JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Less expensive does not equate to better, unless you're cheap. 375 H&H hands down better.

375 has more energy but thats it.

Its more expensive,
more obscure,
more recoil,
larger and heavier to carry.

And you don't need more than 30-06 for anything short of hunting Elephants/Rhino/Hippo/Grizzly

That is hardly hands down. You only win the "Mine is bigger so its better"

At that rate I could just lay down the .50 bmg and say, "This one is better because it has more energy"

Since I'm not limited to just one rifle, I have to ask, "Better at what?" I'm sorry, but I am not going to enjoy shooting an '06 at varmints for 500+ rounds a day. I think a hot .22, 6mm or .257 is a better coyote gun. If I'm shooting a bunch at long range steel, I might want a fast twisted .22, 6mm, 6.5, or 7mm. Probably going to use something smaller for speed goats.

It's a nice compromise, but not best at any one thing.

And, frankly, with the proliferation of hot 7mm and .30s (.280, .284, 7RM, 7WSM, 7SAUM, .308, .300 H&H/WSM/SAUM/WM/Wby) I'm not sure you could say one is best.

I do like the '06 though, enough so that I have a R700 in a McMillan stock and an M70 Featherweight so chambered.

If there was any cartridge that comes close to replacing the 30-06 it would be the .308 Winchester. Smaller case, just as easy to find, does anything the 30-06 does, same .30 cal bullets. brass everywhere. etc etc etc.

I have it covered with rifles in 223, 243Win, 257Robt, 270Win, 280Rem, 300Sav, 308Win, 30-06, 300H&H. All bolts from 50s and 60s.
I can't carry them all.
I shoot the 280 and 223 the most.

After reading this thread I just don't know what to do with the 2k rounds of '06 I have. I do want to know, is a fifteen pound Robins egg heavy?

Wait.... does the robin weigh 15 pounds or is it the egg that weighs 15 pounds? This could make a difference in my determination of whether or not it's heavy.;)

My very favorite modern writer (Hunter S. Thompson).

"I did, after all, have weapons. And I liked to shoot them - especially at night when the great blue flame would leap out, along with all that noise....and, yes the bullets, too. We couldn't ignore that. Big balls of lead/alloy flying around the valley at speeds of up to 3700 feet per second....."

I hear that!The reason I shy way from those big boy's is the damage done to me;). I've learned to tone things down a mite in my many years on this planet.I even went to the 150 gr pills in the 06.I tend to flinch a bit, when I know I'm about to get smacked.That said......The 3006 can be loaded from varmit to Griz, and do it all well.It don't get much better!

The most versatile sporting cartridge for North America is the 280 Remington. It is only marginally better than the 270, which is marginally better than the 30-06.

There is absolutely no need for any 30 cal or smaller 'magnum'. If you need a magnum, the 338 is a minimum, and the 375 the standard.

I've killed more deer and elk than I can remember with that old skin buster and hide bruzer,
I've taken a bunch with other calibers aside but I keep coming back to it. Nope, I'll stick with it.

Now Spitpatch, were all waiting with baited breath, guess that should have been in the fishing section,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:s0093:

I don't think there's any question the 30-06 has lived it's day and done a fine job doing it but it's time to retire it and move on. The Saami pressures are rated too low for it and technology moved on. The .308 replaced it as the king of the medium calibers and the 7mm Remington Magnum is the king of the magnums. The .22 LR will never die and the
223 remington fills in the lower end of the varmint section. For hand guns the .357 mag will be here till the end of time and the .44 mag will rule the roost as the top magnum. The semi auto's will have the 9mm and the .40 SW till the ends of the earth. Not to leave the little 30-30 an orphan but it will be the one gun poor mans gun for eternity.

Mecanik
I completely disagree the 30-06 is still one of the top selling cartridges and is more accurate than many people can take advantage of. I also would disagree with the 7mm magnum being king of the magnums - I think the 300WM is probably more often purchased. Here is another thing, because you own a magnum does not necessarily mean that the individual shoots it well. I think the question to me is where can I find ammo for it in a tight spot - my arguement is this - it seems regardless of how small a town I go into I can always find a box of 30-06 Remington core loks. To me that is important.

I also feel that a 45 is better than either a 9 or a 40 but that is for a different time and place.

Respectfully

James Ruby