Armslist Spam

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by bprice92, May 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bprice92

bprice92
    Vancouver

Is it just me or is armslist turning more and more into spam? It almost seems as bad as craigslist. Fake posts or fake people messaging you about something you have on there.

2. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo
    Milwaukie

Was like that 10 years ago....

titsonritz likes this.
  3. bprice92

bprice92
    Vancouver

I mean like literally every post is fake.... 10 years ago it was only hit or miss

4. GOG

GOG
    State of Jefferson
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I don't bother with it, it's not worth the hassle. Even when it was semi-decent you had to deal with garbage. :rolleyes:

5. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2018 Volunteer

I look to see when they joined Armslist.
    If it was the same day they listed an ad, I avoid responding, but when the member joined years ago, I'll give it a shot.

Caveman Jim and BillyJean like this.
  6. BillyJean

BillyJean
    Cascades

I've always noticed plenty of spam, but I find most of it is pretty easy to avoid. Annoying to get so many "is this still available" emails with nothing else in the message, but I come across a lot of tire kickers on here, too.

There's great deals to be had over there, and I've had some pretty scarce pieces make their way into the stable off of there, so for me it's generally worth pinching my nose and diving in.

SUPER X and FullMetalJerk like this.
  7. Flopsweat

Flopsweat
    Slightly right of center

OK, I have to admit that I don't get what's wrong with asking if something is still available. I can see adding another question too, but I don't see the point of trying to negotiate if it's already sold. Not trying to start anything, I just genuinely don't understand.

jbett98 likes this.
  8. PNWguy

PNWguy
    nunya
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Never been on Armslist and gave up on Craigslist...

Selling my pop-up camper word of mouth or just putting a sign on it for $500 or best offer. So much less drama than posting it on Craigslist and getting multiple scam attempts, people calling or texting at all hours, people getting mad at me when it isn't what they thought it was; despite my very clear listing details, people trying to barter for chickens or some other nonsense, ridiculous lowball offers, etc.

I sold a section of direct vent chimney a couple of years ago engineered specifically for gas or propane heating stoves. Had the small diameter inner chimney with the outer chimney that drew in the fresh air for the stove. Stainless steel and worth about $80 for a 3' section. Was asking $75 for three sections left over from installing my stove. I took multiple pictures, including the tag, copy and pasted the manufacturer's description and highlighted that this was ONLY for direct-vent gas appliances.

A woman called me and said she wanted the pipe (giggity) and if I was available tonight. Said she was driving from Spokane and would be at my house in two hours. We confirmed price and when she would be here. Then, she asked me to confirm that this would work for a wood stove. I told her it wouldn't, so she started cussing at me and hung up. Craigslist.

The guy that eventually bought it showed up with a Toyota Camry to pick up a 9' section of chimney. LOL.

Flopsweat, Lazyfaire and Flymph like this.
  9. BillyJean

BillyJean
    Cascades

That makes sense to me. I'm not out to say my way is better or the right way, so I apologize if I came off as judgemental.

I do make the assumption that if the ad is up then something's available. If it's an old ad, I might ask if it's available but I'm also going to get to my larger point quickly so they see I'm serious and that I'm not out to waste anyone's time. Different strokes for different folks!

Flopsweat likes this.
  10. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist
    There

Lots of flakes and tire kickers

Caveman Jim likes this.
  11. bprice92

bprice92
    Vancouver

Yea I will admit there is a few flaky people here as well....

12. Dyjital

Dyjital
    Albany, Ore
    Flavorite Member Staff Member Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

It’s an immediate ignore of somebody asks if it’s still available when you posted it one day prior.

There are reasonable people but mainly I look at dealers only as of late.

With ad blockers running and script blockers because there are more ads on that website than the National Inquirer.

SUPER X and Caveman Jim like this.
  13. titsonritz

titsonritz
    CV-Solame-OC
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Got zero use for them, I spend too much as is with this site.

GOG likes this.
  14. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend
    WA
    GOA Supporter Platinum Supporter Bronze Supporter

Anymore, Armslist is a swap meet.

15. draza

draza
    Corvallis, Oregon

So many black powder guns on there..
    Also, the website doesn't even work right.
    I set it to "vendors that ship" and it still gives me the opposite. I set it to private only and i'm still spammed with dealer listings.
    On top of that too, there is tons of reposts and other BS that shouldn't be on there.
    I personally only use it just in hopes that more people will see my stuff..

Dyjital likes this.
  16. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2018 Volunteer

I sure miss OutdoorsTrader. Mostly older guys with vintage firearms, good prices and kept their word when making the deal.

warsteiner and SUPER X like this.
  17. titsonritz

titsonritz
    CV-Solame-OC
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

That was a good place.

jbett98 likes this.
  18. SUPER X

SUPER X
    Occupied Oregon

What happen to outdoor trader ? They must have folded under pressure or bought out and shut down. That was a good one.

19. billdeserthills

billdeserthills
    Cave Creek, Arizony

They've also upped the commercials & pop ups:eek:

20. Dyjital

Dyjital
    Albany, Ore
    Flavorite Member Staff Member Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just like any website, there are costs associated with the operation.

It looked to me like it started to crumble with maintenance and eventually it tapped out. No revenue by ads or supporting members will cause it to fail.

High bandwidth sites can run hundred(s) of dollars a month to operate. Costs associated with servers and software licensing eat a lot of dollars.

Whats with Outdoorstrader.com ?

Same reason Armslist sent heavy ads. Cash in on the ads movement and start charging FFL’s. It’s not uncommon, have to advertise somewhere and it costs.