Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Are there any new gun laws needed in Oregon?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by 51.50, Apr 19, 2014.

1. 51.50

51.50 West of Salem Member

I had the thought the suggest to my state Representative ". Do not write any gun laws that affect law abiding gun owners. "
    Are there any suggestions for a gun law that will affect only criminals?

2. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

By definition criminals don't obey laws---so the only legislation that could possibly be effective would concern the consequences of committing a crime with a firearm. However, I suspect that public flogging for a first offense, and summary execution for a repeat offense might not get past the legislature. There are a few laws on the books that could be removed to the benefit of law abiding citizens.

3. nextgenar

nextgenar roseburg Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would say a castle doctrine, and a stand your ground law, but after the whole Trayon, Zimmerman fiasco good luck with that.

hker71, Nick Burkhardt and parallax like this.
  4. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I got one; idiot politicians that have no experience or knowledge of firearms should not be able to make laws that affect them. I would vote on that in a heart beat.

Steve M, WilliamIV, hker71 and 2 others like this.
  5. nextgenar

nextgenar roseburg Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Amen to that!

6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I can think of a few. It is illegal to injure or kills someone unless in self defense. It is illegal to shoot or "intimidate" someone unless in self defense. Those 2 cover everything "bad" that happens with firearms. Oh I forgot, those already are laws.........

As it was stated criminals by definition do not follow laws so how will more laws stop them?

Stomper and Caveman Jim like this.
  7. fuhr52

fuhr52 Lane County. Oregon Well-Known Member

If our law makers aren't going to enforce the current laws on the books, what good are more laws. As has been said many times, criminals by nature don't obey laws. Maybe we should do something about criminals.

8. parallax

parallax eugene, or-gun Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I got one... Should a person have to defend themselves, the aggressor or aggressors family, cannot file a civil suit against the victim.... PERIOD.....

Bacchus, jbett98, hker71 and 9 others like this.
  9. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The only law I'll ever support is one that affirms rights, on the topic of guns. Oregon already has a good law in the form of legislative preemption, I would support a law that expands that to city ordinances. DMV and public universities can't prohibit lawful possession of firearms, neither should cities be able to regulate beyond the limitations set forth by the state legislature.

I'd really support a commerce-clause federal law that affirms and protects gun rights (as if the 2nd amendment doesn't already bubbleguming do that).

civilian75 and Stomper like this.
  10. tiggers97

tiggers97 United States Well-Known Member

Currently the destruction of records (background checks ) only seems to be a policy and not a law. So I might start there. Plus ability for public to witness and review destruction of public records.
    I think this one could get alot of support as:
    1-privacy rights are an issue now (bipartisan)
    2-could be a bill that doesn't even mention firearms (more bipartisan support for passage)
    3-could get strong support from other groups. Not just pro 2A groups.

bnsaibum, Stomper and Koda like this.
  11. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

a background check thats not a registration scheme

12. Provincial

Provincial Near Salem, OR Well-Known Member

A law that requires any entity that prohibits firearms on it's property, while being open to the unarmed public, to provide a convenient, secure, and anonymous method of checking legally-carried firearms at every entrance. Establishes strict and full liability for loss, damage, or destruction of checked firearms. Makes it a felony to retain or transmit data identifying ownership, possession, make, model, or serial number of any checked firearm. Any person handling the firearm or any person in a position of responsibility for establishing or enforcing policy regarding checked firearms is subject to the felony charges listed above.

This would put a major burden on those businesses and public places that prohibit CCW carry, perhaps enough to convince them to allow CCW.

parallax and ZigZagZeke like this.
  13. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

^ what he said.
    Criminals do not obey laws.

14. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Make the theft of a firearm a felony with mandatory jail time. You should be able to get bipartisan support for that.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  15. Ben Beckerich

Theft of a firearm IS a felony... Class C, to be exact. ORS 164.055

Nwcid likes this.
  16. Ben Beckerich

Mandatory sentencing is a miscarriage of justice, however. We have judges so that the totality of circumstances is taken into account during sentencing the convicted. If you intentionally kill without justification, you're a murderer. But what if your victim was a child rapist? Should you serve the same 25 year sentence as someone who rapes and kills children? A judge can take that into account, and people have been convicted of murder and immediately released for "time served," in the history of American justice, when a judge has been convinced of the ethical justification, if not legal justification, for a criminal act.

Otherwise we'd just have computers instead of judges, and justice be damned.

ZigZagZeke and Nwcid like this.
  17. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

New gun laws? Hell no but there needs to be many new laws pertaining to the politicians mishandling their powers for their own personal gain!!!!

Dunerunner likes this.
  18. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I've been pushing for a bill in the legislature to repeal ORS 166.173, the state statute that allows Portland and Multnomah County to legislate against loaded firearms in public places. When they decided that your private car traveling through Portland is a "public place", to me that is abusing the statute. I want it either repealed or modified to exclude private vehicles as being "public places".

Steve M and parallax like this.
  19. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

If they have served in the military like other good governments intentions we might have something.

20. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

How about a background check card that you simply show to the seller? It gets renewed every year. No need to do a check at every purchase, nor to record purchased firearm information.