JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
wonder what serial number he'll engrave and it's listed as a private sale. No mention of having a manufacture's FFL and needing to do a BGC.

I think it's a little bit of both.
The guys is dumb for posting TMI
But then again, it could be a setup. Why risk it?
Just buy an upper from an FFL and call it a day. Yes, it'll be on the books but uncle sam knows pretty much everything about everyone so why stress over it.

Why. Its a home built receiver. He can sell it. He needs to engrave the makers name and address and a serial number and if he does it as though he engaged in a business he needs to register as a FFL/Manufacturer. There is nothing illegal as listed in his ad.

^agreed. He can do it but its a hard sell as a home brew. If I was the seller Id just part it out, keep the unmarked lower for cuddles on cold nights.

Why. Its a home built receiver. He can sell it. He needs to engrave the makers name and address and a serial number and if he does it as though he engaged in a business he needs to register as a FFL/Manufacturer. There is nothing illegal as listed in his ad.

You can sell your own home built gun.
( When you do you have t mark it. )
Just cant do it for a primary source of income without a FFL.

Nothing Illegal about it.

How do you have to mark it? Hand stamped or machine engraved? And does it need to be a certain depth?

How many per year can you manufacture before getting a mfg license ?

What kinda taxes need to be paid ?

:)

You dont pay excise taxes unless you are a 07FFL. There is no set limit on how many you can build but once you start doing a few a year you can raise eyebrows. There are specs for engraving found on the atf website.

The ATF Specs for marking only Apply to FFL's.

If you start making guns to sell for profit you are engaging in the business of a MFG.
If you make them and want to sell them to trade up you are collecting.

I know it sounds like a grey area but it's not.
Either you are a collector enhancing your collection by selling a few.........

Or you are doing it for profit and need a FFL.

Not true. You need to mark if you sell. Engage in a business of building to sell and you need an 07 FFL. The ATF is considering simple gunsmithing to be manufacturing these days.

Not true. You need to mark if you sell. Engage in a business of building to sell and you need an 07 FFL. The ATF is considering simple gunsmithing to be manufacturing these days.

I didn't say you didn't have to mark it.
I said the ATF marking requirements are only for ffl's
Depth ,size, ext...

All you have to do is put your name on it.

You don't have to put anything on it unless you sell it. If you sell or transfer it to someone else you need makers marks i.e. name, city, serial number. The fonts and depth minimum standards are the same regardless.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top