so.

Then, he started firing at the left most side of the pit, which was extremely dangerous, and very uncalled for.

He began to rant and rave about the van, and then about us being there, "20 years blah blah blah." quite loudly to his friends, and I think we all became quite weary at this point.

Somebody should have yelled cease fire, but I think people were still setting up when he left, although this is not an excuse. I'm glad he left, but there was no way he was going to stick around on my watch, or anybody elses once we realized what was going on.

I think that part of the problem with the crazy guy lies in the fact that many of us, including me, thought that this guy was part of our own group who had shown up early. We knew that there were some people who already knew where the pit was, and planned to meet at the pit instead of caravaning from the North Plains McDonalds. When we first arrived, some cars drove in front of this jerks (blue, by the way) Chevy S-10 blazer, while some others parked down the road just shy of his location. I myself drove my Rover just past his tailgate and immediately turned left so I could park behind a small gravel pile, reasoning that it might provide some small amount of protection in the event of a ricochet. We barely had time to get out of the truck and open the tailgate before this psycho opened fire! I looked up to see someone walking just on the pit side of the road, and only maybe 25-30 feet to the left of the path psycho boys bullet was travelling, WELL downrange from the muzzle of his gun! I immediately yelled Whoa! That ain't cool! At which time the guy proceeded to crank out a few more shots. My friend Brian quickly walked over to ask him to please cease fire, that there were people downrange. This is when the guy started to get really beligerent and shout things like we were the idiots ,he and his (one) friend were there first, and that people shouldn't drive thru someone else's shooting pit while the other people are shooting. All this as he was really getting in Brian's face about it, getting visibly more agitated and louder with every word. This is about the time the guy started to shout about how he had been shooting there for 20 years, and that it isnt right to just show up and start intimidating people! I quietly said, its illegal to shoot across or alongside (parallel) a road in Oregon. His buddy said they were almost finished shooting anyway, and then said loudly "well don't shoot, Iam going down to pick up MY target!" I guess he must have been talking to his friend, since he was the only one who had been shooting. I'm not sure who, but some other guy came up to the psycho to talk to him about then, which only caused him to start yelling and cursing again. Again, I just stood back to keep an eye on the situation, and they soon left, still raving about how WE were trying to intimidate THEM! Absolutely unbelievable. So let me get this straight. If you have been shooting somewhere for "20 years" and were "here first", that it then somehow means that it must be your own private range, that you don't have to obey state laws, and it's totally justified to shoot in an extemely dangerous and reckless manner past people who are clearly downrange and in harms way! And then claim to be the victims of intimidation. I am quite content that they decided to leave on their own. But getting back to the original point, this whole incident might have been avoided if someone had checked out if these guys were part of our group, and explained what we were there for, before folks from our group started to wander into and across what was in fact a live firing range. Perhaps when we have an organized shoot we should appoint a shoot leader, someone to be in charge of our group and be spokesman to other folks we might encounter, as well as a sort of safety leader to be the one to let the group know when or if it is safe to go downrange. Participants should agree to abide by the leaders range commands and follow his lead when dealing with others. This might help to avoid future situations. Remember, it's OK to be a gun nut, but it is NOT OK to be a nut with a gun! Safety First!

The person that came over after you was my friend Jeff. None of us on the other side knew that you approached him or that he was leaving so Jeff stepped up and said I will ask him to leave. I am hoping he will join the forums soon.

The person that came over after you was my friend Jeff. None of us on the other side knew that you approached him or that he was leaving so Jeff stepped up and said I will ask him to leave. I am hoping he will join the forums soon.

Me too :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads