JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been thinking about this ever sense of the Burns thing. When we go to the Capital to protest ARMED are we a ARMED take over group. If not what is the difference between us and them? I mean they didn't threaten harm to anyone. They did not stop anybody from going to work. The workers just didn't go. Because they where chicken. Anyhow what do you guys say.

PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE
Don't be that greaser that was at one last year walking around with his AR on his chest and hand on the grip.
IMO that guy makes gun owners look like a bunch of wanna be militants
We don't need his help
As long as everyone is civil and hopefully CC their guns there shouldn't be a problem. If you must be ultra cool and open carry,let it be a nice gun and carry rig that looks good.Maybe not that drop leg you may think is way boss.
Go down there with rifles and it probably will bring the wrong kind of attention.
Go down there with a bunch of guys cammoed up with ARs and screw the pooch for the rest of us

IMHO, if you MUST carry a long gun it should be slung (or cross slung) over your shoulder MUZZLE UP.

If that protocol is good enough for the military while carrying "in garrison", it OUGHT to be good enough for citizens during a demonstration.

Unless you're REALLY on a foot patrol with a high likelihood of enemy contact, walking around at the low-ready makes you look like a F-ing jerk-wannabe. :rolleyes:

Occupying a wildlife refuge for a length of time is different then standing around in the street and parking lot...

Those hippies that camped out in Portland and other public city areas were also ejected from the area with force - they just didn't have guns.

IMHO, if you MUST carry a long gun it should be slung (or cross slung) over your shoulder MUZZLE UP.

If that protocol is good enough for the military while carrying "in garrison", it OUGHT to be good enough for citizens during a demonstration.

Unless you're REALLY on a foot patrol with a high likelihood of enemy contact, walking around at the low-ready makes you look like a F-ing jerk-wannabe. :rolleyes:
When you're taller muzzle up is very dangerous. :p

In my best Tommy Chong impersonation...

Yea man, they had them pipes stuffed full of Labrador man.... That's some good she-at man...

I agree, CC at the Capital, if yer heck bent on open carry, do it in a classy way... I have a specific belt and matching holster for just such occasions... Nicely finished dress leather... As opposed to my normal iwb Milt Sparks Nexus...

Carry a purdy gun in a purdy holster to show them legislators that we are genteel....

In my best Tommy Chong impersonation...

Yea man, they had them pipes stuffed full of Labrador man....

I agree, CC at the Capital, if yer heck bent on open carry, do it in a classy way... I have a specific belt and matching holster for just such occasions... Nicely finished dress leather... As opposed to my normal own Milt Sparks Nexus...

Carry a purdy gun in a purdy holster to show them legislators that we are genteel....
Yes ,your BBQ rig;)

Intent is what matters. The intent of the Burns group was to be subversive and "peacefully hostile". They purposely broke laws and refused lawful orders as part of their protest.

If you intend to open carry at a 2A rally, then be as respectful and competent as possible. Don't be the idiot carrying at low ready with a gas mask on. That makes us all look bad.

In burns they took over a federal complex.
They blocked the roads, and supposedly blocked feds/leos from doing their job.

Go to the federal building downtown with loaded weapons and keep all the employees out, see how well that works.

How well you are perceived can effect how well you are received.
The rest of the world may not be interested in what you like , think or intend , but only in what they think about you and what you are doing.

Fairly or not , how the people who see you , what they think , feel , or perceive your intent to be , regardless of your right can lead to trouble.
Like it or not ,some folks get nervous when they see guns , when folks are nervous bad things can happen.

When the media shows up all they will focus on is the folks carrying their rifles.
All the rifles the media will show or report on are AR15's and AK copies *, regardless if everyone else was carrying concealed , Grandpa's deer rifle from 1930 or a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun ...
Your message will be lost with the headline: "Armed gun owners show up at protest." , or something similar.

I live in a region that leans to more anti-gun than pro-gun , so my thoughts may be biased.
I am fairly sure the above would happen if someone showed up open carrying a rifle at a rally in my neck of the woods.

By all means protest , demonstrate , be proactive for the 2A.
Always do so in a way that is positive for all gun owners .
Do so in a way that does not alienate or make folks nervous.
Andy

Edit to ad: I have nothing against AR's or AK copies , but again like it or not to some people these guns are "bad" and somehow more dangerous than other guns.

