JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Multnoma County also did it. They even sent the forms to my home in WA. When I renewed earlier this year they asked again.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
ACSWW Member

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but those letters have absolutely no force in law. There was a ruling, I believe just this year that CHL info is public info. The Sheriff down in Medford tried to withhold the info from the newspaper there and it was ruled (can't remember which court) that it was public info. There was an attempt because of this last year to get a law passed in the Oregon legislature to make CHL info priviate, but it died in committee.

If they're gathering the signatures as a means of showing CHL holders desire to make that info private in preparation for getting legislation submitted next year that is one thing, but for now there's not much we can do about it.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but those letters have absolutely no force in law. There was a ruling, I believe just this year that CHL info is public info. The Sheriff down in Medford tried to withhold the info from the newspaper there and it was ruled (can't remember which court) that it was public info. There was an attempt because of this last year to get a law passed in the Oregon legislature to make CHL info priviate, but it died in committee.

If they're gathering the signatures as a means of showing CHL holders desire to make that info private in preparation for getting legislation submitted next year that is one thing, but for now there's not much we can do about it.

Wasnt it only if subpoena'd by a court though?

Wasnt it only if subpoena'd by a court though?

I don't believe so. I believe it was the Medford Star Tribune that was the plaintiff in the case. There was another thread about it here recently. I believe the court determined that it was public info that anyone could request.

Anybody that has any more specific info about this feel free to chime in.

i don't believe so. I believe it was the medford star tribune that was the plaintiff in the case. There was another thread about it here recently. I believe the court determined that it was public info that anyone could request.

Anybody that has any more specific info about this feel free to chime in.

ors 192.445

ors 192.445

Interesting. So it looks like the burden is on us to provide a reason the data should not be disclosed. So you could say "I fear that I would be targeted by burglars" and the county could then say they don't think that is a valid or specific enough reason not to disclose your CHL info. At least that is the way I read it.

WONDERFUL!

It was the Mail Tribune that sued for the information.

The sheriff had Jackson County CCW holders fill out a form stating they wanted their information to be kept private. I think that he lost because he was not able to prove that there was an individual cause or the like to keep them private. I'm not sure if the court will allow those that filled out the form to be kept private.

I posted on this a while back , but here's another article about it.

Jackson County Sheriff must release list of concealed weapons permit holders, Oregon Court of Appeals rules | OregonLive.com

The Jackson County Sheriff's Office must release a list of the names of people who received concealed weapons permits issued in 2006 and 2007, the Oregon Court of Appeals decided today.

The Medford Mail Tribune filed a request with the sheriff's office to release a list of licensees after the Medford School District said teacher Shirley Katz could not carry her 9mm Glock handgun to the campus of South Medford High School.

Share The appeals court upheld a decision by Jackson County Circuit Court which held that concealed weapons permits were not exempt from disclosure.

The sheriff's office had argued, according to today's decision, that "disclosure would unreasonably invade the personal privacy of concealed handgun licensees... and concealed handgun licenses are security measures that are exempt from mandatory disclosure" under Oregon statutes.

The court said that "even though it appears that some applicants may have applied for concealed handgun licenses as a security measure, the sheriff's argument that the security measure exemption applies to all concealed handgun licenses runs into the same problem as the sheriff's personal interest exemption argument.

View full sizeJackson County Sheriff's OfficeJackson County Sheriff, Mike Winters.
"However, the record does not establish which individuals obtained concealed handgun licenses as security measures or whether the individuals who did so actually satisfied the requirements of the security measure exemption."

Shirley Katz sued the school district for not allowing her to carry her handgun to school, but a Jackson County Circuit Court judge ruled that she did not have that right. In November 2009, the Oregon Court of Appeals ruled that the court was correct in not allowing her to carry a gun on campus.

"We first made a verbal request to see if Shirley Katz was on that list, and that request was denied,'' said Bob Hunter, the Medford Mail Tribune's editor. "When that failed, we made a written request for all permits issued."

Hunter said the paper never had any intention of publishing the list of names, but wanted the names for news purposes, Hunter said.

"We believed all along that this was a public records issue for us," Hunter said. "Two courts have agreed with us, so far."

Kevin Starrett, director of the Oregon Firearms Educational Foundation, a nonprofit gun-rights organization, said the decision was not unexpected. The foundation paid $12,345 for Katz's legal expenses.

"The public records law was intended public entities and government, not the activities of private citizens,'' Starrett said. "We're disappointed that the courts and the legislature can't see the difference."

Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters declined to comment on the decision.

--Stuart Tomlinson

Thanks, theorren. I remember seeing that a while back here, but couldn't find it. I hope the proposed bill to protect CHL holders info that never made it out of committee this last legislative session comes up again in next year's legislative session.

Thanks for the info. Done. I think you guys are right though. I'm pretty sure it's only a petition to show our desire to have that info kept private. Why would a paper want that info anyway? Can I now count on some annoying reporter camping out on my lawn and demanding I explain my "right" and justifications to carry concealed? I can only see this being used to paint us in a negative light and to show "what kind of people" CHL holders are.

