JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the AR has finally transcended the military or law enforcement association. It wasn't too long ago when only the SWAT teams for police agencies used them. "Machine guns on the street!" was probably the reaction of many news media outlets when the cops asked for patrol rifles after the North Hollywood shootout. Sure a lot of people like watching war movies but most don't envision owning a gun made for combat. I think a lot of it had to do with video games. Instead of just watching guns on the big screen they envisioned themselves firing the guns in the games. This may have led to greater interest in getting the real thing.

I have also noticed that many service members don't know a lot about guns. Sure they may fire it in basic and have to qualify with it once a year but unless they are in a combat arms MOS they may not have any interest or real experience with the weapon. Even some of my National Guard soldiers in an Infantry unit had a lot of trouble qualifying with it let alone mastering its intricacies or understanding them. The AR platforms are so numerous and varied now that the price has come down and opened up an entirely new demographic of the population to using it. So, if "are you military or law enforcement?" is the question. I was both, but even if I wasn't, if the military and the cops use it then it is probably a good weapon system.

former Marine, some security....I am an AR user/owner because I know how to use it. which is a good thing I think. would hate to see a person with a firearm they had no clue on how to handle or use. the AR is a simple platform. plus for being 40 some years old it is still dead sexy :s0155:

Reired military with a few tours under my belt. Guess I am the odd duck out. I am no a fan of eiher the platform our the caliber. I use one for varmit hunting and thats the only time I touch it. I DO own a few AKs and variants though.

Reired military with a few tours under my belt. Guess I am the odd duck out. I am no a fan of eiher the platform our the caliber. I use one for varmit hunting and thats the only time I touch it. I DO own a few AKs and variants though.

I got a letter from my son in Air Force basic yesterday. He regretted to inform me he didnt get marksman because of multiple failures of his M-16 to feed or eject during his range session. Yep. That's the M-16 I remember!

Retired USAF pilot here who managed an M-16 qual and even got to shoot one in an EIC match. However, I can't seem to keep an AR. I have bought and sold three. Now if I were to start shooting Highpower Competition again I might wind up with another DCM legal AR. Barring that, I can't see getting another one. Everytime I consider at an AR for any other application it just doesn't stack up well against my own personal critera.

I'm not saying AR platforms are bad, if fact it's quite the opposite. There are some things they do exceeding well. I guess I just don't hunt and shoot in such a manner where an AR's advantages outweight it's disadvantages.

you don't have to be ex military (I am) but it seems they derived the AR designation from the anal retentive nature of some AR15 owners. Worried about whether their rifles match their handbags and pumps, I guess.
Don't get me wrong I LOVE the AR15, but christ on a crutch, it's a rifle take it out and shoot it. I see sooo many up for sale without ever being fired seriously. If I bought one like that I'd take it home and sanitize it, lord knows what the previous owner has been doing to it.

I don't know why they would ask if you are LEO/Military, unless they wanted to figure out quickly if you know how to handle the weapon, or if they have to walk you through it.

:s0155:
This is very common when at a firing line with poeple one has never met. It gives you a sense of there respect for a weapon, any weapon, let alone an AR style rifle. As well as there in depth experience as far as handeling a weapon.

Attacking the exoteric root of this post:
On the other side of this, I think it is a shame when the general public believes it is not ok to engage professional tactics for defending ones family and property.

It is a god given right to be able to protect yourself and the others you love, or any one who may be in harms way. So furthering yourself with tactical carbine classes, or advanced H2H dynamic training, etc should be a good thing, civilian or not. As a human, you have the right to do what you feel neccesary to prepare for a hostile situation. Within all means of the law ofcourse.

So I think most poeple are just taken back, and do not understand, when they see someone engaging these advanced self defense techniques, they themselves should be familiar with. They assume you must be "disciplined through Proffessional means" as opoposed to "studying means of defending ones self and property independently" (independently could also be proffesionaly). There are many orginizations that cater to civilians, and directly take there curriculum, form military and police experience and training.
Suarez INternational is one I highly recommend. Front Sight is a little spendy, but good.

Granted, I personaly, am ex-mil, but I promote on a constant basis the empowerment of civilians, not just under the 2nd, but as part of our inalienable rights as individuals

Do they just ask you, or other customer's as well? One gun store/range I go to asks pretty much every customer if they are military or LEO because they offer discounts to them. Maybe same situation for you?

Yes, but it seems like a lifetime ago. I am running MagPul MOE furniture on my AR but that's it. No lights, lasers, grips, or optics. I like keeping it simple and prefer my iron sights. I choose the AR because it's what I know and I am effective with it. I use it hard, clean it when I find the time, and shoot at least a mag through it every time I hit the range. It has never let me down.

Most of the people coming into the shop to buy AR's are not LE, Military, or former of either. Most people just know them as fun to shoot, very accurate, incredibly reliable, somewhat cheap to shoot, and it is easy to make one your own. In my experience, military guys do tend to want to have something similar to what they used or are going to use. LE however (unless we are talking Tac 30), usually do not seem to be all that into AR's. Although many are allowed to and do carry one in their patrol car, they do not tend to use them much and usually do not have tons of desire to spend what little money they make to customize something that will spend much of its time in the trunk.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top