JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I generally since joining NWFA use it as a means of buying and selling firearms but I thought I'd start a thread on something I'm contemplating. I own an AR15 in 300 blk that I assembled last and am currently in process of building an M5. Own a couple revolvers in .357 mag and several Glocks in 9mm. I've realized that I don't own a tactical shotgun or even a hunting shot rifle for that matter. I live on 20 acres in the mountains outside of Sheridan and I keep some kind of firearm the buildings that I frequent the most ( glocks for the most part due to the durable polymer frame) . I'm thinking I want a scattergun to keep in my shop as a close contact knock down firearm that I can use self defense loads in. I'd like something in an auto loader without killing my pocket . Suggestions and or feedback welcomed.

thanks

I think the Mossberg 930 is what you seek. Otherwise, I'd look at pumps that have less to go wrong than a semi. Semi auto shotguns can be picky about the loads. I recently bought a Benelli M2 for three gun.

I think I had one a few years ago, wish I'd kept it but lived in town at the time and never used it. Benelli probably out of my price range but I'll look to see. Perhaps a nuts and bolts pump is the ticket for a grab and blow!

Some of the clones of the Benelli have had decent feedback. After owning numerous autos, I am a very biased Benelli owner.

What is your budget? A decent used Auto-5 set up for the right loads might meet your budget. John Browning considered the auto-5 his crowning achievement. Or you could patiently search for a used Benelli at the right price.

I'm thinking around $1500 would be my limit. I noticed a Dickinson Tactical in Eugene for $650 with a load of ammunition to go with but I'm not familiar with Dickinson.

Not sure what your thinking is wanting a semi-auto shotgun in your shop for a "close contact knock down firearm". What are your thoughts as to what might come into your shop when you are there? Usually racking the slide of a 12GA will send a would-be bad guy running. If someone decides to go further even after hearing the racking and chambering a shell, then 1 blast should just about do the trick.

I have an 18" Mossberg 12GA, pistol grip nearby when working in my shop.

Maybe a Mossberg 500 – ATI Tactical? 18.5" barrel can be tucked away in inconspicuous places fairly easily.

As mentioned, semi-auto's can be finiky. A pump usually doesn't fail you. Plus you really can get quite a few rounds off in a short amount of time with a pump.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

:s0155:

IMG_20210403_131505736.jpg

Not sure what your thinking is wanting a semi-auto shotgun in your shop for a "close contact knock down firearm". What are your thoughts as to what might come into your shop when you are there? Usually racking the slide of a 12GA will send a would-be bad guy running. If someone decides to go further even after hearing the racking and chambering a shell, then 1 blast should just about do the trick.

I have an 18" Mossberg 12GA, pistol grip nearby when working in my shop.

Maybe a Mossberg 500 – ATI Tactical? 18.5" barrel can be tucked away in inconspicuous places fairly easily.

As mentioned, semi-auto's can be finiky. A pump usually doesn't fail you. Plus you really can get quite a few rounds off in a short amount of time with a pump.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

:s0155:
I work down there late especially in the fall and winter months, it's a hike up to the house and it's pitch black when it's cloudy and there are cats ( not domestic ) that have been in the vacinity, we've even had a trespasser wigged out on drugs come traipsing through our property once. There's really no way to know what to expect and half the time our only line of outside communication is out ( Century link sucks) and there's no cell reception. Understand?

I work down there late especially in the fall and winter months, it's a hike up to the house and it's pitch black when it's cloudy and there are cats ( not domestic ) that have been in the vacinity, we've even had a trespasser wigged out on drugs come traipsing through our property once. There's really no way to know what to expect and half the time our only line of outside communication is out ( Century link sucks) and there's no cell reception. Understand?

Was just curious as your want for a semi-auto when a pump can be [almost] just as fast. As the price of pumps can save $$$ over semi-auto's too.

There are folks on both sides of "a semi is better" vs "a pump is better".

Cheers

:s0151:

Was just curious as your want for a semi-auto when a pump can be [almost] just as fast. As the price of pumps can save $$$ over semi-auto's too.

Cheers

I like both blondes and brunettes. I'll take one of each :s0005:

Come to think of it, apparently I like redheads too, as I've got an over-under in the stable.

Cheers

No worries, and you may be right. I've never owned a pump so perhaps I should keep an open mind . I'm not going to run out and buy something without looking it over thoroughly especially if it's over a grand which is precisely why I asked for comments and suggestions

No worries, and you may be right. I've never owned a pump so perhaps I should keep an open mind . I'm not going to run out and buy something without looking it over thoroughly especially if it's over a grand which is precisely why I asked for comments and suggestions
Stay away from new Remington's. I'd buy a Mossberg 500, 590, or Benelli Supernova in a heartbeat. That said, my pump is an old Winchester Model 12. You can't go wrong with an old Remington 870 Wingmaster. The older ones can be had for under $600. I'm still yet to shoot my Benelli, but reviews all point towards stone cold reliability with loads other than target.

*Edit - Get an old Model 12 and you can slam fire :s0010:

Stay away from new Remington's. I'd buy a Mossberg 500, 590, or Benelli Supernova in a heartbeat. That said, my pump is an old Winchester Model 12. You can't go wrong with an old Remington 870 Wingmaster. The older ones can be had for under $600. I'm still yet to shoot my Benelli, but reviews all point towards stone cold reliability with loads other than target.

*Edit - Get an old Model 12 and you can slam fire :s0010:
You say you purchased for a three gun competition? Where about?

I'm a member of CVSC in Dundee but I've been so busy this year between work and farm that I've not even been to the range since paying this years dues. Did get out to do some shooting outside of Junction city on high line road last weekend though.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top