JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I were looking at the .243 I'd take a hard look at the 6mm Remington and if the .257 Roberts was on that list then perhaps a look at the .25-06 would be an option.
Having owned all four I chose the 6 and the .25-06 as keepers, of which the .25-06 would do everything the others will do, just better.
It's not a .30-06, but man it's a neat round that doesn't get the attention it deserves.
If I was after something "smaller" than the 06, the 25-06 would be a natural fit at my house.

I used to know a guy that had 4 rifles with 4 chamberings based on the 57MM Mauser casing. 257Bob, 6MM Rem, 7x57 and 8MM Mauser.
He thought it would simplify things, but has found it's just the opposite. He's constantly checking headstamps and hates sorting his brass, so he has to make sure everything stayed separated, because he can't tell at a glance which casing goes where.

I used to know a guy that had 4 rifles with 4 chamberings based on the 57MM Mauser casing. 257Bob, 6MM Rem, 7x57 and 8MM Mauser.
He thought it would simplify things, but has found it's just the opposite. He's constantly checking headstamps and hates sorting his brass, so he has to make sure everything stayed separated, because he can't tell at a glance which casing goes where.

Exactly why I ended up shelfing the .280, .270, and the .25-06 that the wife and three kids were hunting with and I was loading for.
All of them now use the -06.
Trying to keep tabs on three kids under 18 all shooting different rounds, and the ramifications of not doing so, (besides the fact that the old -06 was better overall choice) was more than enough reason to give a few rifles to family's with up and coming hunters.
Trust me on this though, the .25-06 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Exactly why I ended up shelfing the .280, .270, and the .25-06 that the wife and three kids were hunting with and I was loading for.
All of them now use the -06.
Trying to keep tabs on three kids under 18 all shooting different rounds, and the ramifications of not doing so, (besides the fact that the old -06 was better overall choice) was more than enough reason to give a few rifles to family's with up and coming hunters.
Trust me on this though, the .25-06 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Yup.
That's why my '06 went down the road. That and it wasn't in as nice of a platform, and wouldn't shoot the groups with the variety of ammo my .270s will.

Still nothing better. Just look at these lines of beautiful babies...

image.jpeg image.jpeg

For my all round battery, The 06, the 375, and I add in the 6.5X55 Swede for my collection. I would also be happy with the 25/06 .264 and the Ol wild cat 6.5X06 :)
A bit off subject, but the derail doesn't seem too awful bad, so I'll play along.
My all-around battery would be .22LR, .30-06 and 12 gauge. After that, maybe a .38.

Dean

My all-around battery is my:
.38 caliber Southgate Long rifle, .54 Hawken and 20 gauge Trade gun. :)

But in modern firearms it is indeed tough to beat a .22LR ,.30-06 and a 12 gauge.
'Course you wouldn't sell many gun magazines or get many web site hits with this low key and practical advice. LOL!
Andy

When I was younger, a Lot younger, I asked an old gentleman who had lived during the depression what he thought was the best caliber for deer. He said,".22 long rifle, they're really quiet."

Sheldon