JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in the middle on the plastic bag debacle.

Part of me doesn't understand why it is so hard it is to just do your part and bring reusable bags.

Funny that they took it so.

Part of me doesn't understand why it is so hard it is to just do your part and bring reusable bags.
A good part of it is sanctimonious bs like this...
A week ago, if you stopped off at the store for some apples, the store was kind enough to provide you w a bag to carry your apples home.

Now, suddenly, we're all supposed to
A) carry bags around w us all the time
B) learn to juggle
C) stop saving the earth, drive a truck full of grocery bags everywhere "just in case".
D) stop shopping.

Even saying "I can't understand why" certain people don't do this or that puts you into a Eutopian camp... you don't have to understand why everyone doesn't travel w their own supply of tiny garbage bags. They just don't.

A good part of it is sanctimonious bs like this...
A week ago, if you stopped off at the store for some apples, the store was kind enough to provide you w a bag to carry your apples home.

Now, suddenly, we're all supposed to
A) carry bags around w us all the time
B) learn to juggle
C) stop saving the earth, drive a truck full of grocery bags everywhere "just in case".
D) stop shopping.

Even saying "I can't understand why" certain people don't do this or that puts you into a Eutopian camp... you don't have to understand why everyone doesn't travel w their own supply of tiny garbage bags. They just don't.
My bad.

Sorry I triggered you.

I was just stating an opinion, didn't realize it would make me morally superior. Thanks for making it sound like I was implying that.

It was a convenience thing, the start of using bags at grocery stores. The use of plastic was just a cheaper way to provide this convenience to store patrons.

The fact that they are considered disposable is the problem. So people just garbage them. Tons and tons of them.

Before the use of bags, you would bring your own carrying device, whether it be a basket or whatnot.

In society it is usually too hard to change people's ways, changing the product usually is much more efficient, without having to put in the effort to change the persons habits.

I'm all for the reduction of unnecessary plastics.

There has been a pretty significant unintended consequence to banning plastic bags in San Diego. We've had a huge Hepatitis outbreak since the ban went into effect.

It seems the homeless population used to use the plastic bags to...errr...um...poop in, and then throw it in the trash. No bags means...well you get the picture. :rolleyes:

San Francisco has also seen a substantial rise in the amount of crap (literally) on their streets and sidewalks.

They banned bags in Portland. So all you need to do is go 1 foot outside city limits and you get your plastic bag! They were never single use to me. I kept 'em and used them for all sorts of things. Trash can liners, for one. I never ONCE took my bags and threw them in the ocean either. But now I have to go buy bags to line the can. Look at all the people getting shot with guns. I DON'T do it though. None of us here do it? Should we take guns away from everyone? "Guns", bad analogy.:oops: Let's get cars away from people. Lots of people die in car accidents. Yeah.

I don't think you triggered anybody Reno, really. A person just gets sick of "Big Brother" telling you how you WILL live, and has to vent. I get it. Sheesh, living in PDX you're always getting told how you will live your life!

I don't think you triggered anybody Reno, really. A person just gets sick of "Big Brother" telling you how you WILL live, and has to vent. I get it. Sheesh, living in PDX you're always getting told how you will live your life!

See that's just it, there are those of us here, like you Mike, that I know do the right thing.

There are those here, that say they do the right thing, because, internet.

Then there is the general population that does very little correctly. It could be ignorance, it could be on purpose.

There is a problem with unnecessary plastics occurring on this planet. That is a fact, disagree if you like, but it is very much documented and evident.

I don't always agree about the whole "big brother" thing either. Most of these laws are enacted by the people within the city limits that want this. The people are creating and enacting these plastic laws, trust me the money is on the opposition in this case. There is a lot of money involved in keeping plastic bags in stores. So if a law gets passed that could help with keeping additional unnecessary plastics by the comminity, it is considered "big brother" if you do not agree?

I'm honestly not trying to piss anyone off, just putting out some thoughts on this. As I personally see nothing wrong with getting more people to stop using plastic bags or straws, or the countless other single use items made from plastic. That, or at least get them to properly dispose of them.