Last Edited:
Interesting views. I think the best one was if you don't move when told to is the key point to when trouble starts. But we still have rights about standing are ground to protest? Keep up your views on this.

I had wondered about this too. Were firearms ever brandished, or pointed at people? Is the refuge open to the public at this/that time of year? Why couldn't people go driving out there and bird watch? Because law enforcement would stop people from going bird watching, for their own safety is my guess. So WHO REALLY took over the refuge. A bunch of people that happen to carry fire arms and camped out near the buildings? Illegaly of course as I'm sure it says "Camping in designated areas only", or "No Camping". Or law enforcement supposedly blocking access to the public, from public lands? It's public land, my land, your land, the "Occupiers" land.

Just some things that crossed my mind while all this was going on. Early on I thought, hmm, I'll go out there and say "Hey guys, just goin' past to bird watch. Take 'er easy!" But I'm sure law enforcement would have stopped me.

Last trip to the Castle I had a Ranch Hand in a leather holster. As classy as it gets.

Walking around inside there was no issues, then again I wasn't setting up a tent.

I remember that day well. I had to go talk to a man who kept shouldering his AK and would sweep the crowd every time he did it. Told him to shoulder it and keep it there or he should leave because we don't need that type of bad press around here. He stayed and quit playing with it.

OSP would be all over the castle of their aristocrats if they thought we were performing a coup. They also have retired OSP in chambers looking like rep aides so you wouldn't know who is who.

Besides, 99.99999999% of gun owners aren't dumb enough to select a building that's in the center of a town where elected officials are working.

Never enclose other people in your protest, that's where illegal detainment and kidnapping comes in.

Protest in open air venues if you are armed.

Honestly, as much as I hate to say it - the occupy group that didnt have guns got WAY more sympathy then the police did from the public and media when they went to finally break it up.

Obviously, I am all for gun rights (hell, Im for everything anyone wants to do as long as its not done to me...) but maybe next rally we go to we could all dress in our best buisness formal wear and leave all open carry guns at home.

A bunch of nicely dressed people with 2nd amendment flags and posters would make a much bigger impact then all the (no offense to anyone, just tossin out some stereotypes) Harley driving, POW Vietnam Vets, Tacticool geared guys, hillbilly's, guys and gals tattoed head to toe and people in '80's camo that you see show up at such events.

since the first time hunting at about 4, I've always been taught muzzle down. Why? Better to shoot your foot than your head. Moreover, in the case one leaves the chamber the bullet will only travel a few inches before you know it's going into the ground. You really don't know where it is going with the muzzle up.

Now going to Salem armed. I think we are beyond making a point with our rights. The vast majority of the population does not understand the difference between a right and a privilege.

When the news shows a bunch of camouflaged folks with rifles standing around the capital, lets face it - the majority of the population wonder WTF and why they aren't arrested. They just don't get it.

Add to this the overwhelming laws which do infringe upon your right TKABA and we are realistically one signature from an all out ban on any semi-auto weapon and that vast majority of the population won't care as they will be under the spell which makes them believe they're safer for it.

The love of liberty has waned and the paradigm is shifted to the point where the vast majority of the population are conditioned that liberty is counter to safety and that government with it's control are preferred.

An example: How often do you hear in the news about 'anti-government' groups or persons? Has anyone stopped to consider our own U.S. Bill of Rights is in fact a 'anti-government' document?

To turn it around the youth will have to be taught what freedom and liberty truly are as well as what enemies are out there to take it away (and the motivations for that!) Educate them how prosperity flows from freedom and liberty and show examples. Fail to do that and they will not know any other way than being controlled and taken care of.

:oops:

Last Edited:
I've have never understood why gun owners would even think that bringing an AR or AK to a political rally is a good idea. All these guys do is become instant propaganda for the gun hating media, and reinforce stereotypes to those in the great middle of this debate.

There are a great many people out there who are not for gun control, but will never understand the need for an AK47. Those are the people we need to be reaching, because after you rationally explain why you want to own one and show you aren't a criminal or unhinged, they usually will come to our side.

These Walter Sobchak types are just the turd in the punchbowl that make it almost impossible to win these people over.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top