JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The army has been rumored for some time now to be considering a replacement for their traditional Beretta M9. I thought it would be fun to see what pistol, if any, everyone thinks should replace the M9 in combat. The M9 has had its problems over the years and in my opinion is any thing but the ideal side arm to take into combat. Not that the M9 is a bad weapon but I just think their are better options. To get the ball rolling I personally think that if the M9 is replaced it should either be replaced with a SIG p226 9mm or a SIG p227 .45 ACP depending on what caliber they are looking for. Sig was a top contender the first time the military was looking for a sidearm but in my humble opinion got gipped. So what do you think?

tumblr_m92kacX80I1r740w9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m92kacX80I1r740w9o1_1280.jpg

The army has been rumored for some time now to be considering a replacement for their traditional Beretta M9. I thought it would be fun to see what pistol, if any, everyone thinks should replace the M9 in combat. The M9 has had its problems over the years and in my opinion is any thing but the ideal side arm to take into combat. Not that the M9 is a bad weapon but I just think their are better options. To get the ball rolling I personally think that if the M9 is replaced it should either be replaced with a SIG p226 9mm or a SIG p227 .45 ACP depending on what caliber they are looking for. Sig was a top contender the first time the military was looking for a sidearm but in my humble opinion got gipped. So what do you think?

View attachment 57159

FN or HK

The beretta was adopted as the M9 and the Sig 228 was adopted as the M11. The M11 was too expensive for general issue and used for specialized units (worked with CID).

If there is going to be a replacement I am thinking the Glock 17 to stay aligned with our British allies.

My 2/100ths of a U.S. dollar

SF-

The NATO Ammo standard is 9MM, as is 7.62 and 5.56. I don't think the M-9 is bad for a 9MM myself, but most were issued in the late 1980's. If they stay with 9MM is the plan then I would merely buy a small order to replace a small portion of the inventory and then send the old ones to the factory for refurbishment (Some would need more than others) and then use those to continue the exchanges until everything is new or refurbished to like new. I think a military sidearm should have first round double action capability.

I've known a few operator types who've gone back to the sandbox as contractors. EVERY single one of them took a Glock.

Unless you're doing some kind of spec-ops thing, your pistol is a last-ditch weapon. It would seem to me that what you really want, over everything else, is reliability. I'm not a Glock fanboy by any means, but if reliability is your main criteria, I'm not aware of anything that beats them.

Most likely to be another 9mm pistol. Lots of contenders out there but Glock is a likely choice even though I think there are better choices out there. The one thing a military pistol has to do is fit a very large variety of hands from small dainty hands on a women to large ape paws. I think something like the HK P30 with its ability to change both the backstrap and side panels would be a far better choice but ultimately cost will be a major driving factor on what gets selected.

Yes the contractors for the most part carry a Glock 17 or 19, but I think there are quite a few who would rather carry something in a .45. I think there may be some specialized units carrying H7K .45's who are real happy with them.

Something to keep in mind is the logistics. Many modern pistols are modular, armorer serviced guns, but perhaps none more so than the Glock. Fire control parts, slides, frames, and barrels can all be swapped out in short time. Also, a well trained monkey can do the swapping, so getting large numbers of people trained up is not only fast, but cheap as well...

There may be better guns, but I doubt there are very many that are as reliable, cheap, and easy to work on as Glocks. Don't mean to be a fan-boy, but that's just the way it is...

I carried a lot of guns in the service and they varied depending where I was and what I was doing.

I love the Beretta and I believe it will continue to stay that way. I have used them in all conditions and they always perform.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

This type of pointless thread comes up all of the time.

The M9 won't be replaced any time soon, especially with the DoD still buying them in their hundreds of thousands.

Most SIG fans don't even realize that the XM9 trials had to be modified to keep the SIG P226 from being disqualified and leave the Beretta 92F as the only competitor in the trials. The SIG samples badly failed one of the two mud tests that both the 92F samples and the control 1911A1s passed easily.

The Big Army will never adopt a ND machine like the Glock. The safety that is sometimes retrofitted to G-thangs is also right hand only, which isn't going to cut it anymore in an era where complete ambidexterity is the current state of the art.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top