JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Beretta 1301 or the poor mans 1301...the Mossberg 930
^^^This right here.

I have Beretta 1301 that I did an entire Aridus parts upgrade with a T-1 Micro CROM, a Nordic extension, SF Dual Fuel Scout light w/ Cloud Defensive M-Lok LCS and BFG VCAS Sling. It is a serious...
Nd9GcQFUZ306broC7uJnBvvS8WnDw4kydkxUrcm3A&usqp=CAU.jpg

I live on 20 acres in the mountains outside of Sheridan and I keep some kind of firearm the buildings that I frequent the most ( glocks for the most part due to the durable polymer frame) . I'm thinking I want a scattergun to keep in my shop ...
Word to the wise, if you didn't already know this ....
If you ever post a photo of your property online, be sure to delete the EXIF data before doing so.
- right-click the image file.
- select "Properties" from the right-click menu.
- click the "Details" tab at the top of the "Properties" dialog box.
The info listed under "Details" is metadata with your photo when you save it, email it, or post it online

I'm 70 with arthritis in my neck, shoulders, lower back and hips - which biases me toward an autoloader like the Mossberg 930. I agree with others that a pump action is simpler, more reliable and generally easier to maintain.

A handgun with a weapon-mounted light, so long as it is always on your person, is always a good option especially moving between buildings in the evening. It leaves one hand free to open/shut doors and gates, grab or fend off other objects and [best of all] enable two-hand shooting.
Bob

Word to the wise, if you didn't already know this ....
If you ever post a photo of your property online, be sure to delete the EXIF data before doing so.
- right-click the image file.
- select "Properties" from the right-click menu.
- click the "Details" tab at the top of the "Properties" dialog box.
The info listed under "Details" is metadata with your photo when you save it, email it, or post it online

I'm 70 with arthritis in my neck, shoulders, lower back and hips - which biases me toward an autoloader like the Mossberg 930. I agree with others that a pump action is simpler, more reliable and generally easier to maintain.

A handgun with a weapon-mounted light, so long as it is always on your person, is always a good option especially moving between buildings in the evening. It leaves one hand free to open/shut doors and gates, grab or fend off other objects and [best of all] enable two-hand shooting.
Bob
Good points Bob, I'm not there yet but hope to still be living where I'm at when I reach that age and arthritis is no joke even at 53

Beretta 1301 or the poor mans 1301...the Mossberg 930
This ^^^
I like the Beratta gas system a lot.
Very easy to maintain.
I have a steel receiver B80 which is a Beretta in a Browning skin.
My favorite shotgun of all time.

Mossbergs are popular because they're cheap and they work.
Not much for lookin' at.

The Millennials like Benellis and they're very popular.
Kinda ugly like Mossbergs, though.
Benellial
:)

Remington 1100
I have a lot of rounds through these.
And they're still competitive on the Trap range.
The NASCAR of shotgun sports.

After all that OP, for your purposes, you're probably better off with a pump gun.
Stick it in the corner, let it get dusty.
It will shoot when called upon.
Mossberg 500 and you're done.

Or if you want to get sophisticated, go with a Remington Wingmaster (not Express) or an Ithaca Featherlight.
These you'll have to find on the used market.
Both have steel receivers and are very nice guns.
Ithaca Model 37 loads from the bottom and ejects from the bottom.

Last Edited:
Remington 1100
I have a lot of rounds through these.
And they're still competitive on the Trap range.
The NASCAR of shotgun sports.

Or if you want to get sophisticated, go with a Remington Wingmaster (not Express) or an Ithaca Featherlight.
These you'll have to find on the used market.
Both have steel receivers and are very nice guns.
Ithaca Model 37 loads from the bottom and ejects from the bottom.
I hate the 1100/1187 as a fighting gun, sporting gun...meh, maybe.

Also the 870P (or least the older ones, not sure what is going on right now.)

But the 1301 renewed my interest in serious 12ga use, I can plant round almost as fast as I can with my ARs, it is an extremely controlable weapon.

I hate the 1100/1187 as a fighting gun, sporting gun...meh, maybe.

Also the 870P (or least the older ones, not sure what is going on right now.)

But the 1301 renewed my interest in serious 12ga use, I can plant round almost as fast as I can with my ARs, it is an extremely controlable weapon.
With or without your blessing, the Remington 1100 is a Hall-of-Famer.
They mount so well and shoot so soft.
Keep them maintained and they run.

Many hundreds of thousands competitive shooters cannot be wrong.

Another fan of the Remington 1100/1187, they were the Very Best semi auto for a very long time, and taken care of, or not, they are known for being bomb proof reliable! I have hunted the snot out of my 1187 super mag even forgetting the "O" ring, using it as a boat oar, seal club, and sledge hammer, and it still shot everything I stuffed in it! SHOW me another semi that can do that! I only wish Remmy made a full spec ribbed, or ghost ring sight short barrel for the Super Mags, but until they do, I simply bought a spare barrel and lopped off the offending length down to 21 inches and fitted it with the Winny Trench barrel clamp so I can mount the bayonet! Other then that, it' been upgraded with the larger charging handle and speed feed mag well and mag release button as well as a full metal trigger pack! Total cost for the investment was around $930 and change including the purchase of the brand new 1998 1187 super mag!

Was just curious as your want for a semi-auto when a pump can be [almost] just as fast. As the price of pumps can save $$$ over semi-auto's too.

There are folks on both sides of "a semi is better" vs "a pump is better".

Cheers
Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions, I've got some research to do before narrowing down my decision and I've got time since i just came from TJ's in Mac and am really leaning towards a like new never fired Sig 1911 .45

For your budget, take a look at Browning A5, but it only holds five rounds. It has been in production for many decades. Can't go wrong with a Benelli either.

That said, I'm a big fan of pump guns! Racking a round in a Remington 870 or old Winchester model 12, has a huge scare-factor if two legged predators are in the area…

That said, I'm a big fan of pump guns! Racking a round in a Remington 870 or old Winchester model 12, has a huge scare-factor if two legged predators are in the area…
Don't underestimate the sound of a semi racking, it's surprisingly similar.

Take a look at the CZ 712 Utility
20" barrel and an extended mag tube is available
Very soft shooting and mounts and swings well.
I've owned the 930, FN SLP, Benelli M1-Super 90 and M-121, Remington 1100, 11-87 & Tac 13 and the 712
I kept the M1, the Tac 13 and the 712, Gave the Remingtons to my godsons and sold off the rest. The 712 lives in my RV
If money is an issue, I say go with the 712. It really is a good shotgun at a great price

If you dont have a shotgun at all start with a pump. Even the best autoloaders (especially at a lower price point) aren't perfect. A Mossberg or Remington pump action is about as close as it gets though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top