JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not to fault you. But if there was another place to shoot I was going to start looking.
It's all good, that was my first time there and though it's quite a drive in there the site was pretty nice and remote. Longer distance shooting is not good though. I remember going to a BLM location off of Butler road also from Elmira which is where we were going to go but I couldn't find it

Not sure what your thinking is wanting a semi-auto shotgun in your shop for a "close contact knock down firearm". What are your thoughts as to what might come into your shop when you are there? Usually racking the slide of a 12GA will send a would-be bad guy running. If someone decides to go further even after hearing the racking and chambering a shell, then 1 blast should just about do the trick.

I have an 18" Mossberg 12GA, pistol grip nearby when working in my shop.

Maybe a Mossberg 500 – ATI Tactical? 18.5" barrel can be tucked away in inconspicuous places fairly easily.

As mentioned, semi-auto's can be finiky. A pump usually doesn't fail you. Plus you really can get quite a few rounds off in a short amount of time with a pump.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

:s0155:
Short stroking is a major concern with pump actions in stressful situations and is well documented among LE and military. Training definitely required, and use 2.75" shells. A good semiauto shouldn't fail but I'd still go with pump.

I know someone (ahem) that owns a Remington 870 Wingmaster manufactured in 1950! Still shooting well today I am told with no issues. They just don't seem to wear out!

I actually have a pump gun that is really old, I believe it was used as a trench gun in WW2, unfortunately the previous owner did not care for it and it's currently in pieces waiting to be reassembled.

Pump guns, older 870's and model 12s are great. But slam firing an original model 97 trench gun in good shape is the best of the best, especially with an original bayonet.

Last Edited:
Is that your way of saying you've got a Wingmaster for sale?
Nope. This is a long gun I will never sell. Made in my birth month and birth year. [you can do the math LOL] My plan is to gift it to my son in Montana at the right time. Right now it is retro fitted with a shorter barrel for use inside the house if ever needed and an extended feed tube. Still a shooter, however. Fun sometimes just to go out and blast things at the range. Heck, even the wife loves this one. :)

Mossbergs suck, there I said it. I'd go with a remington 1100 or 11-87. Damned reliable, steel reciever. Can dump a 5 round tube in a few seconds, you just got to lean into it a bit.

Mossbergs suck, there I said it. I'd go with a remington 1100 or 11-87. Damned reliable, steel reciever. Can dump a 5 round tube in a few seconds, you just got to lean into it a bit.
Lol. The 870 I had would rust in the field while you're out hunting.

Lol. The 870 I had would rust in the field while you're out hunting.
Wow, you sure you want to put that out there? It says more about the owner than the gun. A little oil, a wipe down with a silicone cloth, heck even an application of automotive paste wax will prevent rust. Maybe you are a fan of destructive testing?

Wow, you sure you want to put that out there? It says more about the owner than the gun. A little oil, a wipe down with a silicone cloth, heck even an application of automotive paste wax will prevent rust. Maybe you are a fan of destructive testing?
There is a running joke that the gun will rust in the field while you're using it. The issue that I actually had was it rusting in my safe, and the POS had never seen any humidity. But yes, I'll happily say that the gun was garbage. New Remington's are terrible, old ones are great. It also had an extraction issue.

And going back to the owner, I have a very large collection that are all well taken care of. Feel free to lookup any of my previous sale items.

Last Edited:
I'm a Mossberg guy and currently have a 590 Special Purpose and a 930 Thunder Ranch. The 590 is eight shots and the 930 was originally 4+1. I added a +2 mag extension for a 6+1 capacity.
They are stout and reliable and didn't break the bank.

JMHO

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads