JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
By definition criminals don't obey laws---so the only legislation that could possibly be effective would concern the consequences of committing a crime with a firearm. However, I suspect that public flogging for a first offense, and summary execution for a repeat offense might not get past the legislature. There are a few laws on the books that could be removed to the benefit of law abiding citizens.

I can think of a few. It is illegal to injure or kills someone unless in self defense. It is illegal to shoot or "intimidate" someone unless in self defense. Those 2 cover everything "bad" that happens with firearms. Oh I forgot, those already are laws.........

As it was stated criminals by definition do not follow laws so how will more laws stop them?

If our law makers aren't going to enforce the current laws on the books, what good are more laws. As has been said many times, criminals by nature don't obey laws. Maybe we should do something about criminals.

I got one... Should a person have to defend themselves, the aggressor or aggressors family, cannot file a civil suit against the victim.... PERIOD.....

The only law I'll ever support is one that affirms rights, on the topic of guns. Oregon already has a good law in the form of legislative preemption, I would support a law that expands that to city ordinances. DMV and public universities can't prohibit lawful possession of firearms, neither should cities be able to regulate beyond the limitations set forth by the state legislature.

I'd really support a commerce-clause federal law that affirms and protects gun rights (as if the 2nd amendment doesn't already bubbleguming do that).

Currently the destruction of records (background checks ) only seems to be a policy and not a law. So I might start there. Plus ability for public to witness and review destruction of public records.
I think this one could get alot of support as:
1-privacy rights are an issue now (bipartisan)
2-could be a bill that doesn't even mention firearms (more bipartisan support for passage)
3-could get strong support from other groups. Not just pro 2A groups.

A law that requires any entity that prohibits firearms on it's property, while being open to the unarmed public, to provide a convenient, secure, and anonymous method of checking legally-carried firearms at every entrance. Establishes strict and full liability for loss, damage, or destruction of checked firearms. Makes it a felony to retain or transmit data identifying ownership, possession, make, model, or serial number of any checked firearm. Any person handling the firearm or any person in a position of responsibility for establishing or enforcing policy regarding checked firearms is subject to the felony charges listed above.

This would put a major burden on those businesses and public places that prohibit CCW carry, perhaps enough to convince them to allow CCW.

By definition criminals don't obey laws---so the only legislation that could possibly be effective would concern the consequences of committing a crime with a firearm. However, I suspect that public flogging for a first offense, and summary execution for a repeat offense might not get past the legislature. There are a few laws on the books that could be removed to the benefit of law abiding citizens.
^ what he said.
Criminals do not obey laws.

Mandatory sentencing is a miscarriage of justice, however. We have judges so that the totality of circumstances is taken into account during sentencing the convicted. If you intentionally kill without justification, you're a murderer. But what if your victim was a child rapist? Should you serve the same 25 year sentence as someone who rapes and kills children? A judge can take that into account, and people have been convicted of murder and immediately released for "time served," in the history of American justice, when a judge has been convinced of the ethical justification, if not legal justification, for a criminal act.

Otherwise we'd just have computers instead of judges, and justice be damned.

The only law I'll ever support is one that affirms rights, on the topic of guns. Oregon already has a good law in the form of legislative preemption, I would support a law that expands that to city ordinances. DMV and public universities can't prohibit lawful possession of firearms, neither should cities be able to regulate beyond the limitations set forth by the state legislature.

I'd really support a commerce-clause federal law that affirms and protects gun rights (as if the 2nd amendment doesn't already bubbleguming do that).

I've been pushing for a bill in the legislature to repeal ORS 166.173, the state statute that allows Portland and Multnomah County to legislate against loaded firearms in public places. When they decided that your private car traveling through Portland is a "public place", to me that is abusing the statute. I want it either repealed or modified to exclude private vehicles as being "public places".

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews