JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The facts are that the .250 is an excellent caliber, there are many excellent calibers. It boils down to personal choice, spitpatch believes in his, JG believes in his. I still insist that the old -06 is mine, there in lies the reason there are many different choices. As a do all caliber you make your own choice, but I know which one I'm grabbing if I had to grab just one, and I have more than one man probably should,,,, or not:s0131:

Correct, and fully agreed. I would refer all participants here back to my highlighted conclusive statement in my lengthy post referencing that the best is the best that has worked for YOU.

Oh jeez, now you guys are making me want to take that .243 elk hunting just because "I shouldn't"!:s0114:

Actually, I think what Spitpatch feels about his 250 is very similar to the Swedes and their 6.5x55, especially if using long for caliber bullets. Bullets like that penetrate like crazy.

Correct, and fully agreed. And the advantageous attribute here is not necessarily the weight but the relative length (as rightly stated here) of the bullet. While I appreciate Mr. Ruby's crediting of the .250 with the ability to handle 120g bullets, (a VERY long bullet for the caliber), the .250 really falls a bit short (no pun intended) when loaded with that weight bullet. Takes up too much powder space in the case when loaded to short action OAL, and .250's most normally are barrel-twisted for shorter bullets. It is rarely if ever loaded in that caliber. The 100g Partition, however, expands instantly and then penetrates like a knitting needle (of about .40 or so caliber, much to the chagrin of Rosie's Caribou and Mooses.) The 100g Ballistic Tip (another long bullet for the caliber) at .250 velocities performs very well too: not exploding as the Ballistic Tip is noted for at higher velocities.

And, as a clarification to Mr. Ruby, I do NOT tout the .250-3000 as an "Elk Caliber". I tout it as the very best all-around caliber for most North American Big Game (primarily because of its cultivation of shooting skill as a result of attractive, easy, and frequent usage), and therefore from that cultivation, fully ADEQUATE for elk.

I've owned and hunted with 30-30, 30-06, 7mm Magnum, and 338 Magnum, and the only one I have left is the 30-06. For Deer and Elk it's really all I need!

What cartridge would you chooze? We could start a whole new thread here!

This:

ScopedContender25Bullberry.jpg

Since the .250-3000 (rimless cartridge) is a bit much head pressure for the Contender frame, this one is .25 Bullberry (.30-30 necked down, straighter walls, sharp shoulder), on a 15" braked barrel.

You, Orygun, (in the interest of chivalry and sportsmanship, of course) will be allowed a Sheridan Knockabout.

This:

ScopedContender25Bullberry.jpg

Since the .250-3000 (rimless cartridge) is a bit much head pressure for the Contender frame, this one is .25 Bullberry (.30-30 necked down, straighter walls, sharp shoulder), on a 15" braked barrel.

You, Orygun, (in the interest of chivalry and sportsmanship, of course) will be allowed a Sheridan Knockabout.
Heck Spit, if we're going to limit ourselves to 10 paces and a single shot, I'd take a Contender in .41 Mag!
But I'd probably rather be shooting with ya, then again ya!

This is getting old - Spitpatch feels strongly about the 250-3000 - I can respect his position though I dont agree with it - he does not agree with mine. That is fair. Most people determine what is best for them hopefully based on what has worked. I trust my 30-06 - it is highly custmized old school 1903-A3 that some one had put a lot of time building, to me this rifle has built a great deal of trust that it will do it all. The 30-06 is not the best for all situations, any time you try to make one thing do it all there will be trade offs. I think the 30-06 is a bit much for deer and smaller and not as heavy in caliber as I like to use for elk. I have seen a 180gr round nose hornady ( it was one that I had reloaded ) bullet go through a spike elk length wise ( front to back )that was hit at 40 yards. If I could only have one hunting rifle it would be chambered in the 30-06. I have never to this date and hopefully will be able to say it in the future, I have never lost a deer that I shot with a 30-06.

Spitpatch - I hope that you and your 250-3000 have many successful hunting trips in the future and may all your shots be one shot kills.

I am done with this as this is truely subjective and I doubt we will ever agree on one cartridge- thank fully we dont have to.
James Ruby

JGR, We're not as far apart as you may have come to perceive. I'd refer again to my statement: "the best is what has worked for you".

You will also note that my expression of disagreement was only prompted by (and did not occur until) three actions of yours:

1) Derogatory comments toward my choice (I made NO comments regarding your choices, and in fact hold very high regard for the .300 Savage and 7x57 Mauser for very good reasons based on personal experience. Had your derogatory comments toward my choice been based on and supported by your experience with my choice, we'd've had a basis for discussion rather than disagreement).

2) Your speculation that heavier caliber somehow exempts the concientious hunter from being careful about his shots at big game (your highlighting of deliberately shooting an animal "in the south end" disappointed me to a great deal: I had been operating under the favorable assumption that you might well be above that).

3) A factual (NOT subjective) error that needed to be corrected, lest readers here go away believing they could not purchase a new gun in .250-3000. I simply could not allow that deprivation of pleasure to happen.

I for one am happy that they make new rifles in 250-3000 - it is too good a cartridge to let die off. I see it as a light easy rifle to carry - slightly less powerful than one of my favorite cartridges - the 257 robert.

I still do not see 25 caliber rifles as elk guns- I have a beautiful 25-06 on a FN action and it does shoot 120gr bullets well. I would only use that gun as a last resort on elk. Personal preference. To me a general pupose rifle must be able to take game from antelope to elk or bear. I feel strongly that a general purpose rifle must start with seven or a three in caliber.

I have done several things when I was younger that are now unchangabe history that today being a litttle wiser would not do again. Like my dad says -you cant get there from here-meaning simply that it is over. I feel that there is alot more to hunting than pulling the trigger.

James Ruby

Also, I believe that Spitpatch likes to "shake things up" once in a while. Something he's very good and and something I enjoy!

Cheers to all!:drink: