JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not military here - however, I could see how someone who has been in the military would be familiar with this style of gun & naturally gravitate toward it. So, there may be a lot of former military folks who are into these.

I'm retired military, and anyone with eyes can tell. I do own three ARs', each chambered for a different caliber. But I don't break'em out very often. I enjoy shooting my old M24 that the brass back at Ft Benning were kind enough to let me keep. ARs' are nice, but theres nothing like hittin' yer mark at 850yds+.

X-Navy Submariner & small town LEO; I own four ARs, a couple of AKs. As a LEO (early 80's), I was issued a Remington 870 & S&W L frame (no rifles allowed way back then in my slant six powered brown Dodge Diplomat....lol.). I did qualified with a M-14 & 1911A1 while on active duty (1987-94), however I never did get to shot a M16A1 or A2.

I guess I have always liked "black guns" & probably always will.

Maybe they are trying to give you the LEO/Military discount.
I've been asked for that reason. :s0155:

This would be my guess. If you look anything like a possible .mil or LEO they may ask. The discount is substantial and might turn a window shopper into an instant buyer. Glock sells $500 pistols to them for $385. Rock river Arms gives at least $100 off. Local shops may give 10% off accessories.

Next time they ask you, ask them if they give such discounts and if they do say No I am not, but thanks for supporting our men in arms.

If you are fit and short hair they may take that as a possible indicator. If you are way overweight and have a beard, and look like you don;t out much and want an AR, they may ask if you are a gun magazine writer. :D

Vetern of the Cold War...I just missed going to Desert Storm to work on the Apache weapons systems as I was a single parent when I ETS. Anyway I love the AR platform even though I only have one complete rifle right now. The weapons system that was the most fun to work on was the 20mm Vulcan cannon on the Cobra! Too bad I could not of brought one of those home:cool:

Count me in the "wanna be" category too.........I tell ya, they are the neatest thing since sliced bread! Recoil is next to nothing, people just love to play show and tell at the range.......my friends call them "Adult Legos".

I have one complete, 2 in various stages of build, one of which will by my daughter's first rifle. The collapsible stocks are perfect to grow in to, combined with low recoil, you can't go wrong, now all we have to do is get one finished in PINK!

:)

They do have the cool factor, and there is so much that can be done to them. The fact that is hard for me to wrap my noodle around is that the design is 40 years old.

I'm also military, have been for 20 years, and some how I have just got around to buying my first.

Current military (USN) but I did get to play with the Army guys at Ft Jackson and deploy to be sandbox sailor back in 2006-2007. I currently own one AR but have owned and built many. I think that the current and former military guys gravitate toward them because we were taught with them and know them.

Within the past couple of years, AR platform rifles have become the leading rifle type sold in the US. I have no research to back me up on this, but my gut tells me that our culture may be getting over the "evil black rifle" or "assault rifle" labels put on them by the anti-gunners. I've even heard life long shooters, people who should know better, refer to them as "assault rifles," because it had become popular jargon.

With the fear of gun control by the Obama administration on the horizon, many folks simply woke up and realized there may be a "bad moon arising."

I'm both former military and retired LEO, but AR rifles were not a factor in either of my uniform experiences. I was strictly a pistolero until 1994, when the Clinton Gun Ban was wrought upon us. Since that time I've accumulated enough firearms to stage a revolution in some small S. American countries, according to my wife. :cool: Bottom line is, I just think folks are catching on that they have uses other than war and a "get em while you can" reaction.

Not I, But trained by my father. US Army SrgMgr.. 6 tours in NAN. Left after 12 yrs of service.

I am a little unclear. Are you saying your father served six tours in Viet Nam and got out of the Army after 12 years holding the rank of Sergeant Major? If that is what you mean, all I can say is Whoa!!!! He did some amazing and hellacious soldiering in a short period of time. :s0155:

I'm ex-military and don't own an AR platform. I prefer the Mini-14 for my needs.

8-yrs. Army... a couple as an MP and the rest in the Infantry..... so BOTH Milspec and LEO!

I own a Colt AR15A2 HBAR, and built an "Franken AR" M4A3 last year that works awesomely. I also have a (matched set) stripped flat top upper and 6.8SPC marked lower that I'm going to build a "long range" rifle from, as well as two more mint condition stripped lowers for future projects.

I have also owned an AK (loved it), and I own a Galil (AWESOME rifle)...

Best answer ever if asked if your are former military

Yes but I left due to my sexual prefrence

After a few ackward seconds pass

I prefered to have sex with my captians wife

It's a good laugh and next time you come in the shop they will remember you.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top