It's like they say. When the tornado hits, they always find the most ignorant guy in the trailer park to interview on the tv news. They'll use the same tactic here.

The Washington county Sheriff had all CHL holder sign his form last year and even after the recent court ruling, their newsletter states that he does not intend to release the identity of those who did sign.

Interesting. So it looks like the burden is on us to provide a reason the data should not be disclosed. So you could say "I fear that I would be targeted by burglars" and the county could then say they don't think that is a valid or specific enough reason not to disclose your CHL info. At least that is the way I read it.

WONDERFUL!

Ooooo.... now THERE is something for your lawyer to hit them with when you DO get targeted!

You see your honor, I have never been a victim of burglary until my name was released against my wishes so I feel the county (and whomever "requested" the names be released) is a direct accessory in the recent robbery I was a victim of. :s0131: :s0155:

Not sure how much good this will do; I received this in an email yesterday afternoon:

Oregon Firearms Federation
PO Box 556
Canby, OR 97013

Voice: (503) 263-5830

MORE MUCKRAKERS PILE ON

A "reporter" for the Salem "Statesman Journal" is demanding ALL information of concealed handgun license holders.

Stacey Barchenger has contacted several sheriffs demanding "information about all people with concealed handgun licenses in Marion County, including all fields that are part of the CHL applications." (Emphasis added.)

This particular demand makes it clear that Barchenger is seeking not only names, addresses, phone numbers and references, but also the social security numbers of any license holder who disclosed it.

In Barchenger's demand letter, she says "Please understand that we seek these records for the purposes of public interest, and we hope that the spirit of openness in Oregon government will prevail." However Barchenger has refused to disclose the reason for the demand, and while making her demands "in the spirit of openness," doesn't even allow people to see the contents of her "twitter" page.

Most sheriffs are making good faith efforts to protect the privacy of license holders, but like hyenas in a feeding frenzy, we fully expect the "press" to use the recent court decision in Jackson County as an excuse to divulge sensitive information.

It's essential that we do all we can to make sure legislation is passed in 2011 to guarantee the privacy of CHL holders. In the meantime we suggest that you contact Barchenger and let her know that having a CHL does not make a person newsworthy and that you expect to have your privacy respected.

Stacey Barchenger
Statesman Journal
280 NE Church St.
Salem, OR 97301
503-399-6610
[email protected]

This is my response to this;
Greetings Stacey
It is my understanding that you want some information about me and so you don't have to ask anyone else, my name is; Donald James Jacobe I reside at 1165 Cordon Rd NE, Marion County, Salem, OR, my zip code is 97317, my phone number is 503 362-0584 and I do have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Now that I have shared with you I expect you to do the same to me. If there is any other information that you wish, please, feel free to contact me and we may exchange what every information you need face to face.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Stay Safe

Jim

Jim's Jacobe Firearms/Self-Defense and Use of Force Instructor homepage

Not sure how much good this will do; I received this in an email yesterday afternoon:

PO Box 556
Canby, OR 97013

Voice: (503) 263-5830

MORE MUCKRAKERS PILE ON

A "reporter" for the Salem "Statesman Journal" is demanding ALL information of concealed handgun license holders.

Stacey Barchenger has contacted several sheriffs demanding "information about all people with concealed handgun licenses in Marion County, including all fields that are part of the CHL applications." (Emphasis added.)

This particular demand makes it clear that Barchenger is seeking not only names, addresses, phone numbers and references, but also the social security numbers of any license holder who disclosed it.

In Barchenger's demand letter, she says "Please understand that we seek these records for the purposes of public interest, and we hope that the spirit of openness in Oregon government will prevail." However Barchenger has refused to disclose the reason for the demand, and while making her demands "in the spirit of openness," doesn't even allow people to see the contents of her "twitter" page.

Most sheriffs are making good faith efforts to protect the privacy of license holders, but like hyenas in a feeding frenzy, we fully expect the "press" to use the recent court decision in Jackson County as an excuse to divulge sensitive information.

It's essential that we do all we can to make sure legislation is passed in 2011 to guarantee the privacy of CHL holders. In the meantime we suggest that you contact Barchenger and let her know that having a CHL does not make a person newsworthy and that you expect to have your privacy respected.

Stacey Barchenger
Statesman Journal
280 NE Church St.
Salem, OR 97301
503-399-6610
[email protected]

This is my response to this;
Greetings Stacey
It is my understanding that you want some information about me and so you don't have to ask anyone else, my name is; Donald James Jacobe I reside at 1165 Cordon Rd NE, Marion County, Salem, OR, my zip code is 97317, my phone number is 503 362-0584 and I do have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Now that I have shared with you I expect you to do the same to me. If there is any other information that you wish, please, feel free to contact me and we may exchange what every information you need face to face.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Stay Safe

Jim

Jim's Jacobe Firearms/Self-Defense and Use of Force Instructor homepage

This really grinds my gears. I will be giving her a call. I'm going to have to wait a few days until I cool off so I don't say something that will paint CHL holders in a bad light, however, I do wish to express my outrage. I have noted your answer above. Anyone have any other suggestions on what I should say? Input from the forum community would be appreciated.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top