See that's just it, there are those of us here, like you Mike, that I know do the right thing.

There are those here, that say they do the right thing, because, internet.

Then there is the general population that does very little correctly. It could be ignorance, it could be on purpose.

There is a problem with unnecessary plastics occurring on this planet. That is a fact, disagree if you like, but it is very much documented and evident.

I don't always agree about the whole "big brother" thing either. Most of these laws are enacted by the people within the city limits that want this. The people are creating and enacting these plastic laws, trust me the money is on the opposition in this case. There is a lot of money involved in keeping plastic bags in stores. So if a law gets passed that could help with keeping additional unnecessary plastics by the comminity, it is considered "big brother" if you do not agree?

I'm honestly not trying to piss anyone off, just putting out some thoughts on this. As I personally see nothing wrong with getting more people to stop using plastic bags or straws, or the countless other single use items made from plastic. That, or at least get them to properly dispose of them.

Here's the problem I see. Why haven't the powers that be figured out how to recycle the plastic. I know there's a way to do it. Just effen DO IT! They used to take bags at the recycling stations. I know why they don't anymore too. I know they used to make clothes and various thing out of the plastics. I get tired of seeing so much money wasted on things that benefit the few. Dealing with plastic would benefit everyone. FYI, I always forget my bags and use paper from the store, and into the bin so it can be recycled. AND, I have a huge bag of plastic bags I can't recycle anymore that i squeeze into the 20gal. can that that Sam Adams decided I only get to have picked up every two weeks! Now, dammit! Look what you've done! I'm triggered! :eek: :(

So back in the 70's they came up with plastic grocery bags so that we could save the trees. Now they don't want to use trees for logging but to use just enough to do away with the plastic grocery bags. The lunacy has come full circle. Plastic grocery bags are not a scourge. Litter is litter, it comes from everywhere, by everyone (well, dolts that is).
Here's the bottom line, we will all be just a layer of sediment in 10,000 years. I'm looking to the future.

Now, dammit! Look what you've done! I'm triggered! :eek: :(
My bad!

You make a good point about there being no real good way to get folks to recycle them since they stopped accepting them at the recycling stations.

If a private or governing agency created a better way, I'm certain people would do better.

Without this though, I'm afraid the general pop just doesn't properly dispose as the go to method is to simply toss them in the garbage.

Sadly, we are learning faster than I think we anticipated, what tossing everything in the garbage causes.

My bad!

You make a good point about there being no real good way to get folks to recycle them since they stopped accepting them at the recycling stations.

If a private or governing agency created a better way, I'm certain people would do better.

Without this though, I'm afraid the general pop just doesn't properly dispose as the go to method is to simply toss them in the garbage.

Sadly, we are learning faster than I think we anticipated, what tossing everything in the garbage causes.

I don't know what happened there Bryan.. I meant to put this..;).. after this..:eek: I was funnin'!

Of course we all want to be good stewards of the earth that we walk on. Problem is that when we see solutions enacted where there isn't really a problem then there's a natural resentment generated. City councils enacting bans merely for the sake of virtue signaling seems to be the trend of late. The problem gets compounded, when they try to squeeze more and more people into limited spaces and tell us that we have to start building vertical and live our lives in a certain way. As the population density increases, the quality of life decreases.

they passed that law here and MADE the stores charge you 5 cents for a paper bag---to encourage you to buy cloth bags.
I happen to have saved bags for years to stuff in a archery target. Now I only shop at Winco for perishables and order everything else on Amazon. Free two day shipping from Prime. It is so much easier---I know if it's in stock before wandering through Walmart to see where they moved the stuff.
Sorry, I just don't like being "nudged". And it does not seem to be popular.

A recent diagram I saw published in TIME, or another similar magazine showed the places where plastics entering the ocean (or accumulating) were the worst.

China was by far the largest culprit of being responsible for plastic in the ocean.

So until we find out a way to reign in the largest polluting country on the planet the plastic bag bans here are going to do jack.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top