JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm guessing there have been no regular inspections/cable replacements over the years.
Y'know before those cables became too scary to inspect/replace.
Typical... defer maintenance long enough and eventually it makes repair impossible.

Now they're probably going to be asking for a new one.

Last Edited:
I'm guessing there have been no regular inspections/cable replacements over the years.
Y'know before those cables became too scary to inspect/replace.
Typical... defer maintenance long enough and eventually it makes repair impossible.

Now they're probably going to be asking for a new one.

I read a fairly detailed story of the downfall of Arecibo.
Supposedly, regular cable inspections ceased shortly after the completion of it's upgrades in the mid-90's.
Really a shame.
The story also said that basically no one has stepped up in recent decades to commit long term funding.

I hope they rebuild it.
The NSF has already said they won't, and there's another telescope somewhere else that will take over what Arecibo was doing.
That bit of news was in another article from a coupla weeks ago when the NSF announced that they were deactivating the telescope cuz of the danger of collapse.
I forget what other scope will shoulder the load that Arecibo was carrying, but all of the articles I've read indicate that it wasn't much of a load nowadays cuz of the reduced maintenance in the first place.

Last Edited:
EoKiibWW8AEP2Sr.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews