JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How about having them ask if there's a swimming pool since it's almost 100 times more likely to kill a child than a gun is?

"If you own a gun and have a swimming pool in the yard, the swimming pool is almost 100 times more likely to kill a child than the gun is."
The Chicago Sun-Times.

So on the surface this group is kinda a good thing.
A coalition of gun control advocates announced its ASK (Asking Saves Kids) program today, which is "aimed at encouraging inquiry by parents and neighbors about guns in homes where their children play."

Parents are often too lackadaisical about who and where their children play. If a child of mine was going to someone's house I'd be interested to know whether they kept their firearms in a safe or otherwise. I'd be very, very concerned about a pool as well. Children need care and guidance, and placing them in the hands of a stranger is always a risk. So getting to know the families your kids are hanging around is definitely important.

All of that said, this group is probably looking to cause hysteria and anti-gun sentiment. That would certainly be a negative. From this article it seems unclear. If their goal is to promote safety, communication, and education about firearms storage and use that I could be OK with.

If I were the tin foil hat type, I would wonder if this big push to "ask" is to begin to gather info for a future of paid citizen informants. But im not.

My take is "IF" they want to ask, I don't have to give them a reply!!! Straight up!!! They are NOT promoting safety in any way, it's just another way for government to keep track of gun owners!!! Don't be fooled!!!
I trained my kids at 4 & 5 years old what a grapefruit (their friends or brother or sister head) would look like when a gun is involved. They were taught the same gun handling proficiency as in hunter ed. and told that I would be the one they would have to answer to if they did anything stupid with guns. And to this day, they respect their Father for taking the time and considerable effort to train them and guns. Brings a tear to my eyes when they tell me that.... sniff sniff

I would think it would be a courtesy to those who ask about guns that we ask about drugs, alcohol and swimming pools in theirs!!!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top