JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have NEVER been a wheel gun guy but, I have had a LOT of them. A LOT of those were snubbies. Back when they first started trying to make a 1911 in sub compact I wanted one BADLY, that would work. Tried a few Detonics. I wanted to love the pistol but never could find one that worked 100%. Every time I "thought" I had one the damn thing would hang up with good ammo. It was enough to eventually make me sell another one. I finally ended up with one of the old Charter Target Bulldogs. I had a Smith shorten the 4" tube to 3 and found the gun I would carry when I was not willing to carry my 1911. I ended up with a few of them, still wish I would have kept one. Then for years I kept a 5 shooter in .38 as a "coat pocket" gun. One Daughter got last one when she struck out on her own. By then they had perfected the subcompact autos so I never had another wheel gun snubbie but, there is NOTHING wrong with them.

It's sad it came to that but there were other options. The airline is responsible for getting your luggage to your final destination. If you land in a place where there is an issue, do not take possession of your suitcase if there will be a gun issue (NJ, MA, NY). With a handgun in Cali, you should only have a magazine issue and in San Francisco an ammo issue (from the little I know about their law). The airlines and TSA don't care about what is in your gun case, even in the cases where they look inside. They are making sure it is unloaded (not that most at the airline ticket counter would know what that looks like) and that the case is secure. Sure, there are some ooutliers where local LEO gets involved and you have to account for this.

This is why, even though I can carry in all 50 states, I still avoid flying into NJ, NY, and MA whenever possible (I fly to Cali frequently, never an issue). And in some cases, a revolver is a good option due to mag capacity limits (as are my 1911s). This is what makes this class still relevant and something for armed citizens to consider.

Heres another.

1716573521919.png

Wow.....I saw something NEW today.

Aloha, Mark

PS........is it a result of Americans having less knowledgeable about their firearms?

Last Edited:
Yeah.....I worded that incorrectly the first time. I always knew that .38 special could be used in a .357 Mag. "Learned"......refers to the fact/issue that the Manufacturer(s) would do that.

Aloha, Mark

Well I'll be darned! I didn't know they did that? Thought it would be common knowledge that with only .357 Mag on the gun that it would work for .38 spec too. sorry you had to take another pic. I would have believed you. Mea Culpa.
Nothing to be sorry about and I didn't mind taking the photo. My thoughts are, with new folks getting into carry/home defense, the .357/.38 ammo thing isn't as well known. Wording it on the barrel that way may help with confusion. Not sure if that's it but, it would make sense to me.

I get your point but I think anyone could pick up a revolver, look through the gap at the rear of the cylinder to see its loaded, point and fire. All with the only instruction being "I saw it on TV". revolvers have the least user controls, they continue to fire no matter how poorly they are gripped, they don't drop magazines, and don't have multiple safeties. DR
More to do with actually shooting well. Striker mag-dumps occur with regularity. wheel gun shooters are and must be more conservative and actually "aim." Semis have become just the firearms version of dissing someone - toss 15-20 rounds their way to express your disapproval of their facial expression, for example.

I get your point but I think anyone could pick up a revolver, look through the gap at the rear of the cylinder to see its loaded, point and fire. All with the only instruction being "I saw it on TV". revolvers have the least user controls, they continue to fire no matter how poorly they are gripped, they don't drop magazines, and don't have multiple safeties. DR
They are not recoil dependent...in other words, you can have a subpar grip, and can push the muzzle hard into something and they'll still work.

As we see in striker-fired incidents, anybody can drive an automatic, but not all that well. There is dexterity involved in manual transmission driving and in double-action shooting. There is more thinking involved, more tactile sensation, and more satisfaction when done well.

Final answer.

Oh, the new Kimber K6XS. About $600-something. Not a "real" beauty, but at 15 ounces, will you remember that you are carrying it?

View attachment 1886743
Heel toe downshifting for the win!

As demonstrated by my favorite driver Walter Rohrl:

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/EbLrq6cEPAw?si=D2BKuEG6np_iMb4X

View: https://youtu.be/wqREtbLe4sY?si=P9U6kYwnm0Qffonz

Those grips look more "shootable" than the standard magna stocks my little Model 60 in .357 had.
They absolutely are much better than any other grips I've had on the gun. These grips make the ones on my 686 feel fat and awkward. The 60's grips are much smaller in diameter and even though I don't have small hands, I love the way I can wrap my fingers around it and hold it securely. It's more like making a fist than grabbing onto something.
These are the new grips on the 686. I'm trying to find something slimmer yet for it.

1791 holster.jpg

View attachment 1886908

Wow.....I saw something NEW today.

Aloha, Mark

PS........is it a result of Americans having less knowledgeable about their firearms?
What is interesting with this manufacture is that they have made 38 special only models with no mag noted and that lettering is exactly the same as when you see the 357 mag model with different font lettering under the 38 . That seems all get the 38 special with option of 357 cylinder and lettering .

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top