JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a plain old civilian, not a veteran or member of any law enforcement agency. I've been casually researching an AR-15 purchase/build for a while now. When I'm in a shop selling them, and start asking about different models, etc. I'm routinely asked if I am either LEO or ex-military.

Same goes for some ranges and clubs I've visited.

Am I over thinking this, or is there some underlying "professional" AR-15 fraternity that I'll never be cool enough to belong to? Maybe people are jealous that I might have the budget for this? Who knows...

I have the utmost respect for all these groups, but just wanted to see if this is a common experience for any other members here.

If you have been doing your research and have knowlege of the different companies and features while also projecting self confidence.

Then you may not apear to be an average citizen or plain old civilian.

I'm not saying gun shop emloyees should jump to a conclusion about you but getting mistaken for a LEO or ex-military man isn't so bad

I got a buzz cut because I ride a motorcycle daily and dont want to deal with a hair style and helmet hair.

I am mistaken for LEO or Military all the time but I am close to the freshly renamed Joint Base Lewis-McChord.

I also have an AR :s0155:

Maybe they're asking you so they know if they can BS you or not! You are in a gun shop afterall.

I knew nothing about them (I'm ex infantry but from England) but dropping a couple hints about my background seemed to stop the flow of BS from the sales guys :)

I see more wanna be, civilian commandos (myself included), with AR's, at the range and at the shows. The market is flooded with AR stuff right now, all over the internet and catalogs, anybody can get set up with an AR. I don't know why they would ask if you are LEO/Military, unless they wanted to figure out quickly if you know how to handle the weapon, or if they have to walk you through it.

I'm ex-military, but I don't think people really associate the gun with the group. I do look exactly like I did in the service though, wiht a few wrinkles and grey hairs, so maybe no-one asks. I still use all the terminology I learned in the service though... maybe that's easy to pick up on?

One thing of note... these ARs are MUCH MUCH nicer than what we had as standard issue in 1992. They sure work a lot better, even if they dont have the automatic or burst setting.

I see more wanna be, civilian commandos (myself included), with AR's, at the range and at the shows. The market is flooded with AR stuff right now, all over the internet and catalogs, anybody can get set up with an AR. I don't know why they would ask if you are LEO/Military, unless they wanted to figure out quickly if you know how to handle the weapon, or if they have to walk you through it.

Count me in the "wanna be" category too.........I tell ya, they are the neatest thing since sliced bread! Recoil is next to nothing, people just love to play show and tell at the range.......my friends call them "Adult Legos".

I have one complete, 2 in various stages of build, one of which will by my daughter's first rifle. The collapsible stocks are perfect to grow in to, combined with low recoil, you can't go wrong, now all we have to do is get one finished in PINK!

:)

Count me in the "wanna be" category too.........I tell ya, they are the neatest thing since sliced bread! Recoil is next to nothing, people just love to play show and tell at the range.......my friends call them "Adult Legos".

I have one complete, 2 in various stages of build, one of which will by my daughter's first rifle. The collapsible stocks are perfect to grow in to, combined with low recoil, you can't go wrong, now all we have to do is get one finished in PINK!

:)

Cavalry Arms does a run of pink once in a while.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/galleries/CR/MKII/18.jpg.html

i just say no but i play one on TV

